Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I think when you prepare raw meat in your kitchenm, you can wash your hands and disinfect your counter tops. Much harder to disinfect a dog's mouth, face and paws. And it's probably not a big issue for adults, but having infants and small children in the house is a whole different thing.

Oh ok I guess I can see that point. My dogs don't touch the meat with their paws at all though but I can see how it would be difficult if they did to make sure they weren't tracking any bacteria into the house after eating outside. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I think comparing all kibble to McDonald's is very inaccurate. I agree a lot of kibble is very poor quality and can be compared to McDonald's but the premium brands that are often spoken of on this forum are very good.

It's the same with people food. Do you feed your family fast food and processed food several times a week/day? Many do. And, they, most likely with have health problems in the future, because of it. If you feed your dogs low quality dog food they, too, will most likely suffer from many health problems. Raw is a good choice for some. I do worry about the quality of food you are getting at some of the pricing stated. And expired food...can that be good? It's just not for me but then I rarely feed my human family meat either:).

I feed my human family mainly unprocessed ,high quality, healthy food.
I feed my pups high quality, holistic kibble. We all try to get enough exercise and live a healthy lifesyyle. Everybody does the best they can...I try not to judge but Nutrition happens to be my thing and it's very hard to see people hurt themselves by making bad choices. That goes for dogs, too.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think it really comes down to a personal preference. It is interesting to see what people prefer.

My dogs do very well on kibble. I am happy for the people that feed raw whose dogs are also thriving. The vet I worked for told me on numerous occassions of owners that fed raw but did more damage than good-- blockages, bacterial infections, death... from accidents of the knowledgeable or from the lack of knowledge from those 'winging it.'

Perhaps if my dogs had a medical condition that necessitated raw, I'd give it a try. Right now, the mantra- If it ain't broke, don't fix it seems pretty logical to me. The higher quality foods on the market are a far cry from Ol' Roy. I think many of us read the comparison to McDonalds and were surprised by that huge leap. Maybe on other forums, you would be speaking to the masses-- but on this forum I find everyone to be knowledgeable or trying to become knowledgeable about the better foods available.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts