Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my Captain is 14 months and we just love him. We are planning/expecting to neuter once he is at past 24 months. My question is, will he get “spay coat”? And if so, how might this affect shedding?

He has such a beautiful field golden coat now. Everyone who meets him comments on it. While his physical and mental health are most important, I still want to keep him looking like the beautiful pup he is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've got your back Captain

Don't do it. His hair will turn gray and he will shed a bushel basket full every day.

·
Puddles
3,971 Posts
So beautiful! The reality of spay coat is no one really knows why some dogs get it and others don't. I don't usually neuter males and have never had issues with them being intact. My youngest just turned 2 but in no hurry to have her spayed. My 4 yr old was spayed at 20 months and has horrible spay coat. It's like she is wrapped in velcro, everything sticks to her. The unspayed girl just shakes everything off so we will wait until the breeder fusses at me to do the surgery.

·
Kate
21,301 Posts
Yes.
I've got your back Captain

Don't do it. His hair will turn gray and he will shed a bushel basket full every day.
I have to admit - I'm not sure if you were joking or not, but I spit out a mouthful of pop laughing when I read this. LOL.

For the op - yes, the dog is going to get a spay coat. Very typically after being spayed/neutered - the dogs blow their coat right away because of anesthesia probably. The coat that grows back in and in surplus is softer and more "spongey". You know how your dog gets wet and shakes most of the moisture off right away and dries super fast? That softer/spongier coat will soak up moisture and create a perfect environment for bacteria and yeast as the coat dries very slowly. This leads to more "skin allergies", etc.

With the one neutered dog we had - he had a stud tail (bald spot on top of tail caused by too many oils collecting at that spot + us not bathing him as frequently as we should have) prior to being neutered at age 9 or 10 (he had a lipoma on his scrotum rupture, so the whole thing had to be removed). The interesting thing we found was his coat grew back super thick and long + stud tail went away.

For anyone making the observation that stud tails happen just because the dogs are intact - none of the dogs after this one had been neutered + none had stud tails (knock on wood). I think frequent bathing helps prevent the oil buildup.

·
Super Moderator
987 Posts
I know some dogs who are neutered and have beautiful coats still. I also know of some that have unruly spay-coats. It’s probably a gamble. We are getting a female puppy who will stay intact, and will neuter Denver before she comes into heat just to completely mitigate the risk of unplanned breedings, plus he will never be bred and I honestly don’t want to put him through the stress/anxiety of being sent away or crated around a girlie in heat. I hope he doesn’t get spay coat...I’m obsessed with his beautiful coat the way it is so we’ll wait and see.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies.

I have noticed other dogs (family dogs) sometimes get aggressive my pup. I've been told that even other neutered males will be aggressive toward an intact male. Apparently, it's because my dog smell like a male dog rather than a "neutral" dog or a female that's not is heat.

Is it true that the presence of an intact male can provoke aggression from other males, even when neutered?

·
Kate
21,301 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

I have noticed other dogs (family dogs) sometimes get aggressive my pup. I've been told that even other neutered males will be aggressive toward an intact male. Apparently, it's because my dog smell like a male dog rather than a "neutral" dog or a female that's not is heat.

Is it true that the presence of an intact male can provoke aggression from other males, even when neutered?
No. Not at all.

It's people who neuter/spay their dogs rather than train and work with them who keep making excuses for not training their dogs. Aggression doesn't go away when you neuter them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts