Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I get a reference check on winter white goldens? Has anyone used them or had experience with them? Couldn’t find them on a thread previously, thanks!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Well, I can’t really tell if those are the dog’s registered names or not. If they are the registered names, none of them have any clearances on OFA. Also breeders using marketing terms such as “English cream” and “champion bloodlines” ( while not doing anything to prove that their own dogs are structurally sound and have solid temperaments away from home-champion bloodlines can be ruined in a single generation by poor breeding decisions.) Reputable breeders simply do not use those terms. They are extremely overpriced if they do not have any clearances or titles on their breeding dogs. You can get a dog from generations of health clearances with titles for the same or maybe even less. If you happen to have the registered names of the parents for the litter you are interested in, someone can look them up for you and that will tell you more.

Reactions: BlazenGR

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
this is Tio's k9data page: Pedigree: Autumnlake's Tapatio On Everything
None of the rest of them are really trackable names and that one's only accessible because he came from a GRCA breeder. Since his listing on her website also states all his clearances, and none of the other dogs have any such thing I would assume they are not done. It should always be SUPER easy to find all the info on animals listed as breeding animals on a site for a person who charges money for puppies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is Tio's k9data page: Pedigree: Autumnlake's Tapatio On Everything
None of the rest of them are really trackable names and that one's only accessible because he came from a GRCA breeder. Since his listing on her website also states all his clearances, and none of the other dogs have any such thing I would assume they are not done. It should always be SUPER easy to find all the info on animals listed as breeding animals on a site for a person who charges money for puppies.
Thank you!! The father is called Tundra I believe and I’m told he’s from Ukraine? I’m getting the information from my mother but am trying to assist in her research :) our priority of course is a healthy happy pup!

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
right- I didn't notice other stud dogs til I started down the list- but let your mother know that typically, when a breeder doesn't list registered names it makes it hard to research. And also the eastern Euro imports typically are 'evaluated' on hips, elbows, etc at very young ages. In the US we have very easy to follow rules, age parameters (24 months) and most of the 'white golden' people don't bother. This is a risk.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This shouldn't be allowed (from the AKC Marketplace):
Kennel Name: Winter White English Cream Golden Retrivers
Breeder Name: Winter White English Cream Golden Retrivers

If you aren't willing to give someone your name or spell "Retrievers" correctly.....

PRINCESS ELSA = Lil' Star Of Clear Passion

THE KNIGHT KINGS WINDS OF WINTER = Winter White's The Knight King's Winds Of Winter

I am having a harder time identifying Princess Bell Bellisima.

This is another breeder who appears to know she should be doing health exams, but just chooses not to. At least she is honest on the AKC site:

Reactions: Prism Goldens

·
Registered
383 Posts
AKC Marketplace is disappointing. I wish GRCA had one.
The good news is that it is a good tool for people like myself to keep track of less than reputable breeders like this one. There are quite a few of us to maintain year-round posts just to try to get GOOD information out there. I'm always appalled at the price of some of these puppies. They are selling for significantly more than from reputable, preservation breeders who are doing their due diligence and full health exams.

I do NOT want to see GRCA have a page like this. It would be a nightmare to police and keep only litters that are from fully health tested parents. I moderate a FB group that allows only listings from that type of litter, and it is a lot of work to keep up with the number of people who lie their way into the group and then try to post their litters. Luckily, we have an approval process in place, but it is still a lot of work when people don't send in their eye and cardiac exams to OFA, and don't attach them to their post.

Prospective buyers are still best off contacting their local clubs, attending dog shows, and generally just doing their due diligence. There are multiple places, including this forum, that explain what to look for and why. We will never reach those that want the perfect puppy today or tomorrow, but we do a lot to help companion homes find the information they need to make better decisions.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I moderate a FB group that allows only listings from that type of litter, and it is a lot of work to keep up with the number of people who lie their way into the group and then try to post their litters. Luckily, we have an approval process in place, but it is still a lot of work when people don't send in their eye and cardiac exams to OFA, and don't attach them to their post.
I follow the FB group. Thank you for what you do.
I’ve had two friends find litters on AKC Marketplace and call me to check them out. Neither litter had all clearances but one falsely advertised they did.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
OMG- "We are a small home hobbie breeder with onlybtwo girls that are our cuddlebugs. We are dedicated to the betterment of the breed and have amazing pedigrees and testing. " not only are retrievers misspelled but several other words.. and what exactly is 'amazing' about the testing unless it is that it is lacking?
This is a GREAT example of someone saying they 'breed for betterment' without a real sense of betterment. This bitch is on her second home (per k9data change history) and if she has PH- it was done earlier than 18 months.

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
Laurel did you ever get any feedback on Kathy Walden... wasn't she referred to you from a GR group? I couldn't find anything on a Kathy but did find a Kat Walden but they are located in Co. There are lots of breeders that don't have or need websites so was hoping there was someone on here that knew of this breeder... they were in Maine right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Laurel did you ever get any feedback on Kathy Walden... wasn't she referred to you from a GR group? I couldn't find anything on a Kathy but did find a Kat Walden but they are located in Co. There are lots of breeders that don't have or need websites so was hoping there was someone on here that knew of this breeder... they were in Maine right?
Thank you everyone for your thought and input!! I do feel very informed especially with all your support but finding breeders that not only check off reputable boxes, but personal preferences too can be quite hard (and this might be an understatement :)! We're really being cautious due to recent, heart breaking experience with a breeder that was not the right fit for us...

I have not received any input from anyone who has experience with Kathy which is so weird to me, especially because she was referred to us by the Yankee referral service! Do you know if that is a sign that she is an ethical/responsible, reputable breeder, just by being referred through there? We have spoken with Kathy and my opinion was that she really seems to be a lowkey breeder who doesn't have litters with high frequency. She seems to have all health clearances checked out but any information I have about her is only from Kathy herself/ a little of my own research on dam/sire health. I would LOVE to hear if anyone out there knows her! She is located in MA, I believe New Bedford area. Thank you for reaching out, Puddles!!

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
If she will provide you with the registered name and/or AKC # on who she plans to breed we can at least check for OFA clearances. This will tell you so much about the breeder. There are many breeders that don't do networking through the internet, doesn't make them bad breeders. I totally understand the caution and don't want anyone else to live through learning the hard way if that can be avoided.
The only "Walden" entries I could find on k9data or OFA were associated with Katmar kennels. Is there a possibility this person has relocated to the NE??

·
Registered
383 Posts
AKC Marketplace is worse than Craigslist and one of the reasons I have very little respect for AKC as an organization.
Except it does provide a LOT of information, if the viewer is savvy enough to understand what they are looking it. The information provide there, plus K9data, can give a user a pretty good idea of the quality of the breeder. If the dog doesn't have eye and hip info with the sire/dam name, it means that it likely wasn't done, and if it was, it was done as NOPI. If the sire or dam isn't in K9data, probably also a hard pass. If they can find them in K9data, and realize the dog is underage, well, another red flag. All we can do is point out the red flags. We can't keep them from making the ultimate bad decision. I would like to see AKC update their logic to not allow the breeder to check the box to say they have performed all recommended health tests if the dog doesn't have a current CHIC in the OFA database. Honestly, as an IT person who deals with websites daily, that just isn't that hard to do, and would instill a lot more confidence in their system.

·
Super Moderator
1,428 Posts
Except it does provide a LOT of information, if the viewer is savvy enough to understand what they are looking it. The information provide there, plus K9data, can give a user a pretty good idea of the quality of the breeder. If the dog doesn't have eye and hip info with the sire/dam name, it means that it likely wasn't done, and if it was, it was done as NOPI. If the sire or dam isn't in K9data, probably also a hard pass. If they can find them in K9data, and realize the dog is underage, well, another red flag. All we can do is point out the red flags. We can't keep them from making the ultimate bad decision. I would like to see AKC update their logic to not allow the breeder to check the box to say they have performed all recommended health tests if the dog doesn't have a current CHIC in the OFA database. Honestly, as an IT person who deals with websites daily, that just isn't that hard to do, and would instill a lot more confidence in their system.
The AKC is tricking innocent buyers into thinking they are getting a good puppy because buyers are relying on the AKC name. I have little respect for the AKC because of its Marketplace. At least when a buyer purchases from Craigslist, there’s less confusion as to what they’re getting because nobody is being fooled by the AKC name.

Puppy buyers should look to the breed clubs for reliable, accurate information and understand the AKC marketplace is simply not the place to purchase a Golden Retriever puppy.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The AKC is tricking innocent buyers into thinking they are getting a good puppy because buyers are relying on the AKC name.
Then that needs to be part of the education: AKC is simply a registry, and does not imply quality, adherence to breed type, or healthiness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts