Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i dont know where to post this thread but anyway i made a wish list for my pup. well i gotta import them so shipping will be pricey.

i want your opinions on the choices i have made. it will be very helpful for me cuz i dont want to purchase things that dont help. also if there is anything better please do recommend. :) so far i havent read any books on dogs or dog training etc so i thought these would be helpful but i am not sure. as for the other products, i thought i would get some good grooming supplies which arent available here. since i have tiles at home the feathering on his legs looks bad. i have no idea what to do about it. the same for the tail. i know he is still a pup but i want to keep him in best shape from the start. i only browsed amazon.com since i have bought stuff from there before. i dont know about other sites where i can import pet products or books from. so please help me >.<
thank you.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Hi Yuki, I really commend you for wanting to educate yourself about goldens! Good Job! I am not familiar with the books or styling products. I don't think you can go wrong with the books though. I don't use a lot of styling products on my dogs. I use dog shampoo, usually a gentle one with oatmeal in it or something else for sensitive skin and tearless, and I use an ear cleaner made for dogs, doggy toothpaste and dental rinse. I use doggy toe nail clippers and have scissors and clippers. But, since you are limited over there, it is all probably a good choice.
There is one question I have though: what do tiles have to do with the feathering and tail on your dog not looking good? I am just curious. I have carpeting everywhere and I would love to have tiles that are not slick everywhere in the house. Carpeting is a pain in the butt with dogs and with husbands that spill drinks and food, lol.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I have all of the books...the tricks book and the dummies book I still refer to every now and again....the other not so much...

Dont own the DVD...

I wouldn't bother with ordering the scissors as they are just generic scissors...you can pick them up anywhere...the only thing that makes them "for dogs" is because the word "dog" is written in the description. A human hair stylist would be a good source to find a local supplier for shears/thinners etc...

Is there a pet groomer near you?
They may be able to help you find a source for basic pet shampoo/conditioners/scissors etc.
If not....and I 'had' to pay lots of $$ for shipping for shampoo...I would get microtek pet shampoo and their itch spray - I am pretty sure you can get it through Amazon. It is a nice shampoo to have on hand for itchy skin issues.

Reactions: Yuki

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Is Amazon the vendor/shipper that is easiest to order supplies from?

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I have most of those books too and I agree "Puppies for Dummies" was my favorite and still the one I use most. You might get and see if you get any of those books sent to your computer, it would save the shipping cost. I actually wash my dogs in Dawn dishwashing soap unless they are having a skin problem. My vet told me to use it for Morgan because she was so sensitive to everything. It worked so good on her, I started using it on all my dogs. There is a lot of stuff you can buy, but you really don't have to. Jordan's favorite toy is still a plastic water bottle. Funny that I am saying this as Jordan probably has every dog toy ever made, lol.

Reactions: Yuki

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I use dog shampoo, usually a gentle one with oatmeal in it or something else for sensitive skin and tearless, and I use an ear cleaner made for dogs, doggy toothpaste and dental rinse. I use doggy toe nail clippers and have scissors and clippers. But, since you are limited over there, it is all probably a good choice.
thanks :eek: i already have everything you have noted. shampoo with oatmeal, another shampoo vet recommended to prevent any skin problems (not for regular use) ear cleaning liq. vet recommended, i ran out of toothpaste so i will be buying new one, no dental rinse though. nail clippers, got em. scissors. got em. :doh: i am just silly or being worried over nothing :doh: i have collected dog supplies from dont know where...and there is drawer filled with stuff like brushes combs etc etc :doh: puppy $$ spending spree i guess. every time i get a puppy i spend $$ like a crazy mom.

There is one question I have though: what do tiles have to do with the feathering and tail on your dog not looking good? I am just curious. I have carpeting everywhere and I would love to have tiles that are not slick everywhere in the house. Carpeting is a pain in the butt with dogs and with husbands that spill drinks and food, lol.
i dont really know but my previous golden and now yuki both got their feathering rubbed/fur broken off etc esp at their legs and tail. it had nothing to do with their diet :confused: the tiles in my house arent the glossy type, they are very very old fashioned tiles and where yuki plays there is no grass or soft soil...its hard cement.

carpet provides more cushioning than tiles. my room has a carpet and yep i hate it when something gets spilled onto it. getting the dog hair off the carpet is a pain too esp when shedding. i have no more info than you concerning tiles vs carpets :( i guess its due to laying down on hard floor that causes it.

thats why i thought about getting some shampoo and conditioning sprays to strengthen the his coat. i am already keeping an eye on yuki so he wont fall or sit/rub his legs and tail on rough surfaces. already trained him to stay in his bed or on the couch.

I have all of the books...the tricks book and the dummies book I still refer to every now and again....the other not so much...

Dont own the DVD...

Is there a pet groomer near you?
They may be able to help you find a source for basic pet shampoo/conditioners/scissors etc.
If not....and I 'had' to pay lots of $$ for shipping for shampoo...I would get microtek pet shampoo and their itch spray - I am pretty sure you can get it through Amazon. It is a nice shampoo to have on hand for itchy skin issues.
thanks :) i wont get the dvd. i found 2 books on a local site so i already ordered them. the dummy's book and Good Dog 101: Easy Lessons to Train Your Dog the Happy, Healthy Day by Cristine Dahl

no pet groomers near my place. :doh: the vet provides grooming services etc but its limited to medicated baths and i honestly hate the handlers there. they are very rough with our babies i wouldnt trust them with grooming my yuki.

luckily found some shampoo and conditioning sprays on a local site too but it **** cost a lot :doh:

Is Amazon the vendor/shipper that is easiest to order supplies from?
i am a bookworm :eek: so i have ordered a lot of books from amazon but never bought anything else.

I have most of those books too and I agree "Puppies for Dummies" was my favorite and still the one I use most. You might get and see if you get any of those books sent to your computer, it would save the shipping cost.

:( sadly there is one problem with ebooks...the geographical restrictions they have placed on ebooks. :doh::doh::doh: thats been a nightmare for me. i love reading books and used to buy ebooks a lot then wham came the rules and :( i was left with few choices.

i will check if the kindle editions of any of those books are available and if those rules apply or not. :) guess i can save some $$ if lucky.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts