Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Southern California! We recently lost our beloved girl, Ginger (GR) in April at the ripe old age of 17. Our hearts were broken. We vowed "no more pets". Well, that didn't last long. We adopted a 3 yr old male GR in September. He was given up by a family with 3 kids that had no time for him and didn't think he was getting the life he deserved. Left him outside most of the time. I am grateful to them for surrendering him. After that Brody was fostered for a month via the Southern California Golden Retriever Rescue. We have had some minor issues that are getting better with time and love. Mostly his separation anxiety and insecurity from yet another home. I am happy to say that Brody has found his forever home. He is just the sweetest and smartest boy. We love him more every day. He knew some commands and is learning more. Thanks for looking. Here's our Brody boy.
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Fawn
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Fawn

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Brody is so handsome! He has a beautiful coat. I know he does not in any way replace Ginger but I'm sure he helps ease the hurt of missing her. I'm very happy he has landed in a loving forever home.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear about Ginger. Longevity is a double edged sword, makes goodbyes all the more difficult. Now you have another gorgeous dog to focus on. Sounds like you are off to a great start.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss of Ginger but happy for you that you found Brody. He sure is a handsome fella and it sounds like he needs you guys as much as you need him. I think starting over sometimes helps ease the pain of your loss.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Congrats on finding the handsome Brody. I’m sure he’ll settle in and work through his insecurity. Especially in a loving forever home, lucky boy.
We adopted our boy Teddy when he was 18 months from a similar situation made worse by an acrimonious breakdown of the marriage of the original people.
He was insecure and very clingy for the first 6 months. Nervous of new experiences and places. He’s come on leaps and bounds in the past 18 months. Not remotely nervous in public now, typically happy go lucky retriever, loves meeting & greeting people. However his clingyness to me still shows when in public and I leave him with my husband, mum or friend while I briefly go into a shop or heaven forbid a public toilet. He has a nervous barking meltdown bless him.
Good luck and wishing Brody a happy and long life like your special girl ginger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats on finding the handsome Brody. I’m sure he’ll settle in and work through his insecurity. Especially in a loving forever home, lucky boy.
We adopted our boy Teddy when he was 18 months from a similar situation made worse by an acrimonious breakdown of the marriage of the original people.
He was insecure and very clingy for the first 6 months. Nervous of new experiences and places. He’s come on leaps and bounds in the past 18 months. Not remotely nervous in public now, typically happy go lucky retriever, loves meeting & greeting people. However his clingyness to me still shows when in public and I leave him with my husband, mum or friend while I briefly go into a shop or heaven forbid a public toilet. He has a nervous barking meltdown bless him.
Good luck and wishing Brody a happy and long life like your special girl ginger.
We have been dealing with the same. However, he is coming around and he doesn't jump up and follow me everywhere now. He lays there a bit to see if I am coming right back. LOL. He has also come to love hubby too. He takes him for runs and long walks and gave him a bath! He is very smart. Often learns something new in a day. We have been dealing with leash reactivity. He is progressing but we are having a trainer come see us this weekend. I want to be able to take him places and be able for him to have play dates.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Glad he’s coming on well.
We never had leash reactivity if you mean reactive to other dogs when on the lead?

But first 3 months, we did have him reacting to the leash and us on the other end of the leash. A dog behaviourist I had one telephone consultation with said: he probably hadn’t had many varied outdoor experiences so his reactivity is fear based towards being in new outdoor environments and lots of new stimuli. Also feeling uncertain as he hasn’t build a tryst based bond with us yet to know if we’ll keep him safe. So he reacts then shutdowns.
So she said to initially stick with one walk, get him familiar with that route/place/experience then another, practice, then another. Also to learn his early warning signs before the leash ‘tantrum’, slow down distract him by throwing treats on the floor, stop making him walk along and let him stop take in his surroundings, give him a pet and a fuss and move on when he starts to move again. To be patient and calm.
She advocated a very nurturing, building trust based approach similar to working with toddlers with attachment difficulties. So boundaries but never any harshness and to let him make some choices e.g. direction he goes on a walk.

I’m a child/family psychologist originally so this made total sense to me and worked for us. We did then take a more normal dog approach using positive training methods and introducing more appropriate boundaries and the having to work for things approach. But only after we had built the trust and attachment with the nurturing approach.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm sorry about Ginger. Seventeen years is such a blessing.

Brody is beautiful. I'm so glad y'all have found each other and he now has a forever home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts