Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jonah is 15 months and he is blowing his coat. His hair is looking a bit dry and of course not much there now although I'm bathing and brushing trying to help it all come out. How long does it typically take to grow the winter coat? I was going to try a conformation show in the middle of Jan. but if he is still bald I don't want to show him. He looks pretty icky!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Goldens don't usually achieve their full adult coat and feathering until they are around 24 months old. We have a 16-month-old and he is nowhere near having his full coat yet. If he appears to be dry and dull, you can try supplementing with either fish or salmon oil. You can use the human grade. We give our dogs 1000-mg tablets daily. Also, try not to bathe too often, especially during the winter months, since that can contribute to dry skin.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I don't do show but I remember Oakly Poofing up like a sheep at that age then it all went kablewie! It was a bit of a shock but he has turned out fine.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I'm so glad I saw this post. Recently, I have been worroed about my 7 month old golden's fur looking like it's shortened with a long patch right on his back, and just looking alittle dry or frizzy if you will. I looked up your term of blowing his coat and I found it to be so normal for this time of year as well as...for mine...this age. I just recently started adding fish oil to his diet, so maybe it will help....you could try it too.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
I agree, my 14 month old has not gotten her full coat yet.

I actually gave all of them a bath just a week ago with puppy shampoo and they look great, it put the shine back into their coats after they blew their coat. That is the older dogs, Chloe never blew it yet.

Also that's their last bath until Spring, unless they get into something where they would need a bath.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Sounds like an adolescent blow! It will take a while for his coat to come back. Fish oil couldn't hurt :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts