Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a double post (also posted on the puppy form) but I figured I'd risk it.

First, I have already taken him to the vet, we are waiting on a clotting lab to come back, don't worry- I'm not one to ask internet advice when a vet visit is required :)

Ok, that being said, I want to see if anyone here has experienced something like this.

Winston is 10.5 months old, and quite frankly, is the coolest GR on the planet (yeah, I checked!) Anyway, on Tuesday morning, before I left for the office, I walked and brushed him and did not notice anything abnormal. After a slew of painfully boring meetings, I came home around 1pm to take Winston to the park for some running/playing/frizbee killing. After a good 2 hours of play time, I decided to work from home the rest of the day while Winston slept under my desk.

That night, we took our pre-dinner walk and he didn't touch his food. Figuring he was just tired, I left the bowl out. We all went to bed pretty early after another brushing/snuggle time, where I didn't notice any lumps. This morning, before our pre-breakfast walk, he was sluggish and I noticed the lump on the left side, near mid way up near his last ribs. The lump was movable, and about 1.5 inches in diameter, fluid filled, and under the skin.

I took him to the vet this morning, where the Dr. took a sample of the lump with a needle, it was blood. After examining the blood, it was not an infection. The lab work came back normal, but like I said, we are waiting on the clotting results.

The Dr. said that the lump could be the result of Winston ingesting some rat poison due to the speed at which it grew, but I have never heard of this. We never use rat poison, so I imagine he picked it up somewhere at the park, but who knows? He is acting normal now, but his appetite is about half of what it normally is.

Ok, my essay is over. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with something like this?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Are there any other signs of clotting issues? If so, go for a SNAP 4Dx test along with everything else if you live in an area with ticks. Anaplasmosis can cause low platelets.

The general lethargy is scarier than to me than the lump.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Can you post a picture ??

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,603 Posts
Is it possible he bumped into something at the park while playing? Blood blisters can be quite common for active dogs. We had one lab in for training that bounced continuously in his run, banging the top of his head on the ceiling. We called him lumpy because he always had a lump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly, I think the owner-diagnosis of lethargy was perhaps a bit biased due to panic on my part, if I did not notice the lump, I would have probably been comfortable with saying "he is just tired after a ton of exercise".

His appetite has been off though, after a quick googling of Anaplasmosis, it appears that fever is one of the main symptoms, which he does not have (confirmed via rectal thermometer). Anyway, I'll ask the vet to do a snap 4dx test (thanks for the input)

I'll try and post a picture later this evening after dinner.

I really don't think he bumped into something at the park. The lump is not on the surface of the skin. The vet actually said that he has seen dogs that have been hit by cars and they rarely have internal bleeding that forms a lump like winston's.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I always notice "more" symptoms once I am alerted to a problem.

If there is not infection it seems like it would most likely be a hematoma from violent contact with an immovable object.

If Winston did ingest rat poison they will have to treat him with vitamin K. I am sure you will know that as soon as the clotting factor is determined.

Copper ate the head (ick) of a huge rat a few years ago and I rushed him (and the rat remains much to their dismay) to the vet. They looked in his ears and when I asked why they said that is where the slow clotting would show up first. I assume they would be red, but don't really know. It turned out to be an owner panic not anything significant and I sure hope this is the same with you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to update you guys, the vet called and said the clotting profile was normal.

I'm really stumped, the lump is still there, about the same size. Other than the SNAP 4dx test, does anyone have any ideas?

The vet said to just keep an eye on it, and that it might go away on its own, but I really want to know what the root cause is.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Could it be some kind of abcess?

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Praying

PRAYING for your dog.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I am sorry I cant help with what it is but hope you find out, it is allways a worry when you dont know what is going on.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im sorry I cant be of any help, just wanted you to know I was praying for you all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! I know this thread is old, but I wonder if the thread owner has any updates?
My 5-month old puppy Mojo is having a similar problem, the vet says it's inflammation caused by trauma. I watch him like a hawk and I don't recall any trauma..anyway, the vet drained fluid from the lump yesterday and put him on antibiotics for a few days, the lump is slightly smaller. Mojo's appetite hasn't changed and is active as usual.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Wow, this poster has never returned? That seems scary. I hope her pup is OK and Mojoma, hope your boy is too.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Is it possible he bumped into something at the park while playing? Blood blisters can be quite common for active dogs. We had one lab in for training that bounced continuously in his run, banging the top of his head on the ceiling. We called him lumpy because he always had a lump.
I was going to say what SC said. Maybe a hematoma.

Oops...didn't check the date!

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Do we know if all is well?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Debles,

Thx!

Yeah, I think Mojo has a hematoma, the lump is back to its original size, I will bring him to the vet again tmr. He doesn't look like he feels unwell though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sincere apologies for not updating this thread. Winston ended up being fine, the vet took numerous samples and determined that it was a lump caused by trauma, most like from a sharp corner or rough housing at doggy day care. The lump went away after about a week.

Thank you all for your support and again, I apologize for not responding earlier- life sometimes gets in the way!

·
Registered
5 Posts
dustybottoms,

Thx for your response, it makes me feel better. My pup's lump is still there after 5 days, about the same size. I will bring him back to the vet tomorrow, will see if he needs some more tests. I did take him back a 2nd time already, the vet drained the lump again and put pressure bandage on him, which lasted for 1/2 hr. He's now on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and anti-swelling medi, the lump is not infected and he seems fine.

The round shaved spot is where the lump is:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts