Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of goldens (and other breeds) blowing their coats. I had thought what I read though was that they did this at about 1 year old.
Bonnie has been steadily shedding her fur for about a week or so. She has never been much of a shedder and has a very different coat than Bear. She has always had a very long wavy dark red coat.
Now, she is losing quite a bit of it, but is showing no other symptoms. No fleas, no itchiness(beyond the normal it's winter dry skin itch) She actually scratches much less than Bear. She is eating well, happy, playful and sleeps soundly. She will be 2 at the end of June.
Is this something I need to get her in to the vet for, or is she truly just blowing her coat?

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
If it is just the undercoat that she is blowing, I would not worry. Blowing undercoat is pretty typical this time of year, as the days get longer.

If she is losing top coat, then it may be time for a fecal check to start with. Goldens seldom lose top coat without an underlying cause, such as allergies or parasites, or after a litter of puppies.

·
Opus and Tasha
3,988 Posts
You never said how old Bonnie is.

The first time Natasha 'blew' her coat she was a little over 3 months old.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Are you asking because you're seeing a lot on the floor and brush or because the dog looks balding or patchy in places? Extra hair on the floor can be a seasonal event as the undercoat comes out, but truly thinning hair is usually a cause for concern.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bonnie is 20 months old.
It does seem to be the undercoat, although I would say she has lost a bit of her top, really wavy coat- not much but just enough to have me worried!
I know that some dogs do have allergies to corn, she has been eating Blue Seal Lamb and Rice for about 9 months. One of the main ingredients is corn gluten, would that cause allergies?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Bonnie is 20 months old.
It does seem to be the undercoat, although I would say she has lost a bit of her top, really wavy coat- not much but just enough to have me worried!
I know that some dogs do have allergies to corn, she has been eating Blue Seal Lamb and Rice for about 9 months. One of the main ingredients is corn gluten, would that cause allergies?
People will tell you corn gluten causes lots of allergies, and they're probably right, but it's not all that common. Skin allergies usually cause serious itching, chewing of the feet, ear infections, and hot spots, rather than general hair loss.

But it does sound like more like a seasonal shed at this point than anything else.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone! Bonnie has the most beautiful red gold fur I've ever seen on a golden so it's hard for me to see her losing it. I am thinking it makes sense that she is blowing her coat, then she'll start getting her "real" adult fur, lol!

·
16,000 Posts
This sounds like a seasonal shed, I agree. I've also seen dogs lose coat at around this age as their complete adult coat starts to come in. I can't remember what Tahnee calls it, but her name for it is perfect...

Is she spayed? If so, when did you spay her? Anesthesia will cause coat to blow, as well.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
One of the main ingredients is corn gluten, would that cause allergies?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bad Stuff ! My poor terrier had 4 to 6 seizures a month for 2 years because of the corn gluten in ProPlan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts