Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Although I am new to this forum, I have actually been referring to the historical threads on here A LOT over the past few weeks – so thank you to everyone who has contributed in the past, you’ve all really helped us make the transition to being puppy owners so smooth! We have a 12 week old golden retriever girl called Skye, who we brought home at 8 weeks. She is a very calm, thoughtful and receptive pup, and so far she has been an absolute delight to have around (when she isn’t zooming LOL!), and has adjusted really well to our household (minus a bit of reverse house training in the past week or so as we’ve tried to phase out the puppy pads…!)

Posting today as I have quite a specific question for you guys that’s been eating away at us… in your experience, what could be making our 12 week-old poop blood? For the past 3 days or so, her poops (which have been coming out in time and frequency with her established routine) have contained what appears to be a drop or two of blood. Her poops have also been slightly wetter than usual over the past few days. Additionally whereas until now her poops have always been quite big – this morning when we took her out for her usual poop walk, instead of doing her usual large coil, she pooped 2 small wet ones about 5 mins apart? Usually she empties all in one go so not sure what this was about. Each time there was also what seemed to be a drop of blood on top of the tiny pile.

Skye doesn’t appear to be in any general discomfort, has absolutely zero loss of appetite, doesn’t whine when she poops at all, and seems to be her usual self the rest of the time. She is sleeping a lot still, but we think this is because we pretty much walk her to her limit every day… So on the whole she seems absolutely fine, which is pretty much preventing us from worrying too much… but every time she poops the blood it obviously alarms us. As luck has it, we are off to the vet tonight anyway (we had a consultation re worming/flea treatment scheduled). But we still wanted to know if the GRF community could offer any insight that we could perhaps bring with us to the vet?

In case the info is useful she was wormed every 2 weeks before we got her, then again at 8 weeks and 10 weeks – we are now told we don’t need to worm her until she’s 14 weeks, then worming will be every month after that. We think she may have had worms inside her when we wormed her at 10 weeks since she had a slight reaction to the tablet – she vomited and had a touch of diarrhoea in the 24hrs after taking them.

She is fed Skinners Field and Trial - the puppy chicken version Skinner's Field and Trial Chicken Puppy Working Dog Food 15kg | Pets At Home, which is dry. We only feed her this because it’s the food which the breeder weaned her on so she’s never known anything different. I’ve been reading that some puppies have an intolerance to chicken which can cause bowel issues though… does anyone have any feedback on this? The only other things she eats are tiny bits of frankfurter which we use as a treat over the course of the day for pottying in the right place.

Looking forward to hearing your views! Thanks :smile2:

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Coccidia, guardia are my first choices...
both are difficult to spot of fecal float. What kind of dewormer was used by both the breeder (and was it weight considered or just dosed same amount per pup?) and by the vet office?
The piece about the 10 week deworm is interesting... so if you don't mind, go look see what was given both as a puppy and later..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! Following a quick google Coccidia sounds possible.

As for the wormer, the worming pill was prescribed by the vet whilst she was under the breeders care. We followed the dosage recommended by the vet until the tablet ran out (half a tablet each time, for 8 and 10 weeks). The tablet has now run out so we are having a consultation tonight about what to use from here onwards.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Thanks for your reply! Following a quick google Coccidia sounds possible.

As for the wormer, the worming pill was prescribed by the vet whilst she was under the breeders care. We followed the dosage recommended by the vet until the tablet ran out (half a tablet each time, for 8 and 10 weeks). The tablet has now run out so we are having a consultation tonight about what to use from here onwards.
What was the drug in the pill, or the pill's name?
When you picked up puppy, you should have been given a history that told what dewormer was given at 2,4,6,8 weeks, etc. She will most likely need to be dewormed properly again, regardless, but the vet you see will want to know what was given so you'll need to get that info out anyway. Worms and protozoa are nothing to gloss over- they can kill a puppy.
There are snap tests for giardia, that seeing cysts in the fecal don't require..not sure on coccidia but tend to think cysts need to be seen and that is hard sometimes. Your vet is your best option- Dr Google isn't always reliable!

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
And on coccidia- stress plays a role. Going to a new home, even a fabulous home, is stressful. Good stress, bad stress- doesn't matter.
Most puppies do have exposure to coccidia. Whether it rears it's head or not is dependent on how it is managed and isn't any reflection on you...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was the drug in the pill, or the pill's name?
When you picked up puppy, you should have been given a history that told what dewormer was given at 2,4,6,8 weeks, etc. She will most likely need to be dewormed properly again, regardless, but the vet you see will want to know what was given so you'll need to get that info out anyway. Worms and protozoa are nothing to gloss over- they can kill a puppy.
There are snap tests for giardia, that seeing cysts in the fecal don't require..not sure on coccidia but tend to think cysts need to be seen and that is hard sometimes. Your vet is your best option- Dr Google isn't always reliable!
Hi Robin, spoke to the breeder today and it's been confirmed that she was wormed using Drontal Puppy wormer which apparently covers all intestinal worms that would normally be found in dogs. We were then provided with a Milbemax tablet to give her at 8 & 10 weeks (we picked her up at 7 weeks and 6 days old)...

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Yup - I would say coccidia or giardia, too. My pup had both, and blood in the diarrhea was part of it. It indicates there is irritation in the colon. You should ask your vet about putting your dog on a very bland vet food for a few weeks (Purina EN is one) to give your pup's system a chance to calm down while he's on meds. To this day, four years later, if my dog has a bout of diarrhea, there are drops of blood at the end. I don't know how typical that is of a dog who had intestinal issues as a baby.

Reactions: goldenskyebaby

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I'm concluding you are not in the US?

I'm the queen of deworming lol (at least in my group of peers... that's what they call me but I am pretty sure it's said with love...) and I have never used Milbemax w puppies (actually have never used it at all, I find pyrantel to be sufficient and think of Milbemax as a tape product... I also think of Drontal as a tapeworm product, so wouldn't think of using it w puppies.... but if you are not in the US, protocols may be totally different! Thank you for humoring me!
I do think you are probably dealing w either a protozoal issue or whip worms (blood). Deworming is very easy on them and in my mind, if the 10 week deworm left you thinking there was a load, probably shifting to a different drug altogether might be a good idea.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I thought of whip worms too. We use Telmin KH here which is for dogs and cats made from Mebendazole 100mg. It kills various worms including Trichuris vulpis which is canine whip worm.

You have to get this from the vet and should always ask advice from the vet on these types of products and the age of your dog.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts