Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I'll keep you in my prayers as I can only imagine what you are going through at this point but have given alot of thought about th eday I'll face this as well after being on this board for 1.5 years niow. I'm just so torn myself between bringing Amber home and burying her myself or having her cremated which is what I would want to do but when I think of her laying in the freezer at the vets office waiting to be picke dup for cremation...I'm just not I could handle that either. It makes me sniffle thinking about the situation you are in as we speak. I worked for a vet while In HS and that was the hardest part, having to handle peoples beloved pets for cremation and thats the main reason I have so much trouble with the choice myself. I think I would want to be there if possible for the cremation.
You are and will continue to be in my prayers and thoughts. I can only hope and pray things slowly begin to get easier for you and the pain is slowly replaced with the happy memories that your pup brought you.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Linda, it's such an impossible task...to bring home ashes when what you want so desperately is that breathing pup under your hand. I couldn't do it with Cody, my son had to go pick him up. I hadn't decided what to do with his ashes, so I put that box in his woobie basket, buried amongst his favorite toys, where it stayed for a few months. You will be able to breathe again, but it may be awhile. The blessing is that Harley was in your life, the tragedy that he couldn't stay. I'm so very sorry....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi Linda,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss of Harley. It's a painful process but will get easier with time. When your emotions are ready the tears will be replaced with smiles of the many happy memories you shared.
That is so true. I have lost 6 (5 of them were Goldens). The initial grief can't be described in words, but they are such wonderful companions that someday, sooner than you think, you will find yourself laughing out loud remembering their antics. There will always be an occasional tear or two, but nothing to compare with what you are feeling now. I remember a few days after I lost my last boy, Buster. He had been by side 24/7 for his last 7 1/2 years in my retirement. We were joined at the hip. I found a couple fur balls in the yard from his last grooming session. I have never cried uncontrollably out loud like that in my life. It is a great comfort to me to have his ashes near. I also had a clay pawprint done. They enclosed a lock of his hair which I hadn't asked for or expected. Sounds morbid, perhaps, but I am so glad to have it.

Attachments

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
LindaLou

We are sorry for the loss of your Harley, bringing the ashes home just opens the hurt a little more for a while but you have your pup now where he is safest.......with you. We will think of you and Harley today.

Jerry and Harley

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Sorry for the loss of Harley, it will take time to heal, Many of us have experienced the sadness of loosing our beloved Goldens.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Harley. Three of my beloved goldens are at Rainbow Bridge. My Max's ashes are in my bedroom in a beautiful walnut box with his name and dates engraved on a gold nameplate. His picture sits on top.

In time you will remember with joy but may always shed some tears. I still miss my Max so much.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Picking up the ashes wasn't so bad once I actually went to do it. We got a wooden urn, which is very nice (and currently on a shelf), but I had such a strong sense that Gus was gone, even when I was sitting next to his body, that the ashes themselves are more an excuse to remember him than anything important in and of themselves.

I'm not sure if that makes sense, but my boy is in my heart, not in that box.

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
You're going to think I'm crazy, but I sit and talk to my Heidi still. I kiss her goodnight and tell her I love her before going to sleep. I felt more at peace once she was back home with me. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
Picking up my pups ashes was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Everyone at the vet's knew me, but when I walked in, there was a new girl at the desk, and I had to EXPLAIN why I was there.
of course, I broke down, and one of the other girls behind the desk stepped in and helped me..
Pretty awful, but glad I did it.. I still have him with me...

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
At my sister's clinic, they have a special room they keep them in until the parents/owners come to pick them up. A few pets have been there three or four years, as it is just too hard on the owners to pick them up. One final bit of finality, perhaps? Who knows.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I knew we would be away when Hunter's ashes came back to the vet so I had my son go and get him. I just didn't want him being there any longer, he needed to be HOME. I had a spot in the living room ready with flowers for my son to put him along with the many sympathy cards we had received.
First thing we did when we returned home was go talk to Hunter.

We both talk to him all the time ( so, no Blair, don't think you are crazy at all!)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Mine are almost the same. The urn boxes are in little cubby-doors on the Mirror dresser, and a picture of each, with their last collar, tags and all, around it.

My sister has very specific instructions that when my time comes, everything there goes into MY box with me.

I am so sorry for your loss of Harley. Three of my beloved goldens are at Rainbow Bridge. My Max's ashes are in my bedroom in a beautiful walnut box with his name and dates engraved on a gold nameplate. His picture sits on top.

In time you will remember with joy but may always shed some tears. I still miss my Max so much.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Mine are almost the same. The urn boxes are in little cubby-doors on the window dresser, and a picture of each, with their last collar, tags and all, around it.

My sister has very specific instructions that when my time comes, everything there goes into MY box with me.
Oh gosh - my husband said the same thing - Jake goes with him - I said fine - unless I go first! So now we're running a race? :doh:

Sigh.. reading everyone's posts brings it back to mind and I miss him still. :(

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Know exactly what you mean - we have been fortunate (if there is such a thing ) that when our dogs have been cremated, they have always been delivered to us at home. What i have found hard is seeing the guy lifting the casket out of the car and carrying it as if it was something so precious ( it is to us), and on opening the front door i take the casket and shoot off upstairs before breaking down.

I'm always so relieved that they are back home safely, and as others have said when i go then they come in the box with me (hubby says i;ll need a bigger than average size box!)

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Originally Posted by NuttinButGoldens
Mine are almost the same. The urn boxes are in little cubby-doors on the window dresser, and a picture of each, with their last collar, tags and all, around it.

------------------
Oh gosh - my husband said the same thing - Jake goes with him - I said fine - unless I go first! So now we're running a race? :doh:

Sigh.. reading everyone's posts brings it back to mind and I miss him still. :(
Same here, only we have all of them (cats and dogs). Hubby wants all of us together. We're gonna need a very big urn.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Harley, Linda.
Picking them up is such a difficult thing. I've had two of my boys cremated and walking in there to pick them up was an experience I don't even have words for. In both instances, I couldn't wait to have them home where they belong, but actually walking in there to pick up those little boxes was horrible.

In hindsight, I'm glad that we chose that option. I hope that they've both moved on to wherever it is that they're supposed to be, but at the same time, I can feel that something of them is still here with us.
Both of them are on shelves in our built-ins in the living room, in nice wooden urns.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts