Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I don't know if I believe that? Especially if you are feeding them mostly meat with a raw diet. :confused:

It's actually true. My dogs have a very meat heavy raw diet, and their poops are like little small pebbles. If I don't pick them up, they turn white and kind of disintegrate. lol kinda weird and gross, but they haven't had a mushy or stinky poo in years.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,057 Posts
So here's my bottom line answer to the OP's question.
Why kibble?
Because it works for me and my dogs.
Each of us has to choose that which we feel most comfortable feeding, based on our lifestyles, our scientific backgrounds, our knowledge, our finances, and most of all how our pets do on any given diet.
But unfortunately, some proponents of some diets come across as having a "holier than thou" attitude because of what they feed, and those implications are unnecessary, uncalled for, and downright rude. I do not take issue with any diet that someone feeds their pets. I only take issue if someone belittles the diet I feed my pets.

Exactly!!!! After this response, this thread really doesn't need to go any further.

·
Kate
21,360 Posts
It's actually true. My dogs have a very meat heavy raw diet, and their poops are like little small pebbles. If I don't pick them up, they turn white and kind of disintegrate. lol kinda weird and gross, but they haven't had a mushy or stinky poo in years.
But do they smell as bad as cat poop though - because of the mondo meat content? :yuck:

I mainly pick up after Jacks when we are walking or hiking. In our yard the poop dries up after either turns white and disintegrates as you describe, or it is eaten by crows.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I also want to put a plug in for training. :)

I find it a lot easier to train my dog (in the beginning) using food. I like to limit high value food to school and places with high distractions. So most of my dogs early basic training is done using his kibble and praise. I then know how much food my dog is intaking in any one day and I don't need to add in lots of treats. As the dog matures I then add in games/toys and still use some kibble for training.

I do think that we all want healthy, happy, well rounded dogs and which ever choice each owner makes that gets them there should be commended.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Please don't think I'm stupid, but can someone explain a "raw diet" to me? Is it literally raw meat and chicken or do you cook it?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I am a little offended by the feeling by some that if you feed kibble you are feeding junk to your dogs. I consider myself a responsible dog owner. I love my dogs, I care for my dogs, I worry about my dogs just as much as those who feed raw food do. They get regular vet checks, are bathed and groomed, live in the house, are trained and are members of our family. And yes, I am just as concerned about the health of my dogs as any one. It is a little disturbing to be judged so easily because of the food I choose to feed my dogs. And the comparison made that if we feed kibble is just like humans eating McDonalds is just silly.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
yup. tiny hard poops. Pleasure to pick up LOL
She ate my entire plate of spaghetti once and THAT was not nice to pick up :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
So here's my bottom line answer to the OP's question.
Why kibble?
Because it works for me and my dogs.
Each of us has to choose that which we feel most comfortable feeding, based on our lifestyles, our scientific backgrounds, our knowledge, our finances, and most of all how our pets do on any given diet.
But unfortunately, some proponents of some diets come across as having a "holier than thou" attitude because of what they feed, and those implications are unnecessary, uncalled for, and downright rude. I do not take issue with any diet that someone feeds their pets. I only take issue if someone belittles the diet I feed my pets.

If you feel "belittled" by my simple and friendly question, especially after it was made clear that I didn't mean to offend, that is really not my problem. I love GRF, but there are some thread on this forum that I do not relate to. Do I just demand they'd be discontinued? I just don't participate. problem solved :)
ps. I have no issue with kibble feeders. I was just asking....Judging people by the food they give their dogs is just silly

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
For the record...and I'm staying out of this debate...but Maggie is kibble fed and her poops are also rock hard pebbles that are a pleasure to pick up...and they don't smell all that much either...

·
Kate
21,360 Posts
If you feel "belittled" by my simple and friendly question, especially after it was made clear that I didn't mean to offend, that is really not my problem. I love GRF, but there are some thread on this forum that I do not relate to. Do I just demand they'd be discontinued? I just don't participate. problem solved :)
I didn't think you offended by asking the initial question...

Probably where people had issues were posts with assertions that all kibble is junk food and going to cause illness and cancer in dogs. That is just propaganda.

Dogs fed raw food diet get ill and have cancer just the same as those fed kibble. Nobody over here on the kibble side is saying that those dogs' illness or cancer was caused by the raw food diet.

I think it's fine that people feed raw food, but remember you are taking a lot of responsibility in your hands and need to make sure you are getting your dogs all of the vitamins and nutrients that they need. It's not just a matter of buying meat from the market and plopping it in a dish for your dog.

Ranger's threads and I think she has a diary as well? They were very informative about what all is involved with responsibly feeding a raw fed dog a balanced diet, and it's just not going to be for everyone.

Personally speaking, I can't handle the germs and salmonella part. I have a brother who has a funky immune system (long story short, the doctors had to take out his immune system to keep it from attacking his body) and it would be dangerous for him for our dogs to be going up to him with salmonella junk on their necks and jowls.

You can feed your dogs outside, but they will still have stuff on their coats and faces.

When you consider how dog food companies went through recalls last year because of the risk of salmonella being in some bags and causing illness, it's pretty serious.

Dogs live pretty long lives eating kibble. It's been formulated with their health and longevity in mind... so we the owners don't have to figure all that out.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is a time factor for me but also with small children in my house and a daughter who is a transplant patient I just can't risk any contact with unhealthy bacteria in my home.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
It is a time factor for me but also with small children in my house and a daughter who is a transplant patient I just can't risk any contact with unhealthy bacteria in my home.

Just curious if that means you don't prepare and eat meat for yourself and children too? I'm asking because that is a common reason given for those who choose not to feed a raw diet, yet they handle raw meat to cook for their family. I just don't really see how it's any different.

I certainly understand not wanting to risk bringing any bacteria in a home with someone with a compromised immune system.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Comes down to convince. It is a lot easier for me to store a bag of dog food than 20-30 pounds of meat. Also one of my dogs has urinary issues that the vet has her on a very strict diet and would probably be pretty upset if I decided to try something different.

I still sneak them some pork or chicken bones here and there though as a treat. Just have to really watch them since they are not as use to it and make sure they take their time eating it.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I think when you prepare raw meat in your kitchenm, you can wash your hands and disinfect your counter tops. Much harder to disinfect a dog's mouth, face and paws. And it's probably not a big issue for adults, but having infants and small children in the house is a whole different thing.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Another kibble feeder here too. I'm not opposed to RAW, but it is not for us, and probably never will be.

My reasons are: My husband would have me feedings our dogs Kibble and Bits if he had his way--no way would he ever go for RAW.

We have a toddler that very much enjoys helping feed the dogs and he is exposed to enough germs without adding in the raw meat that he would probably reach in and grab because why not? He's all boy and finds touching things fun.

And I do not have enough freezer/fridge space for our family--much less if I added in dog food for 3 dogs. I do not have space for another freezer/fridge and if I did--it would be for all of the deals I find couponing--not for my dogs food.

With that said, I feed a good quality kibble and pay around $53 for a 30 lb bag that lasts my guys about 3 weeks and 3-4 days.

Comparing kibble in general to McDonalds is a bit ridiculous and to say raw fed dogs never get cancer or sick is just not true. Not every food will work for every dog, whether it be kibble or raw.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts