Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

Roomba is now 5.5 months old and doing awesome. The nipping/land-shark fits have stopped, she's 100% house trained, she knows her commands, she's super friendly and loving, and she's doesn't bark (this could be both good and bad!).

Now, here's my question: we live in Chicago and it is cold! We just had our first snowfall tonight and it was hysterically to watch her try to jump up and catch the flakes and roll around in the snow. So, with the cold and the snow, does Roomba need a coat of some sort and/or booties? Or do retrievers do fine without? I towel dried her off when we came back up, but just double checking.

Thanks!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,562 Posts
She should be fine with the coat nature provided for her. You may want protective boots if she's out on pavement treated with ice melting compounds.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
Mine always seemed happier when they could relax on a snow drift. We've spent hours hiking and hunting with them begging to stay out for more. My main concern was wind chill and wet slushy snow. Watch for signs of them holding their paws up, a sure indication that they are hurting.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I live in MN. I have jackets/boots for the dogs but don't usually use them until the temp or wind chill is below zero. Make sure you wipe her paws off well when she comes in and get out all the snow trapped between her toes. If her feet get chapped Mushers Secret put on her feet at night will help. She should be ok without a jacket until it gets really cold. They are so cute when they try to eat snowflakes, aren't they?:)

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
I've never put a coat on my Goldens - and it can be in the minus-30s Celsius (about equivalent to minus 30 Farenheit). I make sure to keep my dog moving when it's really cold - and she is always totally warm. She loves rolling in snow. I do use boots because Toronto uses TONS of salt and other ice-melting chemicals on the sidewalks, and it really stings their paws. If your neighbourhood is the same, you'll see your pup start to lift her paws and stand still. My last dog wasn't bothered by the salt - Shala is very bothered by it. We use balloon boots - they're called Pawz. Super easy to put on. They don't last too long, so you are constantly replacing, but worth the investment. I've tried permanent boots and they just never fit right and limit mobility.

Reactions: LittleRoo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your input! I'll definitely be looking into purchasing some booties since the city does use salt and other ice/snow melting materials. I'm also going to check out the Mushers Secret. Couldn't hurt to have it! It's not supposed to be terribly cold from what I heard, but you never know. And since we live right by the lake, we do like to go on walks down the path. Appreciate all your input!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine always seemed happier when they could relax on a snow drift. We've spent hours hiking and hunting with them begging to stay out for more. My main concern was wind chill and wet slushy snow. Watch for signs of them holding their paws up, a sure indication that they are hurting.
Oh my! Such a cute picture. They really are so funny in the snow.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input! I'll definitely be looking into purchasing some booties since the city does use salt and other ice/snow melting materials. I'm also going to check out the Mushers Secret. Couldn't hurt to have it! It's not supposed to be terribly cold from what I heard, but you never know. And since we live right by the lake, we do like to go on walks down the path. Appreciate all your input!
If your pup is anything like mine, you'll never get Mushers Secret on her paws before she licks it all off! :p:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts