Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darling daughter is taking my Harry to a show this weekend (Thurs,Fri,Sat). This is a try-out to see if our new bit/reins set up works at a show with the heightened excitement that that brings.

She's riding him for me because I've been so fragmented taking care of Penny I haven't been able to stay in the riding groove. Staying on comes naturally for me, that's not a problem. It's riding equitation for the show ring that is hard.

I'm going to be splitting my time between home and helping her at the show. So far, DH has proven himself to be a pretty good dog sitter so I don't think I need to worry about Penny. I'll be leaving her for a few hours per day.

I'm planning to take lots of pictures...it's the last outing of the year.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Penny's Mom

Penny's Mom

Good luck to Harry and your daughter!

·
Banned
25 Posts
Good luck! I will say a prayer for you guys later today.

Maybe this is a silly question, but I read your letter twice and couldn't figure it out. Do you guys really ride your Golden Retrievers? I used to ride mine as a child, but I only weighed about 48 pounds.

I can't wait to see the pictures and I wish you the best.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That made me chuckle! No, we have Morgan horses that we show. Although they do have the personality of a Golden Retreiver...happy and eager to please!

Your post reminded me of that cute commercial with the baby: "apparently riding the dog like a small horse in frowned upon in this establishment" Ummmm, yes!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Good luck at the show! I am looking forward to pictures! K

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the picture taking didn't go well yesterday. I took one and dropped my camera. It was 'broken' all day...would turn on but not put the lens out or take pictures. DH replaced the batteries, which had come out on the concrete and it seems to be fine now. So, hoping to get some today.

Harry has two classes in the early afternoon. Weather is clear and sunny, high of nearly 80...a tad on the hot side for a horse with a winter coat already! But gorgeous for being out and about with my horse...even if I'm not riding.

I almost rode yesterday but the ring was filled with Saddlebreds with their whips and chains and trainers with plastic bags on whips. DD said Harry jumped a little everytime one of them snapped the bag...always seemed to be right after Harry went by. :mad: He handled it without incident but the whole situation did not inspire confidence for me :no:so I watched! :(

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think my camera is really broken even though it 'took' pictures. Most of them turned out like negatives. Don't know what that is all about. Taking DH's camera today and starting my Santa wish list for a new camera...one with the big, 2x2 inch view finder. Mine has a little peep hole; I like the newer technology.

Championship tonight. Harry's been finishing second in all his classes to the same horse so I think he'll win the reserve ch! :crossfing

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Good Luck

Good Luck, have fun and hope your camera works!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts