Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking here for a very long time, and even posted a few comments. I figured it was only polite to introduce myself. I don't have a fancy sig or photos. I'm much more of a lurker than a poster. But, hi to everyone!

My golden is an almost 8 year old (in March) boy. He's one the special ones, who is not just a dog, but a person, and a beloved member of our family. Friends joke that I love my dog more than my husband. It's not true, but I do love him very much.

He's a typical golden boy, who is very doofy and loving. He's mostly drawn to females, always looking for a 'substitute mommy'. But my husband is his best pal, and the only one who can wrestle and play rough with him. He's very gentle and tolerant of kids, and is happy to let them steal his toys, pull on his tail, or poke him in the eye. He gets very protective with kids, and thinks my daughter is his baby. He can't stand it if she is outside and he can't guard her.

He loves to howl. Like a wolf. And forces us as a family to have regular howling time (my neighbors must hate us). He loves to swim, and at almost 8, he can happily swim for hours and not get tired. Otherwise, he's pretty mellow and laid back, and even lazy at this point. He's great at retrieving, but not so good at giving the toy to us.

Like most goldens, he has terrible allergies to grain, especially corn. So he's been raw fed for 2 years. And in that time, no infections, and more importantly no antibiotics or steroids.

He is very proud of all of his toys, and several times each day he will show you his stash of toys. And gets very happy if we comment on the toy.

Well, that's us. I don't really post much, but I felt if I lurk here, I might as well say hello.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
Your Winnie sounds just so special and reminds me of my Beau that passed last year. Glad you have decided to start posting and I hope you will share a picture of your handsome boy with all of us.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Hi and thanks for introducing yourself :) Winnie sounds like a real joy to have around your family! Hopefully you'll share some pics with us when you get the chance.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
HI and Welcome!! I soure would like to see a picture of your guy!!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Welcome to you and Winny!:wavey: He sounds like a dOLL, and so looking forward to hearing stories about him! He sounds so loving and wonderful! Please share some pictures with us, when you have the time!:)

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, everyone! I'll try uploading some pictures. He's a BIG boy, but it's all muscle. Before raw feeding, he was up to 105 lbs! Now he's down to a buff 84 lbs, which the vet says is perfect for his size and musculature. He's light golden, and has a bit of the 'old guy white face'. The area around his eyes is blackened due to his allergies. And, of course, he has the sweetest brown eyes ever!

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much! In that photo, he is doing what I call the "I love you" face. He scrunches up his eyes, and gives a big, soft, grin. To me, it's absolutely adorable.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the comment about his sugar face. For awhile, I was in denial about it, because I did not want to admit that my boy was growing older. But, he is, and I've grown to love his white face. He is also totally white along his back and spine, but you only notice it outside in sunshine, because he is so light in color. I've been avidly reading the senior goldens section of the forum, just so I can prepair myself for the next phase of his life. This part of the forum is *so valuable*, and I'm very thankful to those who post about living with a senior golden, so that I can educate myself, and ensure my boy has truly 'golden' senior years. At times he's the same crazy puppy I fell in love with, and at times he's clearly a little slower. But, get him in the water, and he's youthful! He can outswim me, my husband, and daughter in our pool. But, what else would a water dog do?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts