Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all my running consists of alternating between running and walking...my heart monitor 'tells' me when to walk.

After my heart surgery, complications, infections, stroke, etc. I was falling down a lot. I could trip on a crack in the sidewalk and fall down and getting pretty darned sick and tired of it. Then I realized that during 5 years of basically doing nothing but recover my muscles lost their 'fast twitch' and strength so once I stumbled I couldn't get my feet under me fast enough to stay upright.

Well, FF to yesterday. I was raking leaves out of a flower bed and stepped backwards into the drain area for the low spot in our yard. It's surrounded by bricks and is about 8 inches deep by 4 feet across. I took a few quick steps backwards and came out the other side ON MY FEET! Penny's Dad said it looked like I was running backwards! Yea, I didn't fall down. And THAT's why I run!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I don't run right now, though I am planning on running a 5k in the spring. I do work out on an orbital/arc trainer at the gym, plus work out on the machines. I do it because I want to be stronger and healthier. I also do it because I honestly love working out now.

Oh, and congratulations on not falling!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I have a reason why I DON'T run: I get side stiches and my lungs start burning after just a little jogging. I wish I enjoyed running but I don't.

What I do like is push ups!

Reactions: Karen519

·
Kate
21,659 Posts
Eeek! I'm glad you didn't fall! o_O

I can't run long periods - no marathons for me. I had a minor heart issue a couple years back that scared me (my heart is fine, I've had tests done, etc). And my hips and knees aren't too sweet on me after all of the posting without stirrups, posting for two beats without stirrups, standing up without stirrups, 1-2 hour riding drills I'd do back when still doing equitation comp. >.<

I do like doing 1 minute sprints though. That much I can manage. :)

I probably still would have fallen and smacked my head open though. o_O

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I'm another person who can't run. I have neurological pain in my left leg from a work accident 2 years ago, and running makes it excruciating. I've never really been a runner though - even when I was playing softball, basketball, volleyball... I hated running. :p:

I swim. It's easy on my 26 year old-old lady body.

Kudos to everyone who runs though. I always envy people who run by me while I'm slowly walking with Flora, lol.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never ran before last year and at the speed I go, it's actually jogging but runners don't make that distinction: you're either walking or running. I like that!

I can remember being chastised by the teacher in gym class in middle school that I wasn't trying hard enough "YOU CAN RUN FASTER THAN THAT". Ummm, no I can't. I'm more of a stroller.

I do sprints too, Meg, alternating either 1 minute of each or 2 min running, 3 walking. I don't know how much I can push my heart so I tend to back off when I reach 85% thr.

I love the freedom of being able to run....it's a handy skill to have in my toolbox when it's raining. ;)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have never been a runner, but I recently did the C25K program and discovered that I really enjoy running. I really enjoy the feeling of making progress by adding a little bit each week. The program starts you at 1 minute run to 1 minute walk and you end up by being able to run for either 30 minutes straight or 3 miles (whichever works for you.) Since I finished the 5K program, I've begun adding to my weekly long runs, with my longest so far being six miles. I ran a 5K last weekend and did well and now I want to train for a longer event. I love the feeling of going for a goal and attaining it. With running, I can get that satisfaction if I'm willing to do the work. Right now, I am. I ordinarily have problems with depression, but when I run I get the runner's high and it lasts for hours with me. I also enjoy getting my old level of fitness back. It's been a long time since I've been really comfortable in my body. Since I started running, I'm a lot happier with the way I feel and the way I move.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was surprised at the amount of core strength I got back with running. You really do have to use your core muscles to keep balance. Core strength is important when a horse makes a sudden moves and unseats the rider. It can be the difference between staying on and coming off.

Ginny, are you increasing your time/distance using the 10% rule? No more than 10% at any one time? My marathon/tri-athlete son follows this rule and got up to 26+ miles in 4:18.

·
Kate
21,659 Posts
@GinnyinPA - I'm jealous. :)

Even before my wonky heart thingy happened, the longest I could run was a mile at a time. <- I would run for a mile, walk for five minutes, run the next mile, walk ten minutes, run the next mile, crawl off the treadmill in a light-headed stupor. :D

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My run sprints are only 2 minutes at a time...so I admire EVERYONE.

Loisiana, I just started push-up and 'side-ups' (planks, I think they are) last spring. WOW, HARD!!!!!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's better when the 'light-headed stupor' comes from wine! :D:D:wave::D

@GinnyinPA - I'm jealous. :)

Even before my wonky heart thingy happened, the longest I could run was a mile at a time. <- I would run for a mile, walk for five minutes, run the next mile, walk ten minutes, run the next mile, crawl off the treadmill in a light-headed stupor. :D

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I have never been a runner, but I recently did the C25K program and discovered that I really enjoy running. I really enjoy the feeling of making progress by adding a little bit each week. The program starts you at 1 minute run to 1 minute walk and you end up by being able to run for either 30 minutes straight or 3 miles (whichever works for you.) Since I finished the 5K program, I've begun adding to my weekly long runs, with my longest so far being six miles. I ran a 5K last weekend and did well and now I want to train for a longer event. I love the feeling of going for a goal and attaining it. With running, I can get that satisfaction if I'm willing to do the work. Right now, I am. I ordinarily have problems with depression, but when I run I get the runner's high and it lasts for hours with me. I also enjoy getting my old level of fitness back. It's been a long time since I've been really comfortable in my body. Since I started running, I'm a lot happier with the way I feel and the way I move.
I get the runners high after working out on the orbital/arc trainer. I love how I feel and I start getting restless about 30-45 minutes before I leave work because I know I am going to the gym on my way home.

I want to run a 5k in the spring and then train for a 10k in the fall. I love setting goals for myself and feel so proud when I hit those goals.

I am one of those who could never work out with a personal trainer. I don't want to be accountable to anyone but myself. I have a lot of self discipline when I really want something, which is very helpful when it comes to working out.

Congrats on your 5k!

·
Kate
21,659 Posts
It's better when the 'light-headed stupor' comes from wine! :D:D:wave::D
Ah - but the question is does a cold glass of water fix that other stupor so you can drive home? :D

My workouts back then would be one hour on the treadmill, half hour on the bike, 100 situps. And lots of cold water in between all that.

I do miss being able to work out like that. I remember going riding for those 2 hour lessons twice a week. And then the other days I'd hit the gym for a couple hours. I'd go home feeling tired but buzzed every time.

The knees and hips... it does make me conscious of what I'm doing with my dog. And nervous about putting him through agility or stuff like that. If your body doesn't have the genetics to hold up through all that, it's like rushing old age. o_O

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a reason why I DON'T run: I get side stiches and my lungs start burning after just a little jogging. I wish I enjoyed running but I don't.

Your problem is in correct breathing. Do some research into correct breathing and you will be able to enjoy running.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I started running about 7 months ago and also did the C25k program. I also love being able to attain new goals. It makes me feel really good about myself and I enjoy the extra exercise that Vito gets.

I ran my first 5k in May and then stopped running for a few months. I recently got back into it and am running another 5k next Saturday! After that I will work toward a 10k.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

There's a lot of discussion about breathing and stitches on the running forum, and usually it comes down to just slowing down. I was getting side stitches on downhills; when I slowed down, they went away. And breathing problems also go away if you slow down until you're running at a comfortable pace. The advice I'm reading is start slow, build endurance and work on speed later. So far it's working. I breathe hard on hills, and sometimes feel it for a while, but I'm building the lung capacity and speed is coming slowly.

I do have the problem of wanting to make progress too fast. I'm not a patient person, but right now I'm so determined not to hurt myself, I'm working at restraining my desire to be instantly fit.

I can't do pushups. Arthritis in my hands means that when I put pressure on them, they really hurt. A couple of years ago I was trying to build my upper body strength by doing pushups and ended up damaging my thumb joint. I was in so much pain I couldn't hold a full glass for about a month. It took six months of not doing pushups before I was pain free again. I've been doing a few lately, but I keep the number down and stop immediately if the pain in my hands comes back. My legs have always been strong, thanks to the hiking I've done, but my arms are pretty useless.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
I am not much of a runner but really want to get into it. I've noticed myself getting really easily stressed out lately and I think that some exercise would cure that. I used to run about 5 years ago but have since stopped. Any tips for a beginning runner?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I am not much of a runner but really want to get into it. I've noticed myself getting really easily stressed out lately and I think that some exercise would cure that. I used to run about 5 years ago but have since stopped. Any tips for a beginning runner?
The Couch to 5k program! Seriously. It was an AMAZING help to me. That, and not pushing too hard too fast. Don't run everyday. I'm NOT a fast runner...about 12 minutes a mile or so, but I can manage to increase my distance weekly running 3x a week.

Running really helps with my stress, especially when I run outside. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts