Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about this one. I see that a lot of folks are doing this and I'm wondering why. Oh and your feelings on rawhide bones. I think I read somewhere that people are having to take their dogs to the vets because of undigested rawhide and that it can be dangerous. What about pigs ears. I have a schnoodle to whom pigs ears are BANNED cuz he stinks up the house with all his disgusting farts afterwords.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
My dogs love antlers. Gives them a long lasting chew toy and does a great job of cleaning teeth. They gradually wear away.... we haven't had any problem with "chunks" coming off ( although some have said they have). I buy mine at pet expertise.

And yes, rawhide can be dangerous. This generation at our house has NEVER had rawhide.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I agree-antlers (NOT the brand Antlerz) are a great, long lasting chew for the dogs. I don't like rawhide as it doesn't last 5 minutes with my guys and a couple of them have a tendency to swallow rawhide without chewing-dangerous.

I also noticed that when my girl was pregnant, she really went after the antlers, whereas before pregnancy she could take them or leave them. I figured she wanted the bit of extra calcium/minerals she got that way.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Agree with all said....our lab always threw up raw hides (yes, we quit trying after a couple! :doh:) so now we only have antlers & the occasional bully stik for our golden Bear. I'm still trying to buy beef marrow bones, but no luck so far at our 3 grocery stores. I'm heading to the butcher shop close by our neighborhood today & see if they have any.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Oh yeah-bully sticks (the odorless kind) are great chews that at least last a half hour or so. Marrow bones are great too-they really help clean teeth.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
Agree with all said....our lab always threw up raw hides (yes, we quit trying after a couple! :doh:) so now we only have antlers & the occasional bully stik for our golden Bear. I'm still trying to buy beef marrow bones, but no luck so far at our 3 grocery stores. I'm heading to the butcher shop close by our neighborhood today & see if they have any.
Not sure where you live but our local Publix always has marrow bones. If you have them near you give them a try.

·
2,472 Posts
no rawhide for Pudden - she swallows it whole and barfs it up again. She gets marrow bones and she has lots of reindeer antlers she finds locally, but she gets bored with them. She prefers bones that still have meat on them :)

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Sorry to highjack your thread but does anyone know where I could by antlers in Toronto? Have been to lots of pets stores here and no one has them.
Can't order online, no cards - I like to pay cash.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Sorry to highjack your thread but does anyone know where I could by antlers in Toronto? Have been to lots of pets stores here and no one has them.
Try the Sirius folks:
http://www.siriusinvermont.com/

Antlers aren't on their website but they have a large selection and will be able to mail-order one suitable for your dog's chewing style...Give Tanya a call or email.

Erica

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I just spent $16 on one of these and he could care less. Go figure!
Try "touching" it up with sandpaper-for some reason, that seems to get them started sometimes. All of my guys like them, except for the Pug who is not a big chewer anyway. My biggest antler chewers are the 15 month old Golden and the 18 month old Chinese Crested.

And make sure it isn't one of the Antlerz brand-those are softer and tend to break off in chunks, and don't last very long.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
Try the natural pet food stores. If they don't have them they should be willing to order them for you.

·
Registered
142 Posts
thanks for the suggestion I may try this for Charlie. He always is looking for something to chew (especially in the evening for some reason). I've tried rawhide, it got stuck in his throat and I had to pull it out! I tried pork chomp shaped like rawhide and it made him vomit. Pig ears dont last long either. The marrow bones I buy at supermarkets give him diarrhea, and he has no interest what so ever in nylabones. I'm beginning to lose hope. So we will give this a try.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts