Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having wonderful rain, solid downpours to softly falling down. Our rain gauge shows 2" this morning at 4:00AM and praying for this to double before it ends.

Put my rain-gear on and took Kye for her walk. Loved it and she was not fazed with the occ. lightning and thunder. She is soaking wet, so lots of towel drying. I pretended I was you from up north writing about getting bundled up and facing the cold and snow. Nothing like this here as it is in the 50's but still rain has been so scarce I felt like it was an adventure. Now to put gear on and get Coop out. Then a shower for me for sure!

This type of rain will really help our lakes, just need much more to help with the coming summer.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
This is nice, even if I can't walk outside this morning!

Here is a website article discussing lake levels here:

Lake levels down across North Texas | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth

by COLLEEN COYLE
Bio | Email | Follow: @wfaaweathertoo
WFAA
Posted on January 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Updated yesterday at 6:59 PM
LAKE LEWISVILLE - The drought has impacted lake levels all across North Texas. Lake Lewisville like many others has seen little improvement over recent months. Conditions have continued to deteriorate since the drought began in September 2010.
However, there is hope on the horizon as soaking rains are headed to North Texas Tuesday and Wednesday. With 2-3" of rain estimated to fall over the next 48 hours, lake levels may see a much needed improvement.
The River Forecast Center at the National Weather Service indicates that the average lake in North Texas is 3-5 feet below normal. However, some are well above that average such as Lake Lavon which is 12 feet down and Benbrook Lake which is 7 feet down. As heavy rain moves in over the next 48 hours, lake levels could see a 1-2 foot rise. More substantial rises in lake levels would be found south and east in North Texas where the heaviest rain is expected to fall.
Current Lake Level Conditions at some North Texas Lakes:
Lake Lavon: 12 feet below
Benbrook Lake: 7 feet below
Lake Lewisville: 6 feet below
Lake Tawakoni: 6 feet below
Eagle Mountain Lake: 5 feet below
Lake Ray Roberts: 5 feet below
Lake Arlington: 4 feet below
Lake Ray Hubbard: 4 feet below
Grapevine Lake: 3 feet below
Lake Worth: 3 feet below
Joe Pool Lake: 1 foot below
With the soil wetter due to the rainfall in January, more runoff into the lakes is expected. The National Weather Service believes North Texas would need 2-3 more of these types of soaking rain events to bring lake levels back up to a more comfortable level.
North Texans can only hope for more rain to help Texas dig out of this ongoing drought.
Lavon, Grapevine, Benbrook and Ray Hubbard are the most critical for Dallas, Tarrant and Collin county municipal water customers. This rain may mean Collin county doesn't need to impose Stage 4 water restrictions. They are now in Stage 3, Dallas in Stage 1.

Until Toby all our dogs were storm phobic. It's odd to see him just carry on as normal while it's thundering outside. I'm counting my blessings about that, though at times I jump myself.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes, I am glad you posted this, I had no idea so many of our lakes were still this low! Scary because we are known for our abundant lakes and water sports. DH and I are really concerving our water. Let grass in yard die and no plants in flowerbeds. Trying to keep the hedges alive, but barely. Don't wash our cars on weekends like we did. Hopefully everyone is doing their part because I don't know if we can make another summer as last.

Our second golden boy Fred was terrified of all storms and as he aged it became worse and he was afraid of even light rains. He passed away during a horrible storm and I will always think his fright and his 12 yrs was just too much for his heart. Horrible way to die..in fear.
So far, the kids don't mind the noise at all and I pray this lasts, but with the drought they are just now getting to hear thunder! No rain means no storms, so these two rains we have gotten are their first. I have sat up most of the night with them in the den to just watch for reactions, but none. They slept through most of it or would raise their heads to see what was going on. I sure hope they learn to take storms as nothing to fear. Been through this once, would hope the kids don't learn this.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yikes, I am glad you posted this, I had no idea so many of our lakes were still this low! Scary because we are known for our abundant lakes and water sports. DH and I are really concerving our water. Let grass in yard die and no plants in flowerbeds. Trying to keep the hedges alive, but barely. Don't wash our cars on weekends like we did. Hopefully everyone is doing their part because I don't know if we can make another summer as last.

Our second golden boy Fred was terrified of all storms and as he aged it became worse and he was afraid of even light rains. He passed away during a horrible storm and I will always think his fright and his 12 yrs was just too much for his heart. Horrible way to die..in fear.
So far, the kids don't mind the noise at all and I pray this lasts, but with the drought they are just now getting to hear thunder! No rain means no storms, so these two rains we have gotten are their first. I have sat up most of the night with them in the den to just watch for reactions, but none. They slept through most of it or would raise their heads to see what was going on. I sure hope they learn to take storms as nothing to fear. Been through this once, would hope the kids don't learn this.
We intentionally don't react to thunder claps just to prevent Toby from picking up anything from us. Both our other dogs started showing signs at 7 years. Odd, but I figured it was the aging process that triggered something. Toby was 8 yesterday and so far so good, though he did bark at it during his puppy days. He's such a Diva Dog. This morning I did the morning walk on the treadmill instead of outside. He hates going outside in rain and of course he needs to relieve himself first thing in the a.m. He came inside and just huffed! What a diva!

We are in Stage 1 restrictions here. It amazes me how clueless some neighbors are--they can't be bothered to reset their automatic sprinklers to twice a week (which is more than our poor neighbors in the suburbs who are limited to once a week) or to reduce the water times during the winter from summer levels. They create huge streams of excess water going down the street. You would think they'd notice their water bills don't go down in the winter like most others do. I wonder what message they are sending their children--conservation doesn't apply to them because they are "special"?

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,546 Posts
Texas needs a Hurricane to come through there to get you out of the drought situation. NC had a severe drought situation before Hurricane Irene came up the Coast last August. We got enough rain to take care of the problem and put us in the plus. Thing is when you get the rain, you also get the water from the Ocean, it's salt water so it literally fires everything it hits.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm glad you're getting some much needed rain. 2011 was the wettest year in (recorded) history here in SW Ohio.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
The TV is covering some major flooding, so I'm sure the lake levels may increase by a couple of feet. I feel sorry for those with long commutes because some of the major freeways are flooded out in places. I've got an appointment later this afternoon at the orthopedic surgeon's office, but fortunately it's only 3.5 miles away. Hopefully we won't need to rig up the sailboat.:crossfing

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
T had to teach early this am..... all the way across LBJ to 35! I'm hoping it will let up by mid day like they were saying last night.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I guess that's the same rain that is supposed to be hitting here later today. A couple of weeks ago we got over six inches in one day. I know we need the rain, but does it have to be all in one day?

Most of my grass has died, and it is being replaced with clovers now. I have never seen a yard full of so many huge patches of clovers. I'll worry about it in the spring.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We are in the county north of Dallas, with a different water supply. We are already on Stage 3 restrictions (since last month) and were facing going on stage 4 this month. Apparently Dallas is going to sell us some of their water, so we are still Stage 3. - and this would be our week to water the yard (once every two weeks), so we lucked out.
Texoma, which is a major supplier of our water, has been infested with a muscle. So our water supplier has refused Texoma water for the past year. Works for me, Texoma was really low this summer. With all of the rain in Oklahoma in the last few months, the lake is back up to only three feet below normal.
And to complicate things - Oklahoma owns the water in Texoma. Texas is suing to get more water (when the muscle problem is fixed) and now the Choctaw Tribe is laying claim to the water due to the resettlement documents from over a 100 years ago. I just don't want the North Texas Water group to suck all of the water out of Texoma.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I guess that's the same rain that is supposed to be hitting here later today. A couple of weeks ago we got over six inches in one day. I know we need the rain, but does it have to be all in one day?

Most of my grass has died, and it is being replaced with clovers now. I have never seen a yard full of so many huge patches of clovers. I'll worry about it in the spring.
We "officially" got 4.5 inches since last night at Dallas' Love Field. More rain on the way. They did some water rescues as well. It would be nice if we could get maybe an inch every day for a week, but at this point with the drought, I guess we should be happy in whatever quantity comes down.

The little city lake near my house is beyond full and spilling its banks. I hope that means all the little critters coming into my neighborhood will feel free to float back to their natural environs--goodbye skunks and feral hogs!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
We are in the county north of Dallas, with a different water supply. We are already on Stage 3 restrictions (since last month) and were facing going on stage 4 this month. Apparently Dallas is going to sell us some of their water, so we are still Stage 3. - and this would be our week to water the yard (once every two weeks), so we lucked out.
Texoma, which is a major supplier of our water, has been infested with a muscle. So our water supplier has refused Texoma water for the past year. Works for me, Texoma was really low this summer. With all of the rain in Oklahoma in the last few months, the lake is back up to only three feet below normal.
And to complicate things - Oklahoma owns the water in Texoma. Texas is suing to get more water (when the muscle problem is fixed) and now the Choctaw Tribe is laying claim to the water due to the resettlement documents from over a 100 years ago. I just don't want the North Texas Water group to suck all of the water out of Texoma.
Those mussels are something else--and they were spotted in Dallas' main water reservoir at Lake Ray Hubbard. I guess we better hope they got it under control quickly or there won't be any water for Dallas Water Utilities to sell to the North Texas Water System. What I object to is DWU selling water for fracking operations in the middle of this drought. I'm MUCH rather sell to other residents in surrounding communities and not to commercial for profit businesses in this type of situation. I have a feeling lawsuits for water rights are going to be increasing in the future. It's a valuable resource!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,546 Posts
I know most of you TX folks said you're on water restrictions, you water your yards during the winter months (dormant season)????????

We've got severe storms heading our way on Friday, part of the system that is hitting your area, moving south, then up the coast.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I know most of you TX folks said you're on water restrictions, you water your yards during the winter months (dormant season)????????

We've got severe storms heading our way on Friday, part of the system that is hitting your area, moving south, then up the coast.
I don't water in winter, especially now since we are getting rain at least once a week. Some of my clueless neighbors though. oooy...:( :rolleyes:The odd thing is they don't monitor weather forecasts and so they will be watering while it is raining. It is just crazy! The city mandated automatic cut offs for rain and freezing conditions; unfortunately every device we installed failed at some point, so we just gave up and turned off the system. If we need to water we will hand water or turn it on manually while we can monitor it to make sure it's not flowing down the street into the sewer system.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,546 Posts
I don't water in winter, especially now since we are getting rain at least once a week. Some of my clueless neighbors though. oooy...:( :rolleyes:The odd thing is they don't monitor weather forecasts and so they will be watering while it is raining. It is just crazy! The city mandated automatic cut offs for rain and freezing conditions; unfortunately every device we installed failed at some point, so we just gave up and turned off the system. If we need to water we will hand water or turn it on manually while we can monitor it to make sure it's not flowing down the street into the sewer system.

We don't water the yard, trees, bushes, etc. during the dormant season here- we let nature takes it's course as they are meant to rest during this time of year, regardless of how little or how much rain we get.

People normally turn off their irrigation systems and winterize them here during the winter.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I drove over White Rock creek this afternoon--WOW! It's pretty high. I only wish the flooding could be piped directly into the lakes and not go down to the river and flood everything in its path. There are a few homeless people who camp underneath the bridge I drove on and I worry about them--hope they got to higher ground.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We watched the weather radar yesterday with alot of envy. Really looks like you guys in North and East Texas got some good well needed rain, we are sure happy to see that.
Now, next time it's our turn. We sure could use some down south, and not a hurricane.

Mike

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It's here...

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hope you survived the downpour. Yes the Trinity in Dallas has over run and flooded all the soccer fields. Took over an hour to make it to work, slow and easy with the standing water. Hope it helps our water.

We totally cut off watering this year and miss all my flowers! Our neighbor has a sprinkler system he doesn't monitor too and water was running down the street while the rest of us were saving every drop. What an idiot. Thankfully our back yard grass may have made it. We keep a drip hose around the foundation and so the grass all along the house was able to survive. Hopefully it will rebound if rains continue, but our front yard will need to be replaced I am afraid. Not going to do it until we are sure the drought is over!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
We received wonderful rain here in Louisiana as well. We're in the same drought as Texas, hence why the pictures of Katie show bare ground, no grass. But we also were hit with tornados yesterday with the rain, seven of them. We were under lockdown at school with the kids in the hallways. One touched down about a half mile from the school and two about a mile away. Three hit the 'Box' by the airport a couple of miles away and two more hit just west of my house. Loved the rain but could have done without the tornados.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts