Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Murphy has NEVER been allowed people food, but for some reason every time we're in the kitchen or have plates of food, he begs! I mean bad! He goes so far as to try and lay his head on my leg. It's very irritating to me since I hate nothing more than a begging dog. I think it's rude. I try to push him away and make him sit, but this has been going on for weeks, and it's not helping. Any ideas?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Give him something else to do. It's much easier to train an alternative behavior positively than to extinguish an undesired behavior directly with negatives.

Does he have a "go to your spot" command? I find that one to be a lifesaver when it comes to making a dog a livable companion. Start training it by standing next to the spot and showing him where to go lie down. Reward liberally and sporadically when he successfully lies down in the right spot. Move further and further away, a foot at a time, so you train the ability just to point to it and say the command. Eventually, you'll be able to do it from anywhere in the room.

Don't forget to always give some kind of feedback for successful compliance, especially once he gets the hang of doing it reliably (we tend to forget at that stage). Food rewards can be powerful in this situation since that's ultimately what he's begging for.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
First, are you sure he's not being rewarded for begging? That's usually the reason they beg, because it works. I know this from experience :curtain: I'm notorious for sharing my food with Daisy, but she's a very polite begger (honestly!). My son, on the other hand, he _never_ gave her his food and she didn't beg from him, it simply didn't work for her.

You might try to offer him his on chew treat before you anticipate him begging, distract him away from you I guess? Maybe offer him his own special time out in his crate with something tasty.

** I am literally laughing at myself as I'm writing this ... I am such a dismal failure in this area :p:

·
luv my goldens
481 Posts
Sierra is starting to beg me as well and I never feed her anything but her kibble and treats. We have been working on the go to your bed command. I have also been doing the down stay with her to help.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Tippy...when doing the go to your place command with two dogs should I send them in two different places? Our Chester 2 years is a terrible begger (yes it's our fault) but I would like to curb it and not start such a bad habit with Murphy 18 weeks. Plus I have seen it used when people come to the door and other such times when it would be nice to have them in a down/stay.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Tippy...when doing the go to your place command with two dogs should I send them in two different places? Our Chester 2 years is a terrible begger (yes it's our fault) but I would like to curb it and not start such a bad habit with Murphy 18 weeks. Plus I have seen it used when people come to the door and other such times when it would be nice to have them in a down/stay.
When it comes to our kitchen, their spot is right outside the threshold, so they're right next to each other. But it would be relatively straightforward to train two separate spots instead. I don't think it particularly matters, unless your dogs distract each other too much when they're next to each other.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, are you sure he's not being rewarded for begging? That's usually the reason they beg, because it works.
Honestly, he's NEVER had human food. Unless the breeder gave him some and I sure as heck hope not.

Tippy - I will definitely teach him the "go to your spot" thing. I never thought about doing that, duh. Thanks so much for the idea.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Tessa use to always do this because my brother would feed her from his plate, but now we have taught Tessa to go lay under the table beside the kitchen table. If you tell Murphy to lay down in a certain spot he'll learn not to beg.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
My first guess is that someone in the house is breaking the rules :)

I let Gilmour have pre-wash duties, but that's as far as I try to let it go.

Murphy has NEVER been allowed people food, but for some reason every time we're in the kitchen or have plates of food, he begs! I mean bad! He goes so far as to try and lay his head on my leg. It's very irritating to me since I hate nothing more than a begging dog. I think it's rude. I try to push him away and make him sit, but this has been going on for weeks, and it's not helping. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
** I am literally laughing at myself as I'm writing this ... I am such a dismal failure in this area :p:
I must admit to my failure here as well. When I brought Cocasse home not only would he not even look at my food but whomever had him before taught him how to go lay down while the humans are eating. I'm afraid that I have been giving him treats from my plate :doh: He is still very good about going to lay down when asked. I'll have to work on myself here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts