Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I probably would stick with Diamond Naturals.... I'm saying that tentatively enough because there are a lot of people who go bananas about food brands and second guessing what should or not be fed for various reasons. In golden retrievers, there's a bottleneck when it comes to kibble... and I suspect that's probably caused some of the shortages with certain brands because everyone switched over to feed 1-2 brands of food regardless of it suiting the dogs or not. Currently many of the lemmings are switching to a brand I feed now and then (Victor) and it scares the heck out of me, because that's one of my budget month favorites and I like it being available!

Diamond Naturals - I have heard people say it's garbage (and I don't know if that's with personal knowledge or echoing others, a lot of people just echo what they hear). But others in big active breeds that do not have the dog food concerns we do in our breed have fed their dogs this food successfully. So probably comes down to what they are seeing with their dogs. If you have a lot of gut issues, itchy skin, bad breath, poor coat quality.... might be the food isn't suiting the dog.

TOTW - I used to feed my guys on trips (I buy 5 pound bags for travel). The dogs weren't that crazy about the kibble and would leave 1/2 in the dish. This was all before the DCM stuff.
Okay thank you!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Can’t talk to the yeast/lethargy issues, but I feed my guy TOTW Ancient Stream. It is grain inclusive which is a good thing and it is 100% chicken and chicken byproducts free…which is also a good thing since he’s chicken intolerant. I’ve been feeding it to him for over a year with great results.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Can’t talk to the yeast/lethargy issues, but I feed my guy TOTW Ancient Stream. It is grain inclusive which is a good thing and it is 100% chicken and chicken byproducts free…which is also a good thing since he’s chicken intolerant. I’ve been feeding it to him for over a year with great results.
Yeah we will only feed out dogs diamond naturals and TOTW only 2 dog foods that put dogs ever liked.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
She needs an exam and you need to sit down and talk with the vet about what you are noticing. One of my vets from years ago had this thing he'd say about any animals brought to him.... I can't quote it word for word, but the gist was that the owner is always right. Even if a dog appears fine, if the owner feels there's something wrong - he would look into it because while there are neurotic dog owners out there (I would be one of them generally), there are people whose gut instincts are spot on when they notice their dog isn't behaving right. Or something seems off. They don't make vets like that one anymore, he was good old fashioned vet who gave his home phone number out to clients and would go to the vet any day of the week or any time if it sounded like an emergency and he did not charge extra for emergencies. That was back in the 90's when he retired. Today's vets can be all over the place, so if you feel that your vet is not very responsive even to real concerns, maybe check around for a new vet.

You say she has not been acting normal since she went into season. Could be infection somewhere or something else. If puppies, you might not know until 2 months later.... some girlies are very sneaky.

Re food - they don't have to eat puppy food ever. And even if you do feed puppy food, 11 months would be a good time to switch. Try to feed a good quality food - will help with skin and ears. No grocery store foods.

For ears, btw... I use medicated wipes for my guys and only when the ears need to be cleaned. On a very minimal basis, you could use alcohol wipes to really clean the ears out if there is a lot of brown goop in there, but it's preferred to use wipes that won't be too drying. Also in a pinch, many dog show people use baby wipes. They don't mind it the same way they mind having stuff squirted in their ears. Trimming the hair around the ear hole and thinning out the fuzzies around the ear a little can help prevent ear infections.

View attachment 896302
Im hoping its not puppies although she was never unsupervised outside or around male dogs during her heat. We were going to get her OFA certified, genetic tested and everything to see if we could breed her since she isnt AKC her dad was her mom wasnt and the breeder didnt register them. We found a place that has really good male stud dogs and we were waiting till she was 1 1/2 -2 years to breed her but now we are waiting to talk to the vet about it to.

·
Premium Member
18,691 Posts
Have you taken her temperature? Lethargic and not eating after finishing her heat cycle would make me worry she has a uterine infection, "pyometra". They can have a closed pyo and not have any discharge. You need to have her seen by a vet, if you can't get in to your primary vet go the emergency vet, especially if she's running fever.

·
Premium Member
18,691 Posts
You can't get OFA certifications until the dogs are 24 months old.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Have you taken her temperature? Lethargic and not eating after finishing her heat cycle would make me worry she has a uterine infection, "pyometra". They can have a closed pyo and not have any discharge. You need to have her seen by a vet, if you can't get in to your primary vet go the emergency vet, especially if she's running fever.
No but i can take her temp, the emergency vets are 2-3 hours away. And we are going to take her to the vet as soon as they call.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
And there is no point in talking about breeding a dog who has no papers.
We arent breeding her to try and get money out of the puppies. We actually would keep one ourselves and 3 or 4 of my relatives/friends are looking for puppies to depending on how many she had. Our neighbors lost theit golden puppy because of a birth defect and we would make sure that none of that would happen. So the reason we are breeding her is so our family can have dogs and they dont pay $2000 for them.

·
Kate
24,243 Posts
We arent breeding her to try and get money out of the puppies. We actually would keep one ourselves and 3 or 4 of my relatives/friends are looking for puppies to depending on how many she had. Our neighbors lost theit golden puppy because of a birth defect and we would make sure that none of that would happen. So the reason we are breeding her is so our family can have dogs and they dont pay $2000 for them.
You need to consider a few things...

1. You own a dog who already is a second generation of scraping the bottom of barrel. Her mom did not have papers, which either means she was not purebred or was not supposed to be bred. Your pup already has a lot in common with a shelter pet, in that if you wanted to do anything sports wise with her in AKC, you would have to spay her first to get her a conditional registration.

2. The types of "stud dog" owners who would allow their dog to produce puppies with a dog who is not registered, etc... these are people who themselves may own dogs with a number of unknowns behind them, including a variety of health and temperament concerns shuffled under the rug. And then they have no reason to be truthful and upfront with you on clearances. I guarantee that nobody upandup with a nice boy who has much to offer would agree to let him be used to make random puppies for $. Believe me.

3. Go back to the top of this thread and revisit the concerns about seeing a vet. If you decide to breed your dog, you better hope for quick and easy access to a vet, especially if you need to do a c-section to save your girly's life. But beyond that, you have various health concerns about her.... are these things that should be in a dog that you hope to breed?

^^^ The bottom line is the types of puppies you are likely to produce would be the types that you might not want to own. Nor your friends and family.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You need to consider a few things...

1. You own a dog who already is a second generation of scraping the bottom of barrel. Her mom did not have papers, which either means she was not purebred or was not supposed to be bred. Your pup already has a lot in common with a shelter pet, in that if you wanted to do anything sports wise with her in AKC, you would have to spay her first to get her a conditional registration.

2. The types of "stud dog" owners who would allow their dog to produce puppies with a dog who is not registered, etc... these are people who themselves may own dogs with a number of unknowns behind them, including a variety of health and temperament concerns shuffled under the rug. And then they have no reason to be truthful and upfront with you on clearances. I guarantee that nobody upandup with a nice boy who has much to offer would agree to let him be used to make random puppies for $. Believe me.

3. Go back to the top of this thread and revisit the concerns about seeing a vet. If you decide to breed your dog, you better hope for quick and easy access to a vet, especially if you need to do a c-section to save your girly's life. But beyond that, you have various health concerns about her.... are these things that should be in a dog that you hope to breed?

^^^ The bottom line is the types of puppies you are likely to produce would be the types that you might not want to own. Nor your friends and family.
Like i said when we got her the vet said to wait till she was 1-2 years old then we would do all the testing/certifications to breed her. And if the vet says its not a good idea to breed her then we won't. Also the vet is only busy beetween June- October they usally slow down alot during November- May. I have took a lot of time to reasearch and decide whether or not to pay all the money to test her and certify her. Thank you for all your concerns her vet appointment is sometime next week or the week after the vet is hoping.

·
Premium Member
18,691 Posts
Have you been able to get her in to see the vet yet? A 2 hour drive to an emergency vet is much better than waiting days with a possible serious infection - that could kill her.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Have you been able to get her in to see the vet yet? A 2 hour drive to an emergency vet is much better than waiting days with a possible serious infection - that could kill her.
We have appointment set up for next week. The vet said over the phone that she wants to see her but she thinks it is a ear infection and she will see what else she finds when we go in.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For the food she is on Diamond Naturals puppy food. We would switch to Diamond Naturals adult dog food or Taste of the Wild dog food.
My pup had allergies. I got him squared away with Diamond Grain-Free All-Stages. This was when he was about 5-6 months old. Additionally, the Costco dog foids are suppisedly made by Diamond. And they have the Grain-Free version.

But with foods…
Actual mileage may vary, batteries not included.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
The black spot area you show is normal on a lot of girls. You may also see it around their nipples.
Your girl has an ear infection (which is a yeast infection), you can clean her ears. But unfortunately the ear infection won't go away without vet treatment.
The cracked pads I think are allergies. Goldens can get allergies depending on the season, some dogs more than others.
Shampoo with chlorhexidene will help. You can get some from the vet. There are a variety of products your vet will have access to that will help.
If your girl is pregnant, they can x-ray at about 53-56 days to see if there are pups. If there are pups, that's whole new ballpark.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My pup had allergies. I got him squared away with Diamond Grain-Free All-Stages. This was when he was about 5-6 months old. Additionally, the Costco dog foids are suppisedly made by Diamond. And they have the Grain-Free version.

But with foods…
Actual mileage may vary, batteries not included.
Yeah we switched food it isnt grain free but she is doing well on it.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The black spot area you show is normal on a lot of girls. You may also see it around their nipples.
Your girl has an ear infection (which is a yeast infection), you can clean her ears. But unfortunately the ear infection won't go away without vet treatment.
The cracked pads I think are allergies. Goldens can get allergies depending on the season, some dogs more than others.
Shampoo with chlorhexidene will help. You can get some from the vet. There are a variety of products your vet will have access to that will help.
If your girl is pregnant, they can x-ray at about 53-56 days to see if there are pups. If there are pups, that's whole new ballpark.
Ok thank you! We took her in to get her nails trimmed at a groomer and they said we need to clean her ears well and if it doesnt go away take her to the vet. And her cracked paws are healing the allergies started at the beginning of August and now she isnt showing any signs of allergies. I don't know how she would be pregnant she ended her heat cylce on July 25, so it would be exactly 2 months here soon. And we made sure to keep her away from males. Thank you again for all your help and i will update on her ears.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts