Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeing threads on here about booties and musher's secret, and I am a complete novice at all this. I had never heard about salt being a problem for dog's feet. I feel bad now because I had a lab who went out in the winter with nothing for 15 years. So, what's the deal? :confused: How does salt affect dog's feet? What is the danger? What do I need to do? Maya is thrilled being out in the cold and I have never seen her look like her feet are cold. I don't think she would tolerate booties. So what is musher's secret and what does it do? When do you have to be careful about it? We were out walking yesterday and there had been salt on the roads, but the roads were dry. Is that bad for the feet, or only when there is slush with salt? I am clueless, so please inform me! Thanks!

·
16,000 Posts
I simply use baby wipes to wipe the dogs paws after they've walked anywhere there was salt used. It's not a huge concern - unless the dogs are licking it off their paws constantly, which can be more of an issue than the salt on the paws. Salt left on the paws (if the dogs don't lick it off first) can dry out the pads. Baby wipes have lanolin in them which does help condition the skin a bit (although Golden feet are supposed to be somewhat rough...). Ingesting the salt can cause upset stomach and obviously increased sodium intake isn't healthy for the heart.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts