Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are three weeks before our Novice debut in the agility ring (for both of us) and my girl who loves agility is now starting to have issues. Two weeks ago Ellie started stopping at some of the jumps. We have been in class for 1.5 years and stopping at jumps has never been an issue. The first thing I thought of was pain but she takes the vast majority with no issues, no wincing, yelping or limping she just stops. I toss over a toy/treat and NOW we will do it and from then on she seems fine with that jump. This seems to be any jump that looks different (maybe an extra bar on it or a different set of panels). The only thing I can come up with is that we have just gotten our CD and started concentrating on the open/GN activities that also have jumps. Could that be mixing her up? Has anyone experienced this?

I'm looking for somewhere to do run throughs to try to give her more experience but I'm clueless other than to just work though it. Ideas???

As my trainer says - it always shows up when you send in your entry!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Liberty took every jump until the day she didnt - and it happened to be at a trial....off to the vet for xrays and sure enough a bum elbow..as you said...no yelping/wincing or limping...she just stopped.

When the jumps are up in the backyard ...and if she is feeling well...she will still take one to try to get a cookie....

·
Kate
21,690 Posts
I would probably have her checked at the vet if you are concerned... one thing I remember from my Danny with his bad elbows is he would jump (nothing over 20"), but on bad days he needed a little extra encouragement or he would calculate jumps more before taking them.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Are you training more than you have because of the upcoming trial? I agree with others, I would have an xray done to be safe. I think she is trying to tell you something.

My Teddi as a pup wouldn't jump in the car at the same age my other dogs were doing it. Hip Dysplasia... she still doesn't jump in the car. She however did do agility and seemed to like it... for a while. Then she stopped jumping there. She too was diagnosed with bad elbows. She will jump...when she feels like it. She loves the tunnels, weaves, contacts... you name it, just not the jumps. Have her checked out to be sure.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
If she is more then two years old, you could ask for OFA positioning then you could submit there as well if you choose...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - The weather here in Illinois is so beautiful that I dragged out my jumps and tunnel and we played in the backyard with a friend and her dog. At the first jump I got the same blah response and a stop but then I pulled out her toy and the treats and we made it FUN. She was willing and more than able to do whatever I wanted. Honestly I think with all the training I was getting more serious and she was thinking "boy this used to me more fun...I don't want to play anymore".

I have class again on Friday so we will see how that goes. She is also just turning 2 and the breeder is organizing an X-ray party so that will reassure me as well. Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update #2 - just to be on the safe side I had Ellie checked by a chiropractor today and low and behold she had an issue with her back end that was causing pain (you all are so smart). They worked on her and loosened it up and she is ok to try again. So glad I had her checked!!!!! Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts