Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- I know I've seen threads about smell before and have read through several, but none seem to describe us exactly. So here it goes:

We rescued Jake last year, he is around 6-7 years old, guesses vary. Right away we noticed the odor. It is a dirty foot odor-smelly socks-locker room after a game type of smell.

He is pretty dry and itching spells come and go.

Currently we feed him Nutrisource lamb and rice or chicken and rice- we see no difference between those so we go back and forth.

We've tried adding an omega-3 oil on a daily basis.

We got to the vet and get his shots. He had one skin condition before and had antibiotics. His thyroid levels have been checked and are normal.

We give baths regularly, have to, and he smells ok for a couple of days. We use either a medicated shampoo (from the vet) or just a nice smelling conditioning shampoo (recommended by vet and obedience lady).

He doesn't roll in anything specific outside, just the grass. He's not a water dog who gets wet regularly. His ears are fine. His anal glands are fine.

He is fabulous and smart and beautiful in every other way...its just that he is on the smelly side. What can we try??!! I've read about chlorophyll?? dinovite?? Any tips would be appreciated. :wave:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would try a different food. I've researched a lot of foods trying to help with different health and allergy issues. While all the foods I tried were "premium" dog foods, I found certain brands definitely did change things and gave the boys a "wet dog" smell. All dogs react differenly to foods so it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Buckskin had a similar odor and a type of skin fungus was the culprit. After several rounds of antifungus medications there was some improvement but not much. Bucky was allergic to the whole world so we concentrated on that and pretty much got used to his weird aroma.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ruby suffers from allergies that cause her to bite, lick and scratch constantly. She also would have weekly baths and after day 3 that horrible smell would come back. Back at the beginning of November we put her on a regimine of Temaril-P (antihistamine/steroid) which helped her. The one big difference was that she wasn't letting off that odor. It had been almost 3 weeks since her last bath since starting the meds. The inflammation was under control. She is now taking 1 pill daily and we will see how she does with it over the next few weeks. She just had her bath yesterday, so I will see how long she can go without stinking it up.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Give his collar a good deep ::sniff:: to be sure that it is not a smelly moldy collar...

Groom him ALOT - be sure to comb down to the skin...not just the outer guard hair....if his coat is thick...the the dead coat that has not fallen off can trap moisture and get stinky. If mats are in the coat and the coat gets wet they can get funky.

Be sure that he doesn't have an ear infection...again get your nose close and ::sniff::

Check over every inch of his skin to see if there is not a hot spot brewing.

Reactions: GoldensGirl
1 - 5 of 5 Posts