Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, hi to everyone from a new member!
So sorry for not posting a proper intro first, but I have been lurking for a while now and have an urgent question:
A week ago I ordered a metal crate for our new puppy (bringing her home in two weeks) but have just been informed the crate I originally wanted is not available and they don't know when new ones will be delivered. I have been offered a few options that are available now, and I'm now leaning towards one of them - has good reviews online, seems a great quality and the price is great (in fact half of the original crate I was ordering).
However the crate is on a small side: 36x22x25 inches, AND it is a "sloping" model so upper lenght is only 25 inches.
Our puppy is female and should not grow to be huge (given parents' size) and will basically be crated (closed, otherwise the crate will always be left open and she will be free to decide for herself) only at night and when we are out without her - weekly shopping trips etc since I don't work. We may occasionally use the crate in the car & possible show trips.
Obviously it will be fine for quite a few months while she is still growing, but is it a realistic thought to still be using the crate at night/occasionally when she is fully grown?
Thanks everyone, I'm off to post a "formal" introduction now :wavey:
Jo

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
I have two crates one is 36x24x26....I wouldn't want anything smaller than that size.

My other crate is 42x28x31 and give plenty of room for my full grown 75 lb male.

I'm not sure I understand what "sloping" means in regards to the crate. I would want the crate big enough for my dog to stand up and turn around and lay down comfortably.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
i think sloping means one end has a slope downwards in order for it to fit in a hatchback type car and enable the boot lid to be closed.

so the crate doesnt protrude beyond the glass in the door.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think sloping means one end has a slope downwards in order for it to fit in a hatchback type car and enable the boot lid to be closed.

so the crate doesnt protrude beyond the glass in the door.

Yes that's exactly what I mean.
They do have a regular 42 inch crate for a bit more but doesn't seem to be a nice quality at all....

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Yours is the size I use for my adult females....and frankly Trace, my male, uses it and prefers that size crate over the larger crate...

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
You will probably find that as she gets older and is potty trained, you will not need to crate her at night or while you are out . . .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your replies!
I have gone ahead and ordered the crate, even if she does end up outgrowing it, it will still be useful to have a "spare" for car and short trips (we also do have a smaller size doggie who can use it too). I was not comfortable with ordering the bigger crate they had available (not my original choice) since it had lots of bad reviews including comments on sharp edges and very poor quality/finishing in general.
Jo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts