Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 15-month-old intact purebred who has been wonderful. However, lately he has become aggressive with a few other dogs for no apparent reason. At first we thought it might be the other dog instigating, but lately it's pretty clear that it's our dog who is starting it. He has never hurt another dog, but he definitely growls and lunges at a few other dogs -- especially pit bull type dogs. He gets along great with most dogs, but something sets him off and then he's very difficult to control.

Would it help to get him neutered? Has anyone heard of a dog version of a vasectomy, and would that be a good alternative? I know there have been studies indicating that neutered dogs are more likely to get cancer and experience neurotic behaviors. We want the best for our dog, but if neutering him would curb his aggressiveness, I'd do it.

He loves chasing frisbees and playing with most of the dogs at the park, but I'm afraid to take him now. Most people know and love him there.

He walks with a neighbor and his dog every day and gets together frequently with other dogs in our home -- none of whom he has been aggressive with. In fact, he is quite gentle with my parents' maltese. The incidents with other dogs have been away from our home.

He gets lots of exercise in our yard, and I'm home most of every day with him. He did the full health exam for the Morris Animal Study and his results were excellent.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don't know if you would call it aggression with other dogs. Some dogs just don't like certain breeds. The other thing to take into account is how you are around certain breeds. If you are nervous around pit bulls, your dog might be picking up on your tension and is reacting to it. He seems fine around other dogs that you feel comfortable with.

·
Noreaster
2,153 Posts
Maybe talk to your vet, if he/she is on board with understanding why Golden breeders recommend waiting until the growth plates have fused before neutering?

A vasectomy wouldn't remove the hormones or the...um...inclinations, it would just...how to put this, stop the puppy makers from reaching their final destination. It wouldn't stop him from wanting to board the plane. So to speak.

Mercy, way too many bad metaphors. Must find caffeine.

Reactions: pb2b

·
Premium Member
18,562 Posts
We often expect our dogs to like every dog they meet. That's not a realistic expectation. We don't like everyone we meet, and it's not a surprise if our dogs don't like every dog either. Just be aware of his likes and dislikes and I think you will do fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts