Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like winter has finally hit us up here. It's -2 F (-19 C) right now but windchill makes it closer to -20 F (-31 C). Brr! Temps are in the -11 to -16 F (-18 to -26 C) range this week with lows down to -22 (-32 C) and windchills down to -31 F (-36 C) :no:

Needless to say, Ranger and I will be hibernating. He was going a little :bowl: earlier today so we went outside for a quick 20 min walk. He had doggie boots and a jacket on. I had boots, socks, long underwear on under my jeans, wool sweater, two jackets, gloves, toque and scarf. By the end of the walk, Ranger was starting to pick up his paws and he was coooold. As was I!!

The only good thing about this cold weather is that it really knocks it out of him. One 20 min walk and Ranger spent the rest of the day curled up on the couch. He can't even go out for a quick pee break without his paws getting cold! He was outside earlier and his paws got so cold he wasn't sure which one to lift up and started walking like a hunchback, alternating front and back paws...poor guy!

(Also went out to make sure my horse would be warm enough today and put his new blanket on...he has to live outside 24/7! Brr!)

Anyone else dealing with extreme temps? At least it's too cold to snow!

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Dallas Gold,I told you you can come to Maine, anytime!!!

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Those temperatures are unimaginable to this Texan!! I sure hope they don't come our way! We hit 65 today and will reach the low 70s tomorrow, which is a nice treat in the middle of January!

Stay warm!!
Anne, I'm heading down your way! Our temps aren't near as cold as Canada but Friday night it was 17F with a windchill of 0F. I hate cold weather and can't wait until summer. Last week we had temps near 60F. The change is hard to take.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it's only getting colder here. It's dropped a few more degrees. Poor Ranger was sooo cold eating his supper outside! We're now tucked in for the night. Brr! The dish soap has started to freeze by the kitchen window, even.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hi! When I read your post, I thought of yesterday - I took Obie out for his walk and put two coats on as well! I saw something that said it felt like -21C outside yesterday. Brrrr!!

Although, the soap by the kitchen window is freezing? THAT is cold!

(PS long time no speak! Hope you and Ranger are well! :) )

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Anne, I'm heading down your way! Our temps aren't near as cold as Canada but Friday night it was 17F with a windchill of 0F. I hate cold weather and can't wait until summer. Last week we had temps near 60F. The change is hard to take.
Come on down!! It is supposed to be 73 today, cold tomorrow and Wednesday (by North Texas standards--lows in 30s highs in upper 40s), then back up to the 70s by the end of the week....and NO SNOW!!! :dblthumb2 As far as winters here, this one is almost perfect so far! :) We deserve it after the summer we endured last summer.

·
Pippa and Watson’s mom
611 Posts
It was 3 F here yesterday morning, and I wondered how the puppies would react, but it didn’t seem to phase them at all! In fact, Pippa whined to go out and then spent a good 20 minutes, just walking around sniffing all the tracks from the workmen who were putting in a new fence a couple of days earlier. I was the one picking up my feet and pulling for the door!

Reactions: Ranger

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,579 Posts
I don't know how those of you that live up North or in Canada do it, you're obviously much tougher than me. I don't do cold-hate cold weather, hate being cold, hate having to be bundled up to go outside, especially when I'm use to wearing a T shirt or tank top, shorts, and flip flops most of the year. We've been having temps during the day in the 40's and it's always windy here, the wind comes off the water, we've had windchills in the mid to upper 30's.

Keep in mind, here on the coast, we consider anything below 70 as COLD. I'd rather be hot any day......

Tomorrow's high is suppose to be around 67, can hardly wait, but then it will drop back down into the low 50's the rest of the week and warm up again by the weekend into the 60's.

My guys are enjoying these cool temps, they're so frisky while I feel like a popsicle.

All I can say is: Is spring here yet????????

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
I don't know how those of you that live up North or in Canada do it, you're obviously much tougher than me. I don't do cold-hate cold weather, hate being cold, hate having to be bundled up to go outside, especially when I'm use to wearing a T shirt or tank top, shorts, and flip flops most of the year.
You just deal. Trust me, I hate the cold, too, and would much rather live year-round in t-shirts and flip flops. But you learn to dress. It felt like minus-20 C here on the weekend - not quite as cold as poor Ranger out in Alberta - but I was sweating out on a hike with my dog. Thermal socks, a good down coat with a hood, good fleece-lined wool gloves and good boots - and you're set! It doesn't mean it's fun... but you get by!

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These temps are definitely extreme! We've actually had a beautiful, mild winter so far...unseasonably high temps above zero for months now and hardly any snow! I guess winter had to hit sometime.

Sadly, it's even colder than the weather guys were anticipating. It's currently:

-17 F / -27 C
Windchill making things feel around -36ish...which is going to be the lows this week. :(

Not looking forward to driving out to the barn to throw another blanket on my horse. It'll be layers, layers, layers and letting the truck keep running while I add another blanket. Ranger'll have to sit this one out at home, too. Though I really don't think he'll care in this cold!! All he's been doing is curling up and sleeping. I think he's in hibernation mode.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
We finally got some snow on the ground up here in the Northern Sierra Nevada Mountains. Not much, just a few inches, but it's still snow!

I enjoy the winter with the fire going it's kind of nice.

Pete

Reactions: Ranger

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some horses get taken in at night to their stalls but some live outside all the time. My guy is one of the ones that live outside. It's generally healthier for the horses to live outside. They grow thick winter coats to stay warm, have a 3 sided and roofed shelter to get out of the wind and snow, and have a hay to eat all the time. Digesting the hay helps keep them warm. My guy gets blankets on when it's really cold out. He's got one super heavy blanket on right now, but will get another one tonight, too. They can stay pretty warm in crazy cold temps so long as they have food to eat and shelter!

Here's Virgil's thick winter coat this year:

and when it's really cold (-36 degrees when this pic was taken), he gets two blankets and a hood on to stay warm:

Sometimes he wears three blankets!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ranger, I'm dealing with the same issues....brrrrr, it is cold, I am much further North in Alberta and currently it is -27 (windchill -36) and getting colder, supposed to be -34 tonight with a windchill of below -40. Our 2.5 yr old golden is quite content to lie around on the couch and only go out to potty, however, the 9 month old wants to go out more, even tho' he only lasts about 10 minutes before he is lifting his paws...I have went out with them today to try and keep the puppy exercised, but it is hard trying to entertain him inside...any suggestions? this extreme cold is supposed to last all week!:(

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poor Ranger--I feel sorry for him in that cold weather! I hope it gets more moderate for you all soon!
Thanks! It's supposed to 'warm up' Saturday. High of -15, then Sunday is closer to zero, thank goodness!

Poor little Ranger...had to go catch himself a critter to warm up today! :D

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ranger, I'm dealing with the same issues....brrrrr, it is cold, I am much further North in Alberta and currently it is -27 (windchill -36) and getting colder, supposed to be -34 tonight with a windchill of below -40. Our 2.5 yr old golden is quite content to lie around on the couch and only go out to potty, however, the 9 month old wants to go out more, even tho' he only lasts about 10 minutes before he is lifting his paws...I have went out with them today to try and keep the puppy exercised, but it is hard trying to entertain him inside...any suggestions? this extreme cold is supposed to last all week!:(
Oh, I couldn't get paid enough to live in Northern AB. I don't know how you guys do it!

Ranger has two doggie jackets to keep him warm and some dog booties. I usually only pull out the dog booties/jacket for walks but it's been so cold the last few days he's been wearing them to go outside to pee and play. He's already lost some weight from the short time he spends outside in the cold weather. Maybe some dog booties would help him stay outside playing longer? I was throwing the ball from the backdoor with Ranger earlier today.

Or, I drop a ball (or toy) down the stairs so ranger runs down and brings it up a few times before he gets sick and tired of the game. Our best game is naming toys and naming a toy he really likes, then hiding it. It's a progressive game. Once he knows the name of the amazing toy he looooves, start telling him to 'find ___" and then praise, reward, when he picks up the toy. Start moving the toy further and further away but still in plain sight and repeat the cues.

Once he catches on, put the toy in a different room but still in plain sight and direct him to find the toy. Then increase in difficulty. Hide it but on eye level and with part of it sticking out. Then not on eye level but still sticking out. Eventually, drag the toy somewhere and hide it fully...and let them sniff and try to find it. I do it all the time with ranger's fox wubba. Sometimes he needs help, but once they get the hang of it, they'll be amused for ages. Just make sure they don't get too frustrated and you offer them some help if needed! Stay warm up there!

ETA: I loooove this dog jacket. If it's still on sale I'm picking it up for Ranger this weekend. His other jackets just aren't keeping him warm enough when we're out in these temps! http://www.greenhawk.net/cgi-local/...95.html?L+scstore+yhcb1273ff7a7a7a+1326768037

1 - 20 of 28 Posts