Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to thank everyone on the forum, even though I mostly lurk, the information has been great!

I just wanted to contribute some observations about our GR's personality, how it has evolved, and I'd love to hear what everyone else has experienced.

In a nutshell, I have watched Winston evolve from a very independent, stubborn, and overall energetic puppy into a much calmer, submissive, and loyal friend. By no means was this transformation overnight, and we still have a ways to go before Winston emerges from his adolescent phase (when will this be?), but I can now say with confidence that my wife and I have a wonderful dog.

That all being said, I'd love to hear what other owners have experienced in terms of the evolution of their GR's personalities. I would really like for Winston to become much calmer and more affectionate, both of which I anticipate will come with time.

Thank you again for all of the help and insight!!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Well you are lucky! :p: My Molly is still very puppy like at 14 months! She is a little calmer in the house now! But lately one of her bad behavior came back! when I bring her to the park she can still throw 'fits' and roll around in her leash and go crazy and won't listen when I tell her to stop!! :uhoh: I HATE it!

Other than that, she's great and muuuch more affectionate! I just think it's gonna take more time for her to grow up into that gentle and wise golden like my other one was before her! :p:

And Happy Birthday to your sweet Winston! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Moses turned ONE in December and I guess I have not seen ALOT of changes in him. He has always been pretty mello but I guess maybe his restlessness has settled quite abit. He can now lay on his bed and just relax instead of always having to have you entertain him. I have been SO blessed that I have not had a problems with him chewing anything or destroying anything- or digging -well he DID do that twice! He now rides in the car quietly where before he was back and forth between windows-NOW he just lies with his head between the seats with his head near me- ALWAYS has to be touching us. The ONLY thing I wish he would outgrow is his hyperactivity when we go OUT--he seems to forget all his manners when confronted with NEW people DOes not jump- just squirms round and round the legs. SO all in all I guess he has settled into one amazing guy!

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Happy Birthday, Winston!

In regards to personality changes, Molson was rather quiet and calm as a puppy... our breeder held him and his brother back for potential showing/breeding prospects, and after 3.5 months, she wanted to keep Molson because of his looks but ended up keeping Guinness (his brother) for the only reason that Guinness would be more outgoing and confident in the show ring, and thinking that Molson was too shy around people.

He has really opened up since we brought him home. He has no problems going up to strangers, children, big dogs, loud dogs, or being in large crowds. He had lots of socialization as we are always entertaining with lots of people over, he came to every one of our softball games in the summertime, and got to go lots of different places - indoors and out. He is still the biggest cuddlebug but is also very friendly and active and the complete opposite of shy!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,080 Posts
Happy 1st Birthday Winston!!!!

My Austin just turned 1 in December. He is a pretty laid back guy and really has been since he was a puppy. He wasn't much of a biter and learned quickly not to when he did. He's a quick learner and listens pretty well. He does like to steal things out of the garbage can in the bedroom and when he does, he drops it immediately, looks at me and then does a head dive into his pillow. Not sure what that's about!!!
He loves people and absolutely loves other dogs....he's very social!!! He is quite affectionate and loves his belly rubs and loves mommy's attention....although he doesn't mind sharing me with his brothers. Essentially, he is exactly what we wanted in another Golden. He's my baby!!!

I have another puppy who will be 1 year next month......I could write a book on him!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts