Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Charlie is 3 months and is somewhat laid back during the day. We do a lot of ball chasing, walking around the yard and a minimum of one walk a day usually two. (loves trail walking). For about 1 to 1 and a half hours every night (sometime around 7pm maybe later if he is tired from his walk), he will bite at our arms, feet, ankles, or whatever he can reach. I wear my tall rubber Hunter boots and he still get the back of my legs. We are constantly double fisted with toys, chewing sticks, and balls to give as an distraction. When those work, we are constantly giving praise and positive feedback. Sometimes we give 30 second time outs. We go to puppy class once a week (he doesn’t show this behavior there). We are going to bring it up to the trainer this week. I know that this comes with puppyhood. Just reaching out if anyone else has any other suggestions. How long does this last? Thanks!

·
Registered
266 Posts
My adult dogs sometimes get zoomies around then too, or decide it's the perfect time to start an indoor wrestle session. I think for them they get a little burst of energy after dinner. For a 3 month old, I'd guess some of this is just being overtired and having trouble learning to settle himself. I'd vote for when he starts doing this, put him in an expen (or you can use a tether), give him a stuffed kong or maybe a licky mat smeared with cream cheese or peanut butter (licking can be very soothing) and let him learn to settle. You can still keep him in the room with you (he doesn't need to be isolated), you just need to keep him from biting you and teach him how to settle himself at the end of the day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 8 week old who we brought home just 4 days ago also does this. The first time I was startled and I actually had to take her out on the lawn with a leash in hand and let her run around for as long as the leash could take her. She does calm down when i pick her up and cuddle her; except I can't pick her up in a few months when she'll be the world's biggest carrying baby!

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Rukie also had zoomies every evening when he was little. We called it hell hour because he would run like a lunatic, fling himself into people, nip, and run in circles. I think it's a way to get tired out before bedtime. He occasionally runs in crazy circles even now when he is happy or needs exercise. You can tell he thinks he's funny.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes! Us too. After a busy day with the kids and dogs, all I want to do is relax at 8pm. Our 14week old is a netball! Growls, bites, won’t settle. Nothing works - even crate time makes him nuts, barks like mad.
Just keep thinking that this will pass as he ages .....for my sanity, it has to haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a 10 week old pup with the same issue. I think we are going to add another walk around this time but feel if we don't correct this behavior it will only get worse. We hold him tight and talk quietly. It works for a few minutes and then BAM he's at it again. And our puppy classes were cancelled due to social distancing. Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same! So funny because he just turned 1 and at 8:15 he is zonked!! When he was that age playing fetch with stuffed toys inside would help but he really loved squeaky toys that he could keep in his mouth, bite, squeak and run—it was so funny and great too because he’d tire himself out while we watched and laughed. The louder the squeak the better. The ones shaped like bottles were favorites.

On particularly crazy nights we would put him in the crate for a bit with a kong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts