Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your feelings about this mix? Should people be allowed to keep them as pets? Would you place any restrictions on them? Do you think they can make good family pets? Would you ever think about getting one yourself?

Edit to say I'm not considering a hybrid...I never would and am against it as there are already to many irresponsible owners out there as it is...

Pete

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Don't do it. I've seen a couple and the one's I have seen are skittish and sometimes very, very difficulty to house break. One (a lab/wolf hybrid) has two counts against it for biting.

I heard recently about a half and half that was wonderful, entered in agility classes and winning. I simply wouldn't risk it. There are too many great dogs in the world and too much risk with a wild breeding.

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I adore wolves. If I'm flipping channels and see a wolf I have to watch. I read books about them, it's a bit of an obsession.
That being said, I have mixed feelings about a hybrid. I think it could be dangerous like "bully breeds" if the owner didn't train it from the git and continue training.
IMO that's why bully breeds are considered bullies, not because of the dog but because people think it would be "cool" to own 'that' dog but then they don't put in the work.

From what I've read about the hybrids they require a strong leader because they can be stubborn, (like Akita's :D).
Personally I would love to own one but I wouldn't want them to be popular like pit bulls because look what people have done to that breeds reputation.

So I guess my verdict would have to be, I will forgo having one in the interest of not making them popular.
~But if I ever move to the wilderness of Alaska you can bet I'll have one :D~

·
Charlotte
6,243 Posts
I read an article about them years ago. It was basically citing all the problems people were having with them( toddlers being killed is one thing that comes to mind). They used to be illegal in Canada, probably still are .
I definitely wouldn't take the chance of owning one.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have only met one, and she was actually a sweet heart. She was used to help raise feral kittens for a rescue that her owner fostered.

As for hybrids, you just never know what you are going to get. We see the issues with the doodles, I would be very afraid of the hybrid vigor from a wolf hybrid.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd never consider owning one as there are just too many variables involved. And frankly I wouldn't be willing to give up that much of my freedom to own one responsibly.

I had a neighbor with one and it was a nightmare. I think I've told the story before so I won't go into it again but I was just curious what your opinions were being that I consider the good majority of you to be responsible dog owners.

Pete

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
I'd never consider owning one as there are just too many variables involved. And frankly I wouldn't be willing to give up that much of my freedom to own one responsibly.

I had a neighbor with one and it was a nightmare. I think I've told the story before so I won't go into it again but I was just curious what your opinions were being that I consider the good majority of you to be responsible dog owners.

Pete
There would be a lot of variables, thus my secluded cabin in the last frontier where the only access to me will be by plane :D :crossfing

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing!! So crazy! Where do you even get a wolf hybrid??
Surprisingly they are available. In some states they are illegal but others do allow them. My neighbor got hers from a "breeder" in Oregon.

Pete

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There would be a lot of variables, thus my secluded cabin in the last frontier where the only access to me will be by plane :D :crossfing
And you'd be one of the very few people I'd ever trust with a hybrid.

Pete

Reactions: Bentleysmom

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
One of my customer's used to rescue them. She invited me over to her place to see them so one day I went. She had a ranch and a ton of land. They were kept in kennels, (on a rotation to be in the house), with humungous runs. The kennels were temperature controlled, even though where I live, Mother Nature usually takes care of that.

What I saw that day will stay with me forever. Almost of them would just pace and pace and pace...it was so sad. Back and forth continuously along the fence line. Over and over. They looked so dejected. I asked her about it and she said that these were rescues and that they didn't have the best starts in life. But, she did add that she was against having them as pets because they were always "confused" as she put it. They didn't know "what" to be. She said it depended on the percentage of wolf in them, but she was still against anyone breeding them no matter what the percentage was.

I think they're really beautiful, but after that experience, I'd never have one or advocate breeding them.

·
Professional Member
1,548 Posts
I think only licenced trainers are allowed to own them here and for the first year of life, regular evaluation

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Reactions: FeatherRiverSam

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I think wolves are beautiful but would never want to own one. I would get a malamute :)

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
One of my customer's used to rescue them. She invited me over to her place to see them so one day I went. She had a ranch and a ton of land. They were kept in kennels, (on a rotation to be in the house), with humungous runs. The kennels were temperature controlled, even though where I live, Mother Nature usually takes care of that.

What I saw that day will stay with me forever. Almost of them would just pace and pace and pace...it was so sad. Back and forth continuously along the fence line. Over and over. They looked so dejected. I asked her about it and she said that these were rescues and that they didn't have the best starts in life. But, she did add that she was against having them as pets because they were always "confused" as she put it. They didn't know "what" to be. She said it depended on the percentage of wolf in them, but she was still against anyone breeding them no matter what the percentage was.

I think they're really beautiful, but after that experience, I'd never have one or advocate breeding them.
Unfortunately I think this is where a lot of them end up and as you say what kind of life is that...very sad.

Pete

Reactions: Barkr

·
Ella's dad
254 Posts
I had a biology professor tell me once that the problem with wolf hybrids is you get a bad cocktail when mixing them: the ferocity of a wolf combined with the comfort with humans of a dog.

Wolves are great because they're afraid of humans, and therefore not a risk to humans directly (obviously they could be a threat if they were more inclined to attack humans...never really happens though). Dogs are great because they love their humans, and tend to have had the "killer" bred out of them.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
I met one many years ago i asked the man what it was he said wolf he rescued it as a puppy and brought it to England i was a bit worried at first he was rather large he had it on a collar and lead but it was wonderfull i will never forget stroking him

·
Registered
7,641 Posts

I think the same holds true for big cats. We have a big cat rehabilitation center near me who takes in cats who were kept as pets as babies and then outgrew their home. It is the saddest thing to look into their eyes in their cage.

I think, even licensed professionals should be few and far between. There was an episode of Ceasar Milan (i know i know) where he visits some hollywood trained hybrids. They looked like wolves and acted like huge dogs. I still wouldn't want to own one. No matter how many times I've watched "White Fang"

·
Love walks on four paws
2,946 Posts
I grew up with a friend who had one. He was 1/4 wolf, part Golden, part black lab if I remember right. Best darn dog in the world. But its a crap shoot with them....and understanding what I do now I would not own one nor do I think it's a good idea.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts