Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family drove to Maine on Sunday through rough roads(you Mainer's have it bad from the NH border to the Brunswick area) and rough hard rain. We drove 146 miles to see puppies. We have 2nd pick for a female. Now, we get to see the puppies and my husband likes the big male golden he sees! I'm thinking to myself and the GRF with so many folks with more than one golden. I'm not sure I can handle that! Definitely not two puppies at the same time! Maybe in a year or so, we can get another one. Time will tell....

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
If I am understanding this, that was the first time you saw the puppies and your husband fell in love with one of them who happens to be male. I think that it's better to pick the one you are attached to rather than get the one gender you thought you'd rather have before seeing them. My Max is a lot goofier and super loving than my Willow girl ever was. And as much as I love her dearly, I will be getting boys from now on.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heart set on a female

I have three boys already, two children(12 & 15) + husband. I am also a nurse in a VA hospital which caters to a population of 99% men. We currently only have one female patient right now. I work with 90% women, but want "my own little girl," at home, since I'm done in the human baby department. I'm getting a female this time around, but the idea of two goldens isn't too far fetched, just can't figure out how it would all work out.

·
16,000 Posts
I do not recommend getting two puppies at once, and particularly not littermates. In fact, as a breeder I will not sell littermates to anyone.
You hae a busy family already, and I suggest that focusing on the care and training of one puppy now will be more beneficial and enjoyable, and adding another later will be easier.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
If I am understanding this, that was the first time you saw the puppies and your husband fell in love with one of them who happens to be male. I think that it's better to pick the one you are attached to rather than get the one gender you thought you'd rather have before seeing them. My Max is a lot goofier and super loving than my Willow girl ever was. And as much as I love her dearly, I will be getting boys from now on.
I totally agree! My first golden was a female, she was a great pet, and dearly missed, but not near as goofy & loving as Hank. He's like my shadow and will do anything to please. Maggie was more independent and stubborn. I'd pick the one that steals your heart regardless of the gender.

As for getting two at the same time, well all I can say is, when Hank's brother/littermate is here, it's complete chaos! Two big 5 month old puppies wresting and playing is not easy to ignore. There are a few on this forum that have successfully raised littermates, maybe they will chime in with some pointers.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I have three boys already, two children(12 & 15) + husband. I am also a nurse in a VA hospital which caters to a population of 99% men. We currently only have one female patient right now. I work with 90% women, but want "my own little girl," at home, since I'm done in the human baby department. I'm getting a female this time around, but the idea of two goldens isn't too far fetched, just can't figure out how it would all work out.

I understand your logic but understand what kind of dog you will likely be getting. If you are looking for a likely independent loves you when she wants to dog, then a female is for you. If you are looking for a dog that will make you feel like a rock star and loves to cuddle and to make you happy, then you want a boy. Some people here have girls that are loving like the boys but they are a rarity when you consider the entire female population. I think that you need to understand what you are choosing really - you're choosing a personality type. If you really want a girl, then get one but research the differences and choose by those standards not by the plumbing. Have you thought of a name yet?

·
Premium Member
18,638 Posts
Yes, Goldens are addicting. Like potato chips, you can't have just one!

Talk to your breeder about what personality you would like to have in your dog, let them guide you to the right puppy in the litter, they usually do a good job because they know the puppies temperments and personalities.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Which breeder did you go to? We're in Maine. We're about to get our second golden frmo the same breeder we got Tucker from. :)

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
I do not recommend getting two puppies at once, and particularly not littermates. In fact, as a breeder I will not sell littermates to anyone.
You hae a busy family already, and I suggest that focusing on the care and training of one puppy now will be more beneficial and enjoyable, and adding another later will be easier.

What she said!

I usually advise customers to keep at least two years between puppys.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ditto on the female/male personality differences. Our first dog was a female sheltie. She was beautiful and cute, but really went her own way most of the time. As a child, we always had male dogs. So when I had my own household and got our first female dog, it was quite a shock to me. I thought all dogs were goofy and loving!

So, its been male dogs for us ever since.

Kris

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
...and I also agree with everyone else. Never get 2 puppies at the same time, especially littermates!

·
Ct/FL Golden Express
51 Posts
Addiction?

Absolutely--we have our 3rd and 4th goldens and yesterday I asked my hubby if he would consider another pup in the spring...

Attachments

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
We are on our second round of raising two puppies at the same time....our first ones came back in 2000 when we got Reno and shortly thereafter Phoenix..they were 2 months apart in age. We never had any issues with them in terms of dominance, aggression, fighting etc. They were both obedient and well trained but we spend ALOT of time with our dogs. Until the day we lost Phoenix, they were the best of friends. They were the perfect boys together

Our second round came shortly after Phoenix passed away in March. We got Austin and 1 month later, Lincoln..again they were 2 months apart in age. We also had an 8 year old (now 9) male GR. These 2 have been a bit of a challenge. They have some dominance issues to sort out. When they were younger, they would fight but only during play time. Any other time, they were great. Again, they are obedient and listen well for the most part. But, like the other 2, ALL of our spare time is basically spent with the dogs. We don't have much of a life but we knew that going into this a second time.

Would I recommend 2 puppies at the same time???? Probably not!!! We wouldn't do it again. We have been somewhat lucky though in having pretty well behaved dogs (with the exception of the odd scrap). They require a great deal of time and years of commitment. Having said that, the joy they bring to us can't be put into words!!!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I agree that female goldens are much more independent and not near as loving cuddle bugs as male goldens. Hopefully your breeder knows what you are looking for and of course understands the slight difference in golden males and females.

I have had two golden females, three males, loved them all but will always have golden male lovebugs forever.

Yes, goldens are addictive. It's a good thing. : )

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Yes goldens are addictive. I have three and foster with a rescue. It is never boring at my house.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well, I picked Sully Ann with my heart (it had been a week since my Sadie Mae had passed). She was so cute just like all golden puppies. And then...she became independent at four months and only wanted me when she was tired. Okay, I then I researched to see if it was me. The books all said that gender didn't matter so I thought I just picked the independent one of the litter. Then I happened to read an article that summed it up. A golden girl says, "Love me, love me." The golden boy will say, "I love you." Yep, my Scotty is the lovebug and his sister is the diva who we all serve. I agree that personality should be a major factor in choosing the puppy--remember the movie Marley. Oh, that puppy was cute, but he lived by his own rules.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
well, I love my little girl! Independent, yes, but also very loving!

I am not trying to insult girls - not everyone wants a velcro dog.... I mean, I've heard that. I don't understand that attitude ;) but I know they are out there. Some people would prefer the independent nature of the female. The point I am trying to make is that it's not just a matter of plumbing. You are not getting the same dog if it's a girl or a boy. I think it's super important to understand that and base your decision on that rather than the, gee, I'd really like a girl.

When I got Willow I wanted a girl because I said, well, girls become mommies so they must be more nurturing and loving. Ha! Boy did I have the wrong idea!! She's my baby and I love her madly, I do, but it's so nice to have a dog now that loves me openly as much as I love him.

How old is your doggy? She looks super adorable!!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I am not trying to insult girls - not everyone wants a velcro dog.... I mean, I've heard that. I don't understand that attitude ;) but I know they are out there. Some people would prefer the independent nature of the female. The point I am trying to make is that it's not just a matter of plumbing. You are not getting the same dog if it's a girl or a boy. I think it's super important to understand that and base your decision on that rather than the, gee, I'd really like a girl.

When I got Willow I wanted a girl because I said, well, girls become mommies so they must be more nurturing and loving. Ha! Boy did I have the wrong idea!! She's my baby and I love her madly, I do, but it's so nice to have a dog now that loves me openly as much as I love him.

How old is your doggy? She looks super adorable!!
I wasn't insulted, don't worry! And maybe Tess' independence is exactly what I like about her: she has a mind of her own, but as I said, she is also a great cuddler...She is 11 weeks tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts