Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie has been on a raw diet for about 4 months and I'm starting to wonder why the Kibble industry even exists? She loves raw so much and doesn't recognize kibble as food anymore. She is also very healthy and happy. No more itching, no more scratching, no more runny poop :) Plus I'm saving so much on food. I get whole chicken for 63cents/lbs and red meat for $1.29.

Why doesn't everyone feed raw?

·
Kate
21,360 Posts
Because working full time as I do, there isn't enough time to prepare and space to store raw food + regular kibble is cheaper and keeps better. In addition to that, I don't have to worry about bacteria and salmonella junk when my dog licks me. :)

I spend $33 every 2 months on dog food (high quality kibble, 15# bag).

My dog has allergies as far as mold and mildew.

He has no food allergies, except possibly corn - and I simply buy food without corn in it.

No skin itching or runny poop ever.

Remember that not every dog with runny poop or allergies is reacting to food. Most cases they have similar issues that we do with pollen and mold and contact allergies.

And stress and rich handouts (hot dogs or steak bits) cause upset digestive systems.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I can say the same about my dogs-nice, small poops, great breath, beautiful coats. I've never had an issue with allergies, itching or scratching, ears are clean. Longevity in my lines has been great. I have aways fed kibble and probably always will.

Everyone needs to feed what they think their dogs do best on, and what they can best do.

I also know one raw feeder who switched back to kibble, and was surprised that she did not see any difference in her dog. I think it can go both ways.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Kibble for pets is like McDonalds for humans. Quick Easy and Fast. That is our society today...... and why both pets and people are sick with disease and cancer. To each his own I say. Do what you feel is best. Personally I chose health over disease and "easy" food.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because working full time as I do, there isn't enough time to prepare and space to store raw food + regular kibble is cheaper and keeps better. In addition to that, I don't have to worry about bacteria and salmonella junk when my dog licks me. :)

What sort of food are you feeding for that price?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kibble for pets is like McDonalds for humans. Quick Easy and Fast. That is our society today...... and why both pets and people are sick with disease and cancer. To each his own I say. Do what you feel is best. Personally I chose health over disease and "easy" food.
Thats exactly what I told a friends of mine. Imagine eating a McDonald's burger twice a day your entire life! My friend has a cat who is 9 yo and acts like she is 20yo. I finally convinced her to start raw but the kitty wont touch it! we keep trying though :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not all of us have the time and resources to put into feeding raw. Please don't judge us badly for feeding our dogs what we can afford.
I'm not judging at all :) just wondering.
I spend maybe 30 seconds per day feeding and actually save over quality kibble.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
You only mentioned meat. What else are you feeding in your raw? Your dog is not getting everything he needs with a meat only diet.

I fed two of my pitbulls raw diets as they had lots of health issues. It was very time consuming. I dont have a lot of space either and I had to make only 2-3 days up at a time. I worked 40hr a wk. had 1.5hr drive everyday plus homeschooled my son. It was heck feeding raw.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Not everyone can devote the time and energy into feeding a complete raw diet. It's pretty simple to see why some/most choose to feed kibble to their dogs.

I am a raw feeder, so believe me I understand what you're trying to say and see firsthand the benefits a raw diet has given my dogs. But I also know it's not for everyone. It's a lot more work than feeding kibble. I wouldn't have ever started had my dog not had the allergy issues he did that prompted me to look for diet alternatives.

I think your post may come off a little judgy of those who choose to feed their dogs a perfectly good diet of kibble.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
I understand what your saying about raw but not all kibble is Mcdonalds food I just switched to Taste of the Wild & got the same results you did with raw.I know your not judging it's a valid question.Folks on here know I've often stressed because Jack is picky even my vet told me I worry too much & he sells the real high dollar stuff.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry if it came off "judgy" not intentional :)

I follow these recipes: Raw Fed Dogs
I dont feed her any veggies but she does mow the lawn :)

U guys feed them other veggies? if so, how do you get them to eat it? Gracie wont touch anything other than meat

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
Gracie has been on a raw diet for about 4 months and I'm starting to wonder why the Kibble industry even exists? She loves raw so much and doesn't recognize kibble as food anymore. She is also very healthy and happy. No more itching, no more scratching, no more runny poop :) Plus I'm saving so much on food. I get whole chicken for 63cents/lbs and red meat for $1.29.

Why doesn't everyone feed raw?

Feeding raw isn't for everyone. It is a huge commitment. I feed my 4 girls raw. Before starting I researched for years, then I had to get a special freezer just for their food and find an inexpensive source of meat. Now, I spend about 12 hours a month preparing their food of the month. In addition, I never used to have to wash their kibble dishes. For raw feeding I had to purchase bigger dishes and they are washed every day. They take much more time eating their raw food than they did their kibble. I used to feed them in crates, now I feed them outdoors on back deck and front porch. Then I have to hose it off.
I am also fortunate enough to have access to lots of inexpensive red meat. I pay $20 for as much as I can fit in my freezers. I also get 33 lb of chicken leg quarters for $15. It only cost me about $50 a month to feed all for dogs. Not everyone has the time or resources to be able to feed raw and that is why they make some great kibble alternatives.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
How do you do that with 2 dogs o_O? I spend $35 a month feeding mine kibble. That $35 is a 20lb bag.

I used to feed my larger dog raw. In the end he started to develop issues with the diet after being on it for a couple years. His immune system if shot so he wasnt able to handle any bacteria, wasnt digesting bone etc.

Price wise given where I am and how he is such a high energy dog it cost me about $60-$80 every month to feed raw. So kibble is cheaper and I finally found a kibble he agrees with which would be the Pro Plan Salmon/Rice. My little dog isnt fed raw because shes not really mine. My grandmother pays her vet bills but she was kind enough to let me pick out what kibble shes on. I took her off Beneful and put her on a rotation of high quality treats and I sneak in raw here and there. I do all the walking, playing and do contribute to vet bills oddly...so shes half mine :p

My cat is fed 3/4 raw and 1/3 kibble. I am about to down to half half due to the cost of Honest Kitchen as he wont eat regular raw. If he did, he would be all raw as it would cost me $10 to feed him a month

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
sorry if it came off "judgy" not intentional :)

I follow these recipes: Raw Fed Dogs
I dont feed her any veggies but she does mow the lawn :)

U guys feed them other veggies? if so, how do you get them to eat it? Gracie wont touch anything other than meat
As much as many will disagree, dogs are anatomically carnivore. They are also listed as as that in any text book. A dogs body cannot just magically evolve to having the needed teeth and fluids to digest plant matter IMO. But, they can adjust to a variety of diets. Mine loves carrots, apples and bananas..well he likes anything you put in front of him but LOVES those three the most so I feed as treats :)

·
Kate
21,360 Posts
What sort of food are you feeding for that price?
Merrick.

I'm not feeding fast food to my dogs. If I were, I guarantee you it would be that junk at the grocery store.

But even there... we fed our first cat your grocery store type kibble for his entire life. Whatever was on sale. He was a few months shy of 20 when we put him to sleep. That cat rarely to never was sick in his life. The only health issues he had were related to him fighting with cats outside. He had part of his ear missing, etc.

As far as raw being cheaper than going the kibble route, you have to total up your spending over two months before you can claim that. :)

How do you do that with 2 dogs o_O? I spend $35 a month feeding mine kibble. That $35 is a 20lb bag.
My guy gets 2 cups of food a day. He is a golden retriever, so does not need or should be overfed. So a 15lb bag lasts just long enough. Any longer than 2 months and we are getting into kibble getting too old and yucky.

Our collie is on prescription food ($65 every 2 months). I don't pay for his food, so I don't count him. In his case, he can eat some of Jacks food, but with chronic digestive issues, he will be on prescription kibble for life. We floated the idea of trying homecooked food with him, but it would have to be very controlled and veterinary guided, because it doesn't take much for his system to get thoroughly messed up.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Feeding raw isn't for everyone. It is a huge commitment. I feed my 4 girls raw. Before starting I researched for years, then I had to get a special freezer just for their food and find an inexpensive source of meat. Now, I spend about 12 hours a month preparing their food of the month. In addition, I never used to have to wash their kibble dishes. For raw feeding I had to purchase bigger dishes and they are washed every day. They take much more time eating their raw food than they did their kibble. I used to feed them in crates, now I feed them outdoors on back deck and front porch. Then I have to hose it off.
I am also fortunate enough to have access to lots of inexpensive red meat. I pay $20 for as much as I can fit in my freezers. I also get 33 lb of chicken leg quarters for $15. It only cost me about $50 a month to feed all for dogs. Not everyone has the time or resources to be able to feed raw and that is why they make some great kibble alternatives.
Where do you shop? I'm still going to grocery stores....

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Merrick.

I'm not feeding fast food to my dogs. If I were, I guarantee you it would be that junk at the grocery store.

But even there... we fed our first cat your grocery store type kibble for his entire life. Whatever was on sale. He was a few months shy of 20 when we put him to sleep. That cat rarely to never was sick in his life. The only health issues he had were related to him fighting with cats outside. He had part of his ear missing, etc.

As far as raw being cheaper than going the kibble route, you have to total up your spending over two months before you can claim that. :)
Merrick must be cheaper where you are. I looked into that food for Lincoln before I found the food he digests fine and they wanted like $45 for a 15lb bag. A 15lb bag would last Link a month if I am lucky. I do feed that food to Ruby in her rotation

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts
I get my chicken at the local chicken plant. They sell directly to the public in a little shack outside the plant. The red meat comes from a food co op that I joined. They go into the grocery store once a week and take out all of the expired meats. I sign up once a month, sometimes once every other month depending on how much meat I get. I make a donation when I pick up the food. The min donation is $5 and the max is $20. I usually take a lot of meat so I usually donate $20. The only time I buy their food at the grocery store is when I don't get any organs from the co op. Then I will buy either chicken or beef liver for them.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think raw is a great diet, but honestly not feasable for everyone. I definitely wouldn't say that all kibble is a mcdonalds diet, either. All high kibbles are balanced in nutrients for dogs; I definitely cannot say the same for mcdonalds food.

I will never feed raw. Like I said, it is a great idea, but it takes a lot of time and commitment. Not to mention your own freezer for your dog's food, prep time, etc. Plus, I don't eat red meat myself, so I am certainly not going to go out and buy it for my dog.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts