Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing online to get ideas for what to get my sisters, brothers, niece, bil, and parents...

And came across this bracelet.

Darn if it wouldn't be the perfect gift for me, my sister, and my niece...

It's $100 though and well over my spending budget (per person) and I wouldn't ask anyone to spent that much on me. It sure is pretty though.

What about you?

Have you come across anything on your Christmas shopping that SPEAKS to you, but of course you aren't buying anything for yourself for the next 2 months. :)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I love that bracelet! So perfect!

Yes, there is decidedly something on my wishlist: that Nikon D5100. I had planned to get it with my income tax return back in May, but then Toby got so sick and his vet bill ate up the tax cheque. *Poof!* went the camera, but that's obviously no contest. I can hope that Santa puts one in my stocking, but I haven't been that good this year... and Santa ain't that rich. ;)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Oooh I LOVE that!!! So cute.

Umm... honestly, what I'd like is household stuff we don't have..

Like a good pot and pan set. A griddle... one of those Tassimo/Keurig coffee maker things...

A new TV that isn't a big tube LOL.

We're getting married in several months so we're not asking for anything for Christmas. Just donate to our wedding fund haha.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
You know you could possibly make yourself something like that! I don't know what stores you have around you for beads ect, but they are now carrying a lot of pet related items. You never know what you may find.

I would like to have a nice new video camera for recording my classes at shows. I would also like to be able to find a home for the cat we are fostering.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have one wish, to make it through christmas without any huge epic crazy family fights! oh and blankets and bowls always make me happy!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
great bracelet...but $$$$!!!

woman I know is currently "into" making bracelets....made a pandora style for my friend with charms commemorating what we did this summer (dogs, tennis shoes-we walk alot, airplane..she took a few day trips with us, sports car..she/I did road trip, bone-dogs & oot meatmarket we go to)...with "charms" + beading I was charged $25. Definetly not quality stuff, but looks good & is meaningful..and fun.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,068 Posts
Awesome bracelet!!!!

My biggest wish this year is that Reno continues to stay healthy!!!!!:crossfing

Oh, and a nice little video camera would be okay.

I`m very bad, I just bought myself an iPad!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Well, I want to add a new puppy, but it's on my wish list because we had a year full of unexpected home repairs (and expenses), unexpected dental expenses, and too much time devoted to both! Then there was the $$$$ cataract surgery for Toby, and his continued recovery. So, a Golden Retriever puppy is on our wish list for sometime in 2012 or possibly 2013, after Toby's surgery recovery is over, after we recoup some $$ and after we've recovered from the trauma and drama of 2011! We want to make sure we're ready for the puppy in all respects before bringing him home!

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
After a new crown on my tooth and Gunner's surgery I am back to saving for my new island and countertops!!! Sometime in 2012 hopefully!!

I also just got a new crown 2 weeks ago! It sure feels nice to have a fancy new tooth:)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I would like a pair of Ariat winter riding boots. Something warm and cozy. Also, I'd like a new camera. Mine has a little peep hole for a view finder. With my bad vision, I do better with the BIG screen view finder.

btw, when it comes to crowns: I always say I have more crowns than the Queen of England!! lol

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I bought a set of college football trading cards for each of my kids (me, too!) and the DVD on the history of our college team football (second of four, my older son's boss has a son who helped work on it - imagine the football films he got to see!).
I bought my husband a quiet generator for the TV and computer when tailgating. I am going to get him a couple of camping tables because we need them for tailgating.

I got the backs changed on my earrings last month, after losing and then finding one of them. My husband gave them to me when I was pregnant with our first child. So that is my Christmas.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
All I truly want is a morgan horse, but there is no way I can even come close to affording one. It is fun to dream.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Your post made me so sad. I've had Morgans for 35 years. They are like Goldens only bigger and darker. I might be able to help.

Let me know your situation. I know of a lot of sources, rescues for unwanted Morgans. They are in fine shape, trained but going to the meat man. I can put you in touch with people.

All I truly want is a morgan horse, but there is no way I can even come close to affording one. It is fun to dream.

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your post made me so sad. I've had Morgans for 35 years. They are like Goldens only bigger and darker. I might be able to help.

Let me know your situation. I know of a lot of sources, rescues for unwanted Morgans. They are in fine shape, trained but going to the meat man. I can put you in touch with people.
I was going to say last night that the horse itself is cheap. You can go expensive for a fully trained show horse, or you can buy one that will clean up in a year or two for showing. Morgans are nice horses and easy to work with (I rode Arabs and Holsteins before I started riding Morgies). You could be spending $1000 or less for a nice promising horse.

The only thing is I think people need to remember that the real expense of owning a horse is the keeping part. You have to be completely committed to putting a big chunk of your monthly paychecks into your horse.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Very true! But for a back yarder who wants to just ride a bit, a Morgan can be kept at home for about $2 a day. Barring illness of course.

My Daz is an easy keeper. He goes thru less than 2 bales a week @ $3 a bale. He eats about 1 measuring cup of grain per day @ $12 per 50 pounds. He goes without shoes; gets about 6-8 trims per year @ $30 each. His yearly vet exam and vaccinations run about $300 but that's because we go for maximum protection. That other 2 horses are going to shows and potentially could bring illness home with them so Daz needs to be protected too.

$150 for hay
$50 for grain
$300 vet
$180 hoof trims

$680 to keep him at home.

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very true! But for a back yarder who wants to just ride a bit, a Morgan can be kept at home for about $2 a day. Barring illness of course.

My Daz is an easy keeper. He goes thru less than 2 bales a week @ $3 a bale. He eats about 1 measuring cup of grain per day @ $12 per 50 pounds. He goes without shoes; gets about 6-8 trims per year @ $30 each. His yearly vet exam and vaccinations run about $300 but that's because we go for maximum protection. That other 2 horses are going to shows and potentially could bring illness home with them so Daz needs to be protected too.

$150 for hay
$50 for grain
$300 vet
$180 hoof trims

$680 to keep him at home.
o_O

I feel like I'm being cheated somehow. :D I pay $400/month for board (hay, grain, stall, turnout). $200-300/year for vet (I think it's like $150 twice a year for shots?). About $50-60 for worming throughout the year ($10 each time). And $60 each time the ferrier comes around (about every 40-60 days). And $95 each time the chiropractor comes around (every 50 days or so). And there are other things, like $20/month to have a fan blowing on my guy in summer. $15/month for joint stuff. And other things I'm not thinking of right now... :eek:

My horse and I are retired, so obviously we are getting off easy. When I was still showing, I was paying $90/month for lessons (also known as use of show tack and put through drills for show). And I think I was paying anywhere between $100 and $250 for each show. :bowl:

I'm happy btw because I've officially gotten the Christmas shopping going.

Buying for 10 people this year.

One person is officially gifted and off my list. Nine more to go. :D

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heeeheeeheee! :)

I stopped at the store to pick up two glass sculpture thingies (a hippo and a fox) for two of my sisters. Wound up picking up a few other things. I love pier 1.

I'm pretty sure 2 out of 3 of my sisters are DONE! I just need to pick up a gift card for the other one and I will be completely done and can move on to my brothers, bil, parents, and pets. :D

So technically - 4 out of 10 people are just about done. ;)

I think they all cost me about $120 total, so I'm staying within my budget.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts