Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Would your Breeder take back your Golden?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My purchase agreement with the breeder of my (3) boys contains a clause that if I'm unable to care for my dog, she will take them back.

This eliminates any of her dogs being dumped in a shelter/rescue centre or being sold on kijijji, etc.

How many of you have the same arrangements & are you willing to name your kennel? My three boys came from Ambertru Golden Retrievers out of Pembroke, Ontario, CANADA! Yeah, Connie!

As many of you have more than one golden, I've allowed multiple choices!

Reactions: Jamm

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
Yes... all the breeders we've dealt with except the first (he was a byb) had it in their contract that their dogs would come back to them.

I'd prefer not to mention the kennel names. :)

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
It was never discussed, but I am assuming no. Honestly, if I had to give up my dog I'd place him with a family member over the "breeder" anyway.

This forum has opened my eyes widely to how to research for a good breeder, I feel confident that my next puppy is coming from a great place :)

Tucker was my first dog ever (never even had a family dog growing up) so I have learned A LOT.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Our two have that clause in their contracts. Our third potential puppy has that in the agreement as well. I think it's very important for a breeder to take responsibility for all dogs they have brought into the world should their owners not be able to/not want to care for them anymore.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Casey came from a PetStore so, no there is no contract.
Faelan has the return to breeder clause (Windrush Goldens).
Towhee has the return to breeder clause (Sunfire Goldens).

While I sincerely hope I never have to use the clauses, I know for a fact that Lisa and Barb would be knocking at my door if need be to make sure their dogs were properly cared for and while they might let family members keep Towhee or Faelan, I know they have taken dogs back without qualms as needed.

Casey BTW will be loved by my brother if anything happens to me; and the brother who is in my will might have an argument with the brother I live with about taking him (Casey hangs with the brother I live with until he leaves for 2nd shift work and they adore each other) LOL - they would work it out, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
All of my breeders would take my dogs back in an emergency no question asked.... I will take back (and have taken back) any of my puppies... no questions asked.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Every dog that I have purchased has that clause. And to date, I have taken back 3 dogs... and quite frankly, they ended up in better homes the second time around(Game Boy has one).

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
And I might add, that I am grateful that that clause was honored by the first owners. Not everyone would've been as honest.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I might add, that I am grateful that that clause was honored by the first owners. Not everyone would've been as honest.
I know of a breeder who co-owns all of her puppies to avoid any transfer of paperwork to another without her consent. This breeder is also very concerned about any of her puppies ending up in China!

·
Davina
392 Posts
MY puppy was a $20, "buy 1 get 1 free", oops litter, BYB puppy. They just wanted the litter gone. there was no contract at all. I know though I will in the future be getting another GR and it will be from a good breeder I will have researched FIRST. You live you learn.... How ever my puppy may have only cost me $20 from the "breeder" but the vet bills have added up to WAY more then that just to get her healthy. SO......

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yep, same with us! Fin's breeder would take Fin back no problem if we have a short term emergency, vacation, or permanently.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Both our breeder's have that in their contracts. Huntleigh and Sandhill's. I also know Sasha's sire's(Stoney) owner Pat Quinn would take Sasha if something happened to us.

·
Registered
103 Posts
i voted not sure, only because if there was a defect with our dog, she would 100% take him back, no matter how long we have had him.. like if in a year it turns out he has 1 kidney, ect.. but as far as returning him if we just didnt want him any more. i dont know. we didnt talk about it. or if we did, i just dont remember. i looked over the contract and i dont see anything about it.
i do know if we needed her to board him she would, she boards the dogs she "made". i could call her to ask. she said i could call her with any questions, or just to say hi and tell her how our puppy is doing.
my breeder was Tranquility Golden's, in Georgetown NY. she is an awesome lady and i would 100% go back to her to get another dog. all of her dogs are so beautiful and so well taken care of, and she is a beautiful person too.

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
One thing I meant to add, but there may be some breeders out there who have this in their contract - but they never keep in touch with the owners. Or they themselves are so loose with how they place the dogs, that... probably would lead to the these owners giving their beloved pets to rescue groups instead of going back to the breeders.

It's something I've been thinking about as far as Jacks' breeder. I liked them and felt comfortable buying a puppy from them. And I must emphasize that they were a cazillion times more organized and efficient than the hobby breeders we got our previous two goldens from.

But they did not really screen us when we bought Jacks. My mom and I volunteered all the information that we felt was very important for the breeder to know and would help them guide us to the right litter. They did not make us fill out any questionaires, they did not take down our veterinary contact information... none of that.

It was fine as far as buying a puppy from them because we knew we were good owners and we wanted Jacks. But I would be completely sick and terrified handing my dog into that situation.

It's a moot point because I would never ever ever ever surrender any of my animals. That would be akin to carving out my heart and trying to walk away without it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The friend who helped me find both Bennett and Banker passed away this Fall.
She has/had two Goldens who were to stay with her son, in her house. Maggie was 14 and beginning to fail, Maestro is 5ish.
Maggie's breeder tried to enforce the contract requiring her return, which the family did as they tried work with the breeder. The breeder was going to keep her in a kennel, far from her life as a spoiled/beloved Golden with my friend. It was a long two weeks to get her back home. She passed away in her sleep this Saturday.

This really made me rethink the contract I have with my breeder. I plan to talk with her soon about this. My children are grown and are wiling to take care of my herd - and I am leaving a trust for their needs to paid.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well Gwen you know my breeder :) So yea we have the same agreement with Joey. If we are unable to care for him, she will take him back and find a new home. BUT THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN<33
Yeah, Connie!

Hey, Jamila, you might join a group of worshipers who travel to China and want you to take Joey because he looks like a tasty morsel :doh::doh: Connie would not let Joey go to China ;););) lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
My breeder would have taken River back. Unfortunately she passed away when River was just over 8 weeks old. I guess this makes that part of my contract null and void. No worries here...River has lots of family to spoil her as much as I do if anything happens to me.

·
Carol
478 Posts
My question is purely one of ignorance, so please no offense intended. When you speak of " the breeder" is it exclusively in reference to the person who owns the mother of the litter? Carol

1 - 20 of 47 Posts