Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Why does my Golden "shiz" so much?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  geonova 
#1 · (Edited)
You know what I mean -- poo.

For health reasons, our Golden is an outdoor dog -- she just turned two (we've only had her for three months). She is out of her kennel most of the day and has free roam of the yard to play and take it easy.

Our kids love to play with her and she gets a lot of attention. But when I come home from work and look around the area in the yard where she does her job, I am amazed at how much "out-put" our dog has. There must have been five good sized piles and three or four smaller ones -- although tonight was an exception -- usually there's about three large piles or so. That's a whole lot of poop to scoop up each day.:(

We don't feed her junk, just her usual 4-5 cups of dry Science Diet adult normal food for dogs her size and age. The stools are always firm so it's not like she has the runs :yuck:

I don't know about you folks, but that's a whole lot of shiz -- even for a human.

Is this normal?

#7 ·
I was told by our the trainer for our pet obedience class that it's ideal for them to go 2-3 times. Any more than that they the dog isn't getting the most from the type of food they are eating. I'm not the expert...just repeating what I was told. If you're interested I'll see if I can dig up the paper and I'll post the important parts of it.

#8 ·
It's probably the food. Science Diet has a TON of filler in it. Look at the ingredients and there's a good chance the peanut hulls is on there and probably high up on the list, too. 4-5 cups may be too much, too -- Even if that's what is says to feed on the back of the bag. I really think that dog food companies are trying to sell dog foods with the recommended feeding amounts that they post. I'd cut back to 1.5 cups twice a day and I'd switch to a different food. Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance is great, as is Canidae, Wellness, Solid Gold, etc. You'll pay a bit more per bag for the higher end kibble, but you'll find you use much less and get way less poo.

If the dog is pooing out that much, then much of what they're eating is going to waste.... literally!

-Stephanie

#12 ·
Sounds like way too much food per day. We feed our 2 goldens 1 cup each in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. Each one goes poop 1-2 times per day. The brand we use is Canidae, which is great from puppy to senior. Their coats are beautiful and both have energy to spare.

#13 ·
Innova EVO resulted in the least poo and the nicest poo to pick up for Dusty (but then he started gaining weight even though he didn't get much, and Terry started making "oink" noises at him, and he started running under jumps, and it just wasn't pretty :( )

#14 ·
Hello all, I'm new, but my dog's bowels are pretty regular. Our vet told us too that 2-3 times a day is normal. Though when we're up at my parents house, they have a big yard where he runs free, he goes quite more frequently. I think just because he can. That, and grandpa always makes a big deal out of the poop, so i think Riley does it to annoy him! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.