Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got in to the vet today they had a 30 min opening. She has a small ear infection they gave us stuff to put in her ears. Otherwise she is perfectly healthy. And the vet said maybe to do a allergy test because of her cracked paws and the bumps we told them about. Anyone have any reccomendations on one to get thats under $200?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah we switched food it isnt grain free but she is doing well on it.
The latter part is the key.
When I brought Clooney home at 10 wks he had some diarrhea. The breeder had taken him to the vet, had some meds, the vet said to mix rice with his food at about 60% rice for a while. He got better then it came back when the meds ran out. Took him to my vet, got more meds. Same process.

Cut to the chase, had him checked for allergies. He had several. What was the biggie? RICE. And with Diamond Naturals Puppy the second ingredient listed is rice. Got him on the grain-free and he’s okay.

Oh, and was lucky with the Diamond Grain-Free. Clooney is also allergic to potatoes. The dog food has sweet potatoes. Luckily they are rather different vegetables.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The latter part is the key.
When I brought Clooney home at 10 wks he had some diarrhea. The breeder had taken him to the vet, had some meds, the vet said to mix rice with his food at about 60% rice for a while. He got better then it came back when the meds ran out. Took him to my vet, got more meds. Same process.

Cut to the chase, had him checked for allergies. He had several. What was the biggie? RICE. And with Diamond Naturals Puppy the second ingredient listed is rice. Got him on the grain-free and he’s okay.

Oh, and was lucky with the Diamond Grain-Free. Clooney is also allergic to potatoes. The dog food has sweet potatoes. Luckily they are rather different vegetables.
Oh, she definitely isnt allergic to rice. She had to have hamburger and rice alot as a puppy because of diarrhea. Which was caused by her food she had from the breeder. Glad you figured out what he was allergic to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
So, we switched her food and now she is back to not eating i need dog food reccomendations under $70.
The allergy you mentioned in your initial post is what helped me find a suitable dog food. Rice was the major player but I think that. corn, salmon and potatoes that up rather high. Flour was a minor player. So I went grain-free. Diamond foods were the only economical choice here. But even then one of their grain-free foods had salmon.

Shooting in the dark with allergies can be time consuming and expensive. BUT if I were going to go withva food it would be Diamond Grain Free, All Stages Whitefish & Sweet Potatoe.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The allergy you mentioned in your initial post is what helped me find a suitable dog food. Rice was the major player but I think that. corn, salmon and potatoes that up rather high. Flour was a minor player. So I went grain-free. Diamond foods were the only economical choice here. But even then one of their grain-free foods had salmon.

Shooting in the dark with allergies can be time consuming and expensive. BUT if I were going to go withva food it would be Diamond Grain Free, All Stages Whitefish & Sweet Potatoe.
Ill have to look into that one. We were also locking at taste of the wild grain free.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ill have to look into that one. We were also locking at taste of the wild grain free.
It’s just my opinion bc this was my first experience with allergies, but without the tests it’s a hit or miss, fire in the dark process. My situation is the dog food here in Japan is expensive, I expect much more expensive than in the US. The food my vet wanted me to switch tobwas going to cost about $500 for a 1-month test and see. The allergy tests were about $800. Luckily, the breeder I got Clooney from was part of a program where I got free 100% insurance coverage for the first 30 days. The tests narrowed it down.

I really wish you luck and hope to read about your progress with a solution.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It’s just my opinion bc this was my first experience with allergies, but without the tests it’s a hit or miss, fire in the dark process. My situation is the dog food here in Japan is expensive, I expect much more expensive than in the US. The food my vet wanted me to switch tobwas going to cost about $500 for a 1-month test and see. The allergy tests were about $800. Luckily, the breeder I got Clooney from was part of a program where I got free 100% insurance coverage for the first 30 days. The tests narrowed it down.

I really wish you luck and hope to read about your progress with a solution.
The dog food here is $50 or above for decent dog food. We haven't looked into a allergy test yet, although its probably expensive. The grain free diamond naturals isnt carried at any of our local stores we would be making a 40 min trip everymonth to get it. So we are probably going to switch to taste of the wild grain free, we are going to pick up a small bag to make sure she will eat it before fully changing being $60 a bag. Thank you all again.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts