Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how many of you withhold water from your dogs after their meals. I know many articles I have read say one way to prevent bloat is to not allow any water for at least 30 minutes or so after meals. Other articles say to "always have water on hand...." I have already lost my beautiful Phoenix to bloat :( and am so paranoid about the whole bloating issue. I realize there were probably other things that contributed to Phoenix getting bloat but was just curious as to what others did with the water. I want to make sure that none of my other babies suffer the way Phoenix did!!! :no:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I always make sure there is some water in the bowl but I never fill it, that way Brady can't drink too much at one time. We have an 8" bowl and I put 1/4-1/2 inch of water at a time. It means refilling the bowl more often but I think it's safer. Also I try to keep him quiet for a hour after mealtime. We had an pre-bloat scare I guess you could call it last year...we were lucky that he released the gas himself before the stomach twisted...so I'm parnoid too.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I feed my golden grainless food and only fill his water bowl half way (many changes of water throughout the day) with no exercise for about 2 hours after each meal.

A good experiment is to fill the dogs bowl with the amount of food you usually feed and cover with water. Let it sit and see how much it expands to see how much the food actually expands in your goldens tummy.

2 things my golden does that I find interesting regarding eating. He comes to me after each meal for some petting and burps for me and he also lays down when eating. This probably does nothing to prevent bloat but it sure is cute.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts