Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
vets seem to recommend Iams a lot. I have the Dr.s on at the moment and the vet who was on today recommended Iams for complete health. My vet also recommended it. I wonder why Iams and not something that people on the forum seem to really like like California Natural, Eagle Pack, or something like that. What do you think?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
BC they get promotions and deals and are encouraged to do so- same with Science Diet.

I would never feed Iams or Science Diet. Eukanuba is a bit better IMO, but still not a choice I'd make when so many options seem healthier in my opinion.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I'm not touching this one with a 10 foot pole. Last time I gave an opinion on why vets recommend the food that they do, I was pretty much called an idiot.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It just seems so wrong to support something that may not be the best choice for dogs.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fostermom - I won't call you an idiot. I was just really curious and a little confused. I think it makes it harder to make a good food choice.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
I'm a little out of touch I guess as I don't know Dr s. I assume it must be a tv show. I would guess since Iams is easily accessible, affordable and a middle of the road food(some would argue that). I feed my lab Iams and he does very well on it. And I fed it to my old Golden retriever for many years. No complaints here.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
But some people feel it IS the best choice. And that is where we become vicious! lol

To me is it? Lord no. Raw is absolutely, indisputably the best IMO, followed by certain kibbles (and yes some of my dogs eat kibble- Blue Wilderness- every day and all of them eat it at least occasionally). Raw takes some work to perfect, and is not for everyone or every dog. I will eventually switch all of mine to probably at least 75% raw, but we're making sure everyone is a good solid eater, one needs to gain, one needs to lose drastic amounts, etc.

It makes no sense to me why people feed dogs cheap foods with poorer quality ingredients, but it makes no sense to other people why I spend what I do to feed my crew. I can get wound up in these threads, but really- EVERYONE here loves his/her dogs and does what experience and research has told them is best for them.

Personally, at least two of my dogs cannot tolerate cheap food. Brooklyn came to me with disgusting, swollen shut, infected ears, gross teeth, and morbid obesity. Within two weeks of being here the ears healed without antibiotics, I scaled her teeth (and I know they will stay clean with raw, meaty bones) and she's lost quite a bit of weight. The other I did try on a mid-grade food when he was a puppy and he started scratching the next day (Starlite). So I gave the rest of it to my neighbor and went and bought some good stuff. To me, it's not even worth trying it with the others.

BTW the food that Brooklyn ate before I had her was Pedigree, which is always easy to spot thanks to the gross ears, poor coats, and massive yellow poops that usually go with it in my experience (at least with Goldens eating it- almost every fat infected foster I have ever had was fed Pedigree by the former owner). The food that made Starlite itch was Purina One, which I know many dogs do well on.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
msdogs1976- That's true. They may think it is a good choice. I don't know what kind of research goes on with things like dog food. Maybe b/c it has been around longer they know more long term nutrition on that compared to the newer foods. I'm just thinking out loud here.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
My Vet's office also has a little boutique and they sell Science Diet, collars, leashes, cleansers, etc. I'm sure they think it's a healthy food or they wouldn't sell it or promote it. I personally do not like Science Diet. It gave Sam the world's worst gas. They do make some prescription formulas that are at times medically necessary. I have never tried Iams but my niece feeds it to her Lab and is happy with it.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
I think we all know whatever philosophy one takes with respect to dog food, it is a 'philosophy'. We can all link to sources to back up our choices, but there is no one clear cut scientifically proven way to go. We pick our food and if our dogs respond in a positive manner, we have made a good choice. I'm glad we do have several options to choose from because one method or brand of food does not work for all.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I asked my vet...who is a very good friend of mine. She says she would recommend Eukanuba or Science Diet over Iams, but would recommend Iams over brands like Eagle Pack, because she knows that they have done the research and clinical trials to show that thier food does not lead to issues like metabolic problems or hip dysplasia...I'm paraphrasing but it was something to that effect. I know she doesn't recommend food to me to make a profit or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It has a lot to do with size and advertising dollars. Colgate-Palmolive (Science Diet) and Proctor & Gamble (IAMS, Eukanuba) are mega conglomerates. Their advertising budgets are huge and their products are available everywhere. They are names that have been known for decades - just like Maytag washers and Skippy peanut butter. There's a familiarity and comfort level about the products to much of the public. Some smaller companies advertise much more modestly and believe word-of-mouth by satisfied customers helps sell their products.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
When I first got my cat I didn't know ANYTHING about food. They said I should feed her Iams. So I was for a long time... then I started doing research. Found about all the nasty fillers and junk, so I switched her to Blue Buffalo. She's done AMAZINGLY on it. Softer coat, better breath, better poops.

When we got Mojo, they suggested Pro Plan. I know a lot of dogs do well on Pro Plan, but I also knew it was Purina and still had fillers and stuff. It upset me that they were pushing it so hard on me.

They've been on Natural Choice and have done very well. When I switch them to adult food I will be going with Blue Buffalo as well.

I asked the vet about it because I didn't want the day to come up where they ask "what are you feeding them?" ... And they said they prefer Pro Plan, but really as long as it's a good quality food they are okay with it.

So... I guess... yeah. They probably get pushed with Purina and Iams.

Then again, my vet REALLY tries to push rawhide... and said NONONO to raw bones. :gotme::gotme::gotme:

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,601 Posts
Many Veterinarians recommend Iams because it's a good mid-range food. It's widely available, modestly priced and has a history of success over several decades with millions of dogs.

It's a "safe" recommendation for normal healthy dogs.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Many Veterinarians recommend Iams because it's a good mid-range food. It's widely available, modestly priced and has a history of success over several decades with millions of dogs.

It's a "safe" recommendation for normal healthy dogs.
I totally agree. Tucker can't eat Iams/Eukanuba because of his allergy to corn, but our cats have been on the Iams Multicat formula for years and we have never had any problems. They all have great coats and lots of energy. My very first cat that I had when I was a kid lived for almost 19 years on Iams. My parents fed Iams to our pets religiously when I was growing up. Iams has been around for many, many years and a lot of dogs and cats thrive on it. While it may not be the right food for some dogs, like ours, it's certianly not a bad food at all.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
"Once in practice, vets who sell Science Diet and other premium foods directly from their offices pocket profits of as much as 40%"

WALLSTREET JOURNAL NOV '97
http://www.4pawsu.com/vet_dogfood.htm
I was in a local co-op plant/feed store the other day and I noticed they had Science Diet's product line. I couldn't believe how high a bag cost. I figured feed stores could be more competitive on the price, But I guess SD must have established prices to sell by. I don't use SD btw, just looked out of curiosity.

Thanks for the link.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
I juat have to say something good about vets since it seems, from some posts, that many of them are recommending lower quality foods. My vet stocks Innova and Evo. He has the presciription SD for special needs (2 of my cats are on a urinary formula).

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,601 Posts
I juat have to say something good about vets since it seems, from some posts, that many of them are recommending lower quality foods.
"Quality" for many is based upon philosophical perspective, not the end result a product delivers.

Most Veterinarians base their decisions on "outcome" or the result a product delivers. Do the higher end foods produce a better "result" when fed to normal healthy dogs? I don't think most Veterinarians believe they do.

(I don't either.)

Those that are not dealing with a normal healthy dog, such as one with allergies, have different concerns. They have to select foods that help to boost their dogs' weakend or malfunctioning immune system, so they can help their dog be the best it can be. This is a completely different perspective for selecting a food, when compared to owners of normal healthy dogs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts