Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all for for keeping those "golden prayers" coming our way.

I had tears in my eyes this morning when I read all the posting....you all are "golden angels" and you too Hooch.

I got home late last night and it was a long drive back.

Here is the lastest update....Tuesday was not a good day for me....the doctor I was seeing was not the best of one on one and did not have any bed side manners....the slides came back and this doctor did not know how close she was to being hung on the courthouse steps.

I got the head onlogist Dr Henderson in the room with me....I had told the 4 year student that she needs to remember about having good bed side manners....Dr Henderson was the best and made me feel at ease.

Yesterday morning when I got there before surgery...I told the student I wanted to talk to Dr Henderson.....he came in along with the other doctor and the student.....he began to tell me that we sat down with the patholist yesterday.....he put the x-ray up for me to see and began to tell me that from what he is seeing....this looks like one of the lesser cancers and that I'm doing the right thing for Wilson by taking the leg off....that we would not know until all the labs come back....they could not see anything in his lungs.

Dr Henderson came to me after the surgery at 3pm....they did not take the leg from the hip...he left a stump and told me that Wilson needed to hide his manly things...I got to see Wilson at 4pm...he was still a bit under....I talked to him and he moved his nose to my hand.
I left shortly after seeing him...the 4 year student told me she was leaving at 5:30pm and would call me....she called to tell me Wilson was doing great and he was laying on his side but now he had turned over on this stomach and was watching everyone in the room....she will be calling me this morning after her rounds at 10am.

If everything today and tomorrow goes well with Wilson...Wayne and I will be going to get him on Saturday morning.

We will not know what kind of chemo until about 8 or 10 days....my vet is not comfortable giving these kinds of treatments...he has found another vet here in Mobile that can give the treatments...so now I will not have to make the trip to Auburn.

With all your golden prayers....my heart tells me that this morning Wilson will be up, eating and making a few steps.

My Rocky has been lost...I missed him so much and got lots of puppy kisses when I got home last night....I know that Rocky will be needing all the attention too when Wilson comes home....Wayne and I discussed and have planned out "ROCKY TIME".

Today and tomorrow I will be getting ready for Wilson to come home....my mind is in a whirlwind....if you all have any suggestions please let me know. I'm going to WalMart today going to get the kindergarden sleeping mats to put in the x-pen for Wilson.

Thank you Carol for keeping everyone updated and again all of you along with our Hooch are my "Golden Angels".

Charlotte
(MotherHen)
Wilson & Rocky

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh Charlotte... you and Wilson will continue in my prayers. I bet he is up and mobile before you know it. Your post brought tears to my eyes. He is so blessed to have you, and vice versa. Once you get him home, give him an ear rub from his Dallas pals... and tell him Penny & Maggie say HEAL !!!! Please keep us posted.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Charlotte, we are thinking of you and Wilson. Glad the surgery went well and that the cancer seems to be limited to the leg. Sending prayers for quick healiing! I bet Wilson will be up and around in no time! {{{{{}}}}}

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
My only suggestion is that if you have hardwood floorss, tile, or any other type of slippery floors, add rugs that do not slide to help him get adjusted while he is learning to get around on three legs. My JC is having problems w/ his back legs, particularly on any type of slippery flooring. We go out the door into the garage a lot to get to the front yard because it only has one step down; however, even the concrete floor was too slippery and several times he would go down. I have taken a long piece of carpet and put down at the bottom of the step so that the has something that has more traction for him and it has helped alot.

Prayers going out to your entire family as Wilson comes home. I hope they are able to stop all progression with the chemo and that Wilson has a lot of good days in front of him.

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
Charlotte, I am so glad Wilson's surgery went well. If there's anything we can do to help out, don't hesitate to ask. Sending lots of hugs and healing thoughts and prayers your way.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
So glad that Wilson has come safely through the op, one hurdle down, next one to get him home - I know you will feel happier then.

Dogs adjust far quicker and better than humans in relation to lost limbs - saw one this morning whizzing around and it was only as we got closer that we saw he only had three legs. I am sure that Wilson will adjust - probably you will have to watch on slippy floors, and if he has to go up or down any stairs/steps.

Sending big hugs for you all and Wilson, and Quinn & Reeva send some very sloppy kisses. We will be waiting for the update that he has come home.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
I hope Wilsons surgery is successful and rids his body of that 'nasty'. He'll do just fine as a tri-pod. I have a friends whose golden had bone cancer, they removed his front left leg at the shoulder and he defied the odds of remission. He was with them for almost another year and a half which was unheard of. Wishing the same or better for Wilson :)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Will keep yr baby in my prayers for a prompt recovery!.
I have met many dogs that did amazing on 3 legs!.Even a saluki who had the same illness and lived 3 more yrs after the operation!.Remember to keep yr baby thin and exercised!.Once the stitches are out,let him swim a lot!.It will help him,strenghen the other legs!.Too many more yrs,Laurie

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Glad to hear that Wilson's surgery went well and that the cancer appears to be localized. I know you'll all feel so much better when he comes home Saturday. There is a little 3-legged dog in my neighborhood who literally flies down the street (he is a real escape artist). I'd never know he has only 3 legs if I didn't know him and his mom. I predict a very successful recovery for Wilson.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so glad to be able to help you Charlotte. Call me anytime. Give Wilson a big hug and kiss from me this Saturday. I have good feelings on this and think that Wilson will be with you a long time.

·
Cedar's Mom
851 Posts
I'm so glad to hear Wilson is doing well - and that you got to talk to another dr. who was kinder, more knowlegeable & made you more comfortable! Golden thoughts coming to you!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
You sound much better now. That's so good to hear. I can't wait to hear that Wilson is home and adjusting. Prayers are continuing to come your way.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Charlotte, great news that surgery went well. A friend of mine had a dog with osteosarcoma; her leg was removed at CSU vet school when she was nine. She lived to fourteen and hiked all over the Colorado mountains happily. You might want to ask the head oncologist about diet. The former head of oncology at CSU (whose name escaped me at the moment) has a very low carb protocol for cancer, which seems to help keep things at bay post-op. Fingers crossed for good labs!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am so happy to read that Wilson's surgery went well, and that hopefully, he will be coming home very soon! :smooch: Continued hugs, thoughts, and prayers going out to your wonderful boy, that you will have many more years together! Many hugs to you as well....such a very difficult time, he is so lucky to have you and your husband to love him so very much.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Yes, do investigate diet. Many think grain free, low carb is the way to go.... that the cancer feeds off the grains. Many use The Honest Kitchen Embark.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts