Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you--our dog came from a breeder and her parents looked good based on the OFA database. The breeder is having another litter, using a different female and I considered referring a friend to her.

I looked up the female dog, and she had "DJD 1" by her elbows, for a test just reported at the end of March. I screenshotted this, let my friend know, but somehow within a week of that, the elbow clearance is COMPLETELY gone from the OFA database! If I didn't have a screen shot I would think I was going crazy.

I can message the breeder, but she JUST had a baby, so I don't want to bug her. Could this be because she's getting a second level review of this, or something else? Why would it completely disappear?

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
They can- if dog fails and they call and say they didn't mean to release failing results, OFA will remove them. That said, if you have a screen shot of the fail, I will put it on k9data.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Nevermind - I had a question about OFA, but it's okay. I deleted and had to write something here. :)

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
Okay - new question. Has there ever been an effort (by breeders, vets, breed clubs?) to convince the OFA to change its policy and post ALL results - failing or passing - for hips and elbows? If the testing is done to improve the health of breeds, what is the reason OFA gives for not posting them?

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Don’t know if this is correct but it is my theory. OFA is about the health of all dogs. They are looking for as much data as possible for research and statistical evaluation. If all vets were required to submit all x-rays then posting all results would not negatively impact their access to data. Since the owners are in control of what gets submitted, offering the signature release for failed results would increase the chances potential fails will be submitted. Even if the results aren’t published, OFA will have full results for their research. This is also why OFA does NoReg dogs.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Okay - new question. Has there ever been an effort (by breeders, vets, breed clubs?) to convince the OFA to change its policy and post ALL results - failing or passing - for hips and elbows? If the testing is done to improve the health of breeds, what is the reason OFA gives for not posting them?
OFA can still use the submission in their own data (i.e. it's not deleted from the OFA universe just not in the public database) but just doesn't post the result to the dog. I think making that change would discourage the submission of dogs who people hope will pass but don't, personally.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
OFA can still use the submission in their own data (i.e. it's not deleted from the OFA universe just not in the public database) but just doesn't post the result to the dog. I think making that change would discourage the submission of dogs who people hope will pass but don't, personally.
That's interesting. Hadn't considered that possibility. It is definitely better that the OFA gets the x-rays and has the data for its research than to not get them at all.

I've mentioned this in the past, but if it weren't for this forum, I never would have known that I had to check the box to make Shala's elbows public. The vet who did the x-rays submitted the form and didn't ask me if I wanted it checked (she suspected Shala would fail with bilateral DJD1 and told me as much when she saw her elbows on the film, and she was right). I was already a moderately-longtime member here when Shala had her x-rays done, but it was at least another year before I read posts that made me realize there had been a way for me to make her result public on OFA. I wonder if there are other people who just don't know? For me, I also didn't want people to see that Shala failed elbows and have to wonder if she had Grade 3 ED, so I was really happy that I could get the info up there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts