Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Help! Wire free Electronic Fence or not

Hello all. I need advice please. I am agonising over whether to install a Wireless "Petsafe" electronic fence. I live in a rural residence which prohibits us from putting an actual fence around our gardens. It is a relatively safe environment, we are in a gated residence, lots of open space and the few cars there are can only crawl along. Up until now Buddy, who is 9 months, has always stayed (fairly) close to home and comes back (most of the time) when we whistle albeit it at his own pace!!. But these past few weeks he has been wandering further and further afield. And worse, our neighbours have started feeding him despite me asking them not too and he has also discovered how to find his way to his best friends house on his own! So here is my dilemma, do I continue to let him out off leash for his pee and a wander and enjoy the lovely open gardens but knowing that he is getting braver and wandering farther and may start to annoy the neighbours or get into trouble. Or do I start just taking him out on a lead only at walk and pee time (which inevitably will mean less fresh air and his life will be much less interesting!) or do I install a Wireless fence that gives him a slight shock on his collar when he tries to cross a limit line so that he can continue to enjoy the grounds alone. I have heard good and bad things about these systems. Any advice/experience most welcome. Greetings from a very hot South of France and a hot panting Buddy xx PS It goes without saying he is never left alone outside when we are not home and never will be.

PPS Being new here I am not sure where to post. Should I have started this as a new thread or something?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Three of my neighbors have them and a friend also has one.

The issues I have seen are that this kind of fence doesn't stop people or other animals from coming TO your dog and if the dog is highly motivated, it will go through the fence. Also, super smart dogs, like my next door neighbor's, can figure out how to beat the fence.

A friend's lab/chow will go through their e-fence (on high) if he sees a deer, which is pretty common here in Virginia.

We don't have a fully fenced yard and we just trained Baxter to never, ever go past the yard and we don't allow him outside unsupervised. I imagine some people think that is strange, but it's normal for us since the first 6 years of his life were spent in the city, where we had to accompany him to the dog park every day. :)

You'll figure out what works best in your situation. :)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Just wondering at what age Baxter learnt he is expected to stay in the yard and how did you train him? (I have been told that however angry you are you should always be smiley and happy with them when you do get them back for example?)

·
Kristy
10,139 Posts
I feel for you, it's not an easy situation to not have a fenced area to let your dog roam. I think if it were me I would try to work hard on obedience and recall and use a long lead. I am not a fan because of the dog not being protected from anyone or anything that can come into the yard with electric fence. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I see dogs lost on our citys lost dogs Facebook all the time with fence colors. They don't seem to work. I feel for you not being able to put a fence up. Without a fence you will probably have to always be out there and supervise.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I would do an electric fence but still be smart about it. Use it as an extra precaution, but also work on training a solid recall and supervise him when he is out in it. I wouldn't recommend letting him wander, he is bound to get hurt or lost or worse eventually. Plus you want to keep good relations with your neighbors (a bad neighbor is just about worth moving over).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would do an electric fence but still be smart about it. Use it as an extra precaution, but also work on training a solid recall and supervise him when he is out in it. I wouldn't recommend letting him wander, he is bound to get hurt or lost or worse eventually. Plus you want to keep good relations with your neighbors (a bad neighbor is just about worth moving over).

We have a Petsafe fence. Bella is 16 months and trained very quickly. I don't leave her totally unsupervised though. Usually watch her through the window or am actually outside with her. GRs are usually pretty quick to train on them. Sometimes I need to entice her with treats to come inside...lol...still working a by on recall at our house.

·
Loving Mommy of Kiner <3
239 Posts
We have a pet safe invisible fence for Kiner- he trained very fast and has been tempted by joggers/kids/deer many times but never will he cross the line. We always supervise him while he's outside.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We plan on getting an electric fence for Rumple, so we can give him more space than if we put up a real fence. I work at home, so even when he's outside, he'll be closely supervised.

We used a long lead with our old dog and I got so sick of having to go unwrap him from around the tree or lawn furniture. Plus in the winter I'd rather just be able to open the door to let him out after putting the collar on, than deal with the lead (again going out to untangle him, I just am not dealing with a lead again.)

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,697 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I merged your threads together so your replies would be in the same thread.

I don't have any experience with wireless fences, sorry I can't be of help to you.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I have one for my two & it works great. I let them go most of the time as they please but I do keep them inside when the trash truck comes as Jack hates it he's never ran it but if anything would coax him that would be it. I do live on a dead end street & my only full time neighbor is retired & loves Jack & Sweetie and watches them all day. I did try one for our bridge dog Tawney ( Chow/Husky mix) and it didn't work at all. If you go with one I'd get the stronger collar just in case and training is the key

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
If a physical fence isn't possible, I think this would be a good option (rather than no fence at all). Definitely always be outside with your pup. We have an electric fence back at home for our labs. Beamer is trained on it and Fenway will be trained on it this summer. I would prefer a physical fence, but sometimes it is the only option.

Reactions: BuddyinFrance

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have a pet safe invisible fence for Kiner- he trained very fast and has been tempted by joggers/kids/deer many times but never will he cross the line. We always supervise him while he's outside.
Thanks for your reply. Did you actually start off by using those little flags that you put in the ground? I am not sure that I see the point of them....?

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Did you actually start off by using those little flags that you put in the ground? I am not sure that I see the point of them....?
The flags are there so the dog can visually see the line of the fence. Work on training multiple times a day taking the dog up to the line, waiting for the beep for the collar, and then call your dog back to you. That is how I was taught to train my dogs on the fence.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the forum.

I merged your threads together so your replies would be in the same thread.

I don't have any experience with wireless fences, sorry I can't be of help to you.
Thank you. Sorry about that. I posted it in the wrong thread and then could not delete it. Who do I contact for advice on getting some pictures posted.. ? I am having some trouble working things out....

·
Registered
118 Posts

We used the flags. It is worth the time. Goldens are pretty smart and ours definitely picked up on it quickly:). At one point she seemed to test the limits after the long winter. Put the flags back out for a week and she was good:)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We used the flags. It is worth the time. Goldens are pretty smart and ours definitely picked up on it quickly:). At one point she seemed to test the limits after the long winter. Put the flags back out for a week and she was good:)
Had a trial run this afternoon and can't get the flags in the ground because the land is too dry! So have put the children on the challenge. They are currently experimenting with sticking them in play doe as a base but of course Buddy will love that and will want to run off with them! Next idea is sticking them in candle holders first! Watch this space....

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm late to jump into this discussion. My only advice on the electric fence is to monitor your dog carefully. If your dog has any major motivators, know that your dog might be willing to take the hit to cross the fence. I say this because my bridge dog (a black lab mix who was 7 when we moved into a neighborhood that doesn't allow physical fences) was willing to leave the yard if something really enticing went by (like a squirrel or a biker). After losing my dog twice (with the collar on), I called it a day on the fence and decided not to use it. Like you, we aren't allowed to have a fence in our yard. My other dog at the time (also a black lab mix) stayed in the yard the first time and never strayed until the other crossed the fence the second time and then followed too. I found them unharmed, but I feel like I was really lucky and was too afraid to take my chances on a third time.

With Comet, we actually had the fence disconnected and I use a 60 feet long line so that he can really run about. It means that he's never in the yard without me, but my previous experience was enough to scare me. Plus, I live in a busy neighborhood and feel like Comet could get stolen if I wasn't watching.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm late to jump into this discussion. My only advice on the electric fence is to monitor your dog carefully. If your dog has any major motivators, know that your dog might be willing to take the hit to cross the fence. I say this because my bridge dog (a black lab mix who was 7 when we moved into a neighborhood that doesn't allow physical fences) was willing to leave the yard if something really enticing went by (like a squirrel or a biker). After losing my dog twice (with the collar on), I called it a day on the fence and decided not to use it. Like you, we aren't allowed to have a fence in our yard. My other dog at the time (also a black lab mix) stayed in the yard the first time and never strayed until the other crossed the fence the second time and then followed too. I found them unharmed, but I feel like I was really lucky and was too afraid to take my chances on a third time.

With Comet, we actually had the fence disconnected and I use a 60 feet long line so that he can really run about. It means that he's never in the yard without me, but my previous experience was enough to scare me. Plus, I live in a busy neighborhood and feel like Comet could get stolen if I wasn't watching.
Thanks for this sound advice. On a slightly related note I have actually been thinking of putting a polite note in our neighbourhood letter boxes asking people to kindly not call out to Buddy whilst he is sitting out front and to ask their children not to do so. He is, for the most part, happy to sit and Watch the world go by.. he doesn't chase animals he likes to study them! and he doesn't usually approach people he does not know.. but well meaning people stroll by and call out to him and pet him and give him treats which undermines the training efforts on my part. But I don't want the neighbours to think I am mean with them either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts