Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Bender slept through a friend coming to drop things off once when we were out. Storee barked and of course Ticket did as well. But in general they're pretty friendly. I don't know how they'd react if there was a threat to their humans but the contents of the house are fair game I guess.

Ticket though will go into 'guard' mode once in a while, we'll be walking and he usually either ignores people or will look and wag his tail but not be too concerned. Now and then he'll stare and pay close attention to someone and it's kinda nice that he does (most people won't even notice, he's not barking or growling, just keeping an eye on the person). The goldens... not so much.

Lana

677 Posts
I think that depends on the dog. I do think they have a good sense usually about when something is "off" and can definitely react if they feel threatened in anyway... however, part of the Golden temperment is that of a goofy lovebug that loves everyone... so it's entirely likely that they would happily greet an armed robber that walked in the door just as much as one of your friends.
Last week when Casey and I were coming up our street from our evening walk, a rather "odd" young man was behind us, making strange noises and talking to himself. After a few quick looks, Casey jumped up, turned to face him and gave a quick "woof". Then he turned back to walk on with me. He obviously recognized that this guy was "different" (although I did not think he was a real threat), and took action to let him know that he knew it! I was surprised and pleased, as I had always taken Casey to be a "welcome the bad guys in with a sock" kind of guy.
You never know!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Maggie would in a heart beat...Abbie would if she was with Maggie... Hootie and Cruiser.... NOWAY

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
I think Tahnee GR has it right. Harley will definitely alert in the yard and in the house but as far as protection goes I have a better shot with my little Bischon jumping for the jugular.
Now, which one do I think would die trying to save me? The 7 pound Chinese Crested :doh: The Goldens would bark and be upset, the Pug just wouldn't be able to figure out what was happening, but I honestly think Cher would try to protect me.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Amazingly enough, I doubt Finn, the big strong lab would intervene. But I have seen Abby, not scared but wondering, give a growl and head fake to someone she doesn't trust like she is ready to kill. She has never attacked, no need to. Cause she can be scary.

And I know she is just protecting her own, even doofus Finny.

I hope I never have to find out if she would go through with it.

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,535 Posts
Folks, do not underestimate your golden. They may not protect your property or possessions but if someone were to threaten you or a family member or attack one of you, that cute cuddly Golden will be putting some serious holes in them with blinding speed.

When provoked, a Golden Retriever is a formidable animal. Never forget that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Folks, do not underestimate your golden. They may not protect your property or possessions but if someone were to threaten you or a family member or attack one of you, that cute cuddly Golden will be putting some serious holes in them with blinding speed.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Though we have a golden precisely for the gentle demeanor I know I would feel better if, heaven forbid, one of the family were attacked by some crazy, that she would come to our aid.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts

Totally agree, the protective instinct is high.

·
Registered
613 Posts
When we lived in the SF Vally I had a gang banger living next door. Needless to say my house got broken into time and time again. One day I walked in the house with Charlie and someone was in the bed room......and Charlie I could tell had their scent down. I got Charlies leash and ran out of the house....locking the dead bolt after me. The piece of crap got away out of the side bed room. But after that I was leaving the house with Charlie and dang....out of no where someone came charging up behind me across the lawn when my back was turned... I was locking the door. At the last second I screamed and Charlie lunged at this man and was growling and barking...backing him up. Well, it was the mailman.....he scared the hell out of me.....I told him never to come up across my lawn like that or ever approach me like that.....the idiot still was moving toward me wanting to put the mail in the box....if Charlie did not bark at him..it think I would have done something when turning around and would have wacked him good......I may have hit him myself! I told him just to put the mail on the ground and he tossed it all over my lawn. He really pissed me off after that! Another time I got a call from LAPD at work asking if my dogs bite.......Im like why...they said they were in my house and I was like why are you in my house.....it was just broken into. The guy broke out our kitchen window and the dogs were in the backyard and chased him after him...the guy was on top of our boat....to get away from the dogs..then got into the house. The cops were afraid on the dogs.....but they did go in the yard and check things out.

As of today all 3 of my dogs sound like Cujo when someone comes up to the door.....that is fine with me...LOL. I had one guy ask if they bite....well I said do they have teeth! LOL. The guy was scared of dogs he told me.....I told him I did not invite you......he left fast! Snork!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My Jake, who's now at The Bridge, went with me and my husband while we visited different nurseries for plants. I had Jake on a leash, and was talking with one man about a certain tree. He had greeted Jake, and Jake seemed to like him, and he had also told me about how he owned dogs too.

All of a sudden, as the man was talking to me, Jake backed up and looked at him and began barking and barking and wouldn't shut up. I told him to "knock it off," my final command when the simple "no" failed. I apologized to the man, because I just didn't understand why Jake would do that.

The man told me that no apology was needed. He thought that Jake was barking at him because Jake was trying to protect me. He said he didn't realize it right away, but when we were talking about planting a certain tree in the yard, he had quickly lifted his arm way above his head to show how high the tree could grow, and he had brought his arm out in front of me and then over his head--something that Jake could see as a threatening gesture towards me. He said he should have known better.

It made me look at body language in a whole new way after that!

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

Tinkerbell would lead a burgler throughthe house making sure they knew where everything was. But if it was one of us...she'd protect us. Everyone that has met Tinkerbell knows she is a laid back, submissive golden. But one night I woke up to gunshots out in the woods behind our house, Tinkerbell was standing over me, completely alert and protective. And for a dog that normally can sleep thru anything...Then a few minutes later my daughter turned over in bed and hit the wall. tinkerbell jumped from my bed barking like crazy and clawing at my door, until I got it open. At which point she hit Kristal's door at a run knocking it open and jumping on the bed standing over her. She then refused to leave Kristal, and spent the rest of that night and the next couple of nights sleeping on Kristal's bed between Kristal and the window.

And last week, she put herself between kristal and the neighbor's dog that had gotten loose. The neighbors dog is a bit aggressive and I wouldn't trust it, it came into the yard towards Kristal barking and Tinkerbell put herself between them, teeth bared, growling, etc. teh other dog stopped anad it's owners were able to grab it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts