Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, im new to the forum. But my golden has been having some problems. Denver is 11 months old. She went into heat in July. Ever since then she doesn't eat her food like normal. Until a few weeks ago she started eating more. She also seems to have alot less energy she gets tired on a small 15 minute walk when she was used to 30 minute walks before she went into heat. She also had black dirt like spots on her stomach near her private area. She also got bumps on her chest that we know are from a allergy. And recently her ears have started getting brown wax on the inside. Anybody experience any of this before?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I’d find a new vet. Lots of vets are busy, but they have openings for sick dogs to be seen daily. It could be an infection. (Yeast or bacterial) even if it’s an allergy I would get a cytopoint injection to help her be comfortable. If it’s an allergy did you isolate the allergy?

·
Kate
24,290 Posts
To give you an idea... I was at a dog show last week and prepping my younger dog for showing. He needed a full bath and blow dry - because this was a very big show, even though he'd had a bath/dry a couple days prior. While drying him, I discovered that he had some kind of allergic reaction or rash going on with his back. He had little red spots all over his back, more on the side he typically lays on. So it could have been a contact allergy. It could have been a bug bite that went nuts.

I was set up right next to a veterinarian who was there showing her own dogs and hauled her over to take a look at the rash. She was not concerned and advised not treating or worrying about it unless he scratched at it or it didn't go away.

I went home and called my vet to set up an appointment for the end of this week, on the basis that if it did not go away, I wanted it looked at by a vet. A week's period was going to be enough to tell if this was just an allergic reaction (hives if you will), or a skin infection. I could have had him looked at the next day at my vet had I preferred. Vet agreed with giving it a week and they were happy that he had a full bath and dry, on the basis that if he had rolled or come in contact with an irritant, that it was washed off.

About a day later, I checked his back and there were no signs of the rash. His skin was completely clear. So I cancelled my appointment. Had I gone to the vet, it would have been about $45 for the appointment and then if the vet didn't find anything or simply gave me a treatment plan, etc.... we'd go from there.

^^^ I'm not trying to come to be rude, but trying to give you an idea how I would handle just one of the things you described.

Going through my head, I would question if your dog is pregnant. Or having a false pregnancy. Or has a UTI. Or has an ear infection. Cracked feet on such a young dog is odd/unusual as well - especially since it's not winter anywhere. Winter can dry out feet on some dogs, so it might be more understandable from that perspective. If she has cracked feet - then why? And then are they infected, etc.

I would suggest bringing her in to the vet to get checked out.... but don't let symptoms pile up like that without reaching out to your vet.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Ask your vet if they have urgent care appointments. My vet always saves time every day for urgent care appointments. You have to call very early the day of to get one.

·
Registered
Billie
223 Posts
If you cant get into vet for a little, I would at least start cleaning her ears. I'm sure if you called the vet and asked them to give you an ear cleaning solution in the mean time they would be willing to do this. My Billie had an ear infection and the vet told me the brownish stuff in her ears was yeast. Now we clean her ears often but whenever I need more solution I just call and they have it ready for me. I did this with my dog who has passed as well. If they wont give you a solution from the vet they might be able to recommend one you can find at pet store.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To give you an idea... I was at a dog show last week and prepping my younger dog for showing. He needed a full bath and blow dry - because this was a very big show, even though he'd had a bath/dry a couple days prior. While drying him, I discovered that he had some kind of allergic reaction or rash going on with his back. He had little red spots all over his back, more on the side he typically lays on. So it could have been a contact allergy. It could have been a bug bite that went nuts.

I was set up right next to a veterinarian who was there showing her own dogs and hauled her over to take a look at the rash. She was not concerned and advised not treating or worrying about it unless he scratched at it or it didn't go away.

I went home and called my vet to set up an appointment for the end of this week, on the basis that if it did not go away, I wanted it looked at by a vet. A week's period was going to be enough to tell if this was just an allergic reaction (hives if you will), or a skin infection. I could have had him looked at the next day at my vet had I preferred. Vet agreed with giving it a week and they were happy that he had a full bath and dry, on the basis that if he had rolled or come in contact with an irritant, that it was washed off.

About a day later, I checked his back and there were no signs of the rash. His skin was completely clear. So I cancelled my appointment. Had I gone to the vet, it would have been about $45 for the appointment and then if the vet didn't find anything or simply gave me a treatment plan, etc.... we'd go from there.

^^^ I'm not trying to come to be rude, but trying to give you an idea how I would handle just one of the things you described.

Going through my head, I would question if your dog is pregnant. Or having a false pregnancy. Or has a UTI. Or has an ear infection. Cracked feet on such a young dog is odd/unusual as well - especially since it's not winter anywhere. Winter can dry out feet on some dogs, so it might be more understandable from that perspective. If she has cracked feet - then why? And then are they infected, etc.

I would suggest bringing her in to the vet to get checked out.... but don't let symptoms pile up like that without reaching out to your vet.
She has been out of heat since the beginning of August so she isnt pregnant. And we have contacted the vet multiple times. We even took her in there when we went to get her flea and tick and they said she seemed healthy. And she has had multiple ear infections before so the vet gave us a solution already and i have put it in her ears she doesnt like it though. Especially when this is her 3 ear infection since we got her.

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you cant get into vet for a little, I would at least start cleaning her ears. I'm sure if you called the vet and asked them to give you an ear cleaning solution in the mean time they would be willing to do this. My Billie had an ear infection and the vet told me the brownish stuff in her ears was yeast. Now we clean her ears often but whenever I need more solution I just call and they have it ready for me. I did this with my dog who has passed as well. If they wont give you a solution from the vet they might be able to recommend one you can find at pet store.
They reccomend one to us and we bought it and have used it multiple times.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Please keep an eye out for any discharge from her privates no matter how slight. Our girl had a Pyometra following her first heat and we came scary close to losing her. She too was lethargic for weeks post heat, reduced appetite over time. Her area between her ribs and privates became very sensitive to touch at the end before emergency surgery. They could see the enlarged uterus on ultrasound.
Best of luck

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please keep an eye out for any discharge from her privates no matter how slight. Our girl had a Pyometra following her first heat and we came scary close to losing her. She too was lethargic for weeks post heat, reduced appetite over time. Her area between her ribs and privates became very sensitive to touch at the end before emergency surgery. They could see the enlarged uterus on ultrasound.
Best of luck
She doesnt have any dishcharge there that i have seen but she is tired alot. And another quick question when do you switch to adult food?

·
Kate
24,290 Posts
She has been out of heat since the beginning of August so she isnt pregnant. And we have contacted the vet multiple times. We even took her in there when we went to get her flea and tick and they said she seemed healthy. And she has had multiple ear infections before so the vet gave us a solution already and i have put it in her ears she doesnt like it though. Especially when this is her 3 ear infection since we got her.
She needs an exam and you need to sit down and talk with the vet about what you are noticing. One of my vets from years ago had this thing he'd say about any animals brought to him.... I can't quote it word for word, but the gist was that the owner is always right. Even if a dog appears fine, if the owner feels there's something wrong - he would look into it because while there are neurotic dog owners out there (I would be one of them generally), there are people whose gut instincts are spot on when they notice their dog isn't behaving right. Or something seems off. They don't make vets like that one anymore, he was good old fashioned vet who gave his home phone number out to clients and would go to the vet any day of the week or any time if it sounded like an emergency and he did not charge extra for emergencies. That was back in the 90's when he retired. Today's vets can be all over the place, so if you feel that your vet is not very responsive even to real concerns, maybe check around for a new vet.

You say she has not been acting normal since she went into season. Could be infection somewhere or something else. If puppies, you might not know until 2 months later.... some girlies are very sneaky.

Re food - they don't have to eat puppy food ever. And even if you do feed puppy food, 11 months would be a good time to switch. Try to feed a good quality food - will help with skin and ears. No grocery store foods.

For ears, btw... I use medicated wipes for my guys and only when the ears need to be cleaned. On a very minimal basis, you could use alcohol wipes to really clean the ears out if there is a lot of brown goop in there, but it's preferred to use wipes that won't be too drying. Also in a pinch, many dog show people use baby wipes. They don't mind it the same way they mind having stuff squirted in their ears. Trimming the hair around the ear hole and thinning out the fuzzies around the ear a little can help prevent ear infections.

Liquid Water Automotive tire Fluid Gas

·
Registered
Golden Retriever
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She needs an exam and you need to sit down and talk with the vet about what you are noticing. One of my vets from years ago had this thing he'd say about any animals brought to him.... I can't quote it word for word, but the gist was that the owner is always right. Even if a dog appears fine, if the owner feels there's something wrong - he would look into it because while there are neurotic dog owners out there (I would be one of them generally), there are people whose gut instincts are spot on when they notice their dog isn't behaving right. Or something seems off. They don't make vets like that one anymore, he was good old fashioned vet who gave his home phone number out to clients and would go to the vet any day of the week or any time if it sounded like an emergency and he did not charge extra for emergencies. That was back in the 90's when he retired. Today's vets can be all over the place, so if you feel that your vet is not very responsive even to real concerns, maybe check around for a new vet.

You say she has not been acting normal since she went into season. Could be infection somewhere or something else. If puppies, you might not know until 2 months later.... some girlies are very sneaky.

Re food - they don't have to eat puppy food ever. And even if you do feed puppy food, 11 months would be a good time to switch. Try to feed a good quality food - will help with skin and ears. No grocery store foods.

For ears, btw... I use medicated wipes for my guys and only when the ears need to be cleaned. On a very minimal basis, you could use alcohol wipes to really clean the ears out if there is a lot of brown goop in there, but it's preferred to use wipes that won't be too drying. Also in a pinch, many dog show people use baby wipes. They don't mind it the same way they mind having stuff squirted in their ears. Trimming the hair around the ear hole and thinning out the fuzzies around the ear a little can help prevent ear infections.

View attachment 896302
I know we just gotta wait to talk to the vet. I have a family member who is a vet tech and one is a chiropractic animal person i may ask them to. Im almost thinking she may have a yeast infection in the post someone said that her dog always got brown stuff in her goldens ear when they had a yeast infection. For the food she is on Diamond Naturals puppy food. We would switch to Diamond Naturals adult dog food or Taste of the Wild dog food. The only 2 that i will feed my dog thats in my price range. I will also look into those wipes. I have a liquid and she hates it but will let me check her ears and wipe out the stuff. Thank you!

·
Kate
24,290 Posts
I probably would stick with Diamond Naturals.... I'm saying that tentatively enough because there are a lot of people who go bananas about food brands and second guessing what should or not be fed for various reasons. In golden retrievers, there's a bottleneck when it comes to kibble... and I suspect that's probably caused some of the shortages with certain brands because everyone switched over to feed 1-2 brands of food regardless of it suiting the dogs or not. Currently many of the lemmings are switching to a brand I feed now and then (Victor) and it scares the heck out of me, because that's one of my budget month favorites and I like it being available!

Diamond Naturals - I have heard people say it's garbage (and I don't know if that's with personal knowledge or echoing others, a lot of people just echo what they hear). But others in big active breeds that do not have the dog food concerns we do in our breed have fed their dogs this food successfully. So probably comes down to what they are seeing with their dogs. If you have a lot of gut issues, itchy skin, bad breath, poor coat quality.... might be the food isn't suiting the dog.

TOTW - I used to feed my guys on trips (I buy 5 pound bags for travel). The dogs weren't that crazy about the kibble and would leave 1/2 in the dish. This was all before the DCM stuff.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts