Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every pet store employee I've spoken to has always poo-pooed Purina, and tried to steer me to anything but. Obviously vets are the opposite. I recently started feeding my 9 mo old boy PPP SSS large breed puppy, and I'm excited to see him in a few months. Just curious why Purina is always under fire? Is it because they have "lesser" quality lines? The recalls?

·
Registered
28 Posts
We switched over to Purina Pro-Plan when Maddie was diagnosed with very early stage Kidney disease at the age of 10 1/2 years. I have to say the change in food made a difference in her energy level and the kidney levels went back to normal range within a couple of months. Was it the food? Could it have been an error on part of the lab testing in the beginning? I'll never know but I no longer look at Purina like I used to. Seems fine to me but some of the experienced breeders on here may chime in, and I hope they do! I'm learning so much from this site even though we've raised 3 amazing Goldens!! Always room for growth and understanding!! 🧡

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
This is one of Purina's experts. He is a little sharper than most pet store employees.
A very good friend of mine has known Dr Reynolds for many years. We get answers from the Dr. whenever there is a discussion on nutrition, supplements, etc.

Reactions: Tagrenine

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is one of Purina's experts. He is a little sharper than most pet store employees.
A very good friend of mine has known Dr Reynolds for many years. We get answers from the Dr. whenever there is a discussion on nutrition, supplements, etc.
Great videos...thank you! I agree, and never said store employees were right or wrong, just curious why it always seemed Purina was on the "no-go" list. I do appreciate all this information and value the science-based research vs. anything else.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As someone that used to work for a family-owned, small, “boutique” pet store, we had constant trainings from pet food brands such as Orijen, Petcurean, The Honest Kitchen, Stella & Chewy’s, etc. All of the trainings went on and on about how Purina and other similar brands (Royal Canin, Science Diet) have terrible ingredients that dogs don’t need, such as corn and wheat, and actually have very little meat in their formulas. They would say it’s much better for your dog to eat whole food ingredients that aren’t over processed, even better if the ingredients are “human grade.” The movie Pet Fooled was also spoken about often. I would assume that is what other pet store employees are told as well and are parroting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As someone that used to work for a family-owned, small, “boutique” pet store, we had constant trainings from pet food brands such as Orijen, Petcurean, The Honest Kitchen, Stella & Chewy’s, etc. All of the trainings went on and on about how Purina and other similar brands (Royal Canin, Science Diet) have terrible ingredients that dogs don’t need, such as corn and wheat, and actually have very little meat in their formulas. They would say it’s much better for your dog to eat whole food ingredients that aren’t over processed, even better if the ingredients are “human grade.” The movie Pet Fooled was also spoken about often. I would assume that is what other pet store employees are told as well and are parroting.
I wonder why you were educated so much on those other brands? Maybe it was a higher profit margin? I have a gripe with saying ingredients aren’t good. Purina Pro Plan uses whole meat as its first ingredient, and omits corn, soy, etc. I’m no expert, but I can put the basics together and see PPP isn’t a crummy food by any stretch.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think because Purina (nestle) is also behind some relatively cruddy brands of dog foods as well, purina as a whole gets a bad reputation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder why you were educated so much on those other brands? Maybe it was a higher profit margin? I have a gripe with saying ingredients aren’t good. Purina Pro Plan uses whole meat as its first ingredient, and omits corn, soy, etc. I’m no expert, but I can put the basics together and see PPP isn’t a crummy food by any stretch.
This store refuses to even allow the brands I mentioned be sold there. We had regular trainings from other brands simply because we didn’t sell Purina, Science Diet, or Royal Canin. The store doesn’t allow any product from any company be sold that has corn, wheat, or soy in it, and it also won’t sell any products that come from China. Purina Pro Plan is lumped together with all the other definitely more crummy versions of foods they sell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This store refuses to even allow the brands I mentioned be sold there. We had regular trainings from other brands simply because we didn’t sell Purina, Science Diet, or Royal Canin. The store doesn’t allow any product from any company be sold that has corn, wheat, or soy in it, and it also won’t sell any products that come from China. Purina Pro Plan is lumped together with all the other definitely more crummy versions of foods they sell.
I think that is part of the bias. Purina Puppy Chow? I'd rather feed my dog cardboard. But like everything, there is good, better, best, and it's up to the consumer to do what they think is right for them and their pet!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,616 Posts
Pet food stores are about driving profit first above all else. This makes the small upscale brands more advantageous for them.
Nestle Purina makes hundreds of products. Some are excellent, some are junk. All have their place. It's a sure sign somebody is blowing a lot of hot air your way when they say something stupid like Purina make inferior products. Really? All of the hundred plus products? Some of those products have to posess some merit or the company would be out of business.

Now for a few facts. Nestle Purina. Iams Eukanuba and Hills are some of the few companies that actually undertake actual feeding trials with their products. This helps them avoid problems caused by poor diet like Dialated Cardiomyopathy which has been a recent problem for a lot of dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts