Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a rant, just in case you couldn't tell :D

I have 2 days off work and it is snowing! The dogs are happy and racing into the garden every few minutes to have some zoomie fun! My mum and me took them for a walk this afternoon and they had even bigger zoomies in the snowy fields.

Walking back past a main road there is a row of cottages and a family, mum,dad and two girls, were standing in the front garden with two border collies. I thought nothing of it and walked past when one of the collies leapt the wall and ran up to us snarling. Before I could react he grabbed Diesel on the side of his neck! Without thinking I went to kick the dog away when it let go and ran up to my mum and tried to get Willow. Diesel starts barking and I look to see the dog's owners just standing there!

I yell at them and the man comes over and drags the collie away after my mum pushed Willow against a hedge and stood in front of her so the blasted dog couldn't hurt her.

I checked Diesel's neck but luckily he is so fluffy the collie got nothing but fur. Diesel is still barking like mad and I just wanted to get my dogs away and it wasn't until I was down the road that I realised none of them said sorry or checked that their dog hadn't hurt mine.

I know that Diesel will hate walking past their house now because he never forgets anything.

Stupid people.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Some people just shouldn't be dog owners.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That does sound very frustrating. I hope these people find a way to contain their dog. It sounds like Willow and Diesel behaved very well under the circumstances.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I am so sorry this had to happen to you and on such a great day too. It sounds just lovely over there right now any chance we might get to see some pics?? hint, hint

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It never fails to amaze me how many people ignore their dogs' aggressive behaviour. I see it all the time. I think a lot of the time they are making excuses for their own shortcomings. Where I live there are a lot of Border Collies and they account for 90% of the aggression between dogs. There is no excuse for an owner not having control whether or not they are standing in their own front garden!!

I think that first collie was lucky not to get your boot up it's backside!! If this kind of thing happens, I usually find a loud growly "NO!" and a body block does the trick. If the dog had hold of mine's neck then I'm afraid I would have put the boot in....

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Some people just shouldn't be dog owners.
======================================================

Youre right. They should be plants.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would report it to animal control, if the dog jumped the wall to go after your dogs... likely he'll do the same thing again and cause more trouble. You may also want to make a point of walking past the same house again soon, but have good treats for your dogs and a big stick for loose dogs. That way your crew doesn't have to worry about that house (hoping that next time it doesn't happen....).

Lana

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I'm glad your Diesel is all right! Luckily for the collie, your dog is well behaved! Because he could have seriously hurt him! :uhoh:
*sigh* It must've been really frustrating! I agree with Doodle, Some people just shouldn't be dog owners. :no:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
The owners letting a Border Collie pester a GSD ain't too swift. GSD's are wonderful dogs, but they WILL defend themselves and their humans vigorously. That's one of the things I love about them.

This is a rant, just in case you couldn't tell :D

I have 2 days off work and it is snowing! The dogs are happy and racing into the garden every few minutes to have some zoomie fun! My mum and me took them for a walk this afternoon and they had even bigger zoomies in the snowy fields.

Walking back past a main road there is a row of cottages and a family, mum,dad and two girls, were standing in the front garden with two border collies. I thought nothing of it and walked past when one of the collies leapt the wall and ran up to us snarling. Before I could react he grabbed Diesel on the side of his neck! Without thinking I went to kick the dog away when it let go and ran up to my mum and tried to get Willow. Diesel starts barking and I look to see the dog's owners just standing there!

I yell at them and the man comes over and drags the collie away after my mum pushed Willow against a hedge and stood in front of her so the blasted dog couldn't hurt her.

I checked Diesel's neck but luckily he is so fluffy the collie got nothing but fur. Diesel is still barking like mad and I just wanted to get my dogs away and it wasn't until I was down the road that I realised none of them said sorry or checked that their dog hadn't hurt mine.

I know that Diesel will hate walking past their house now because he never forgets anything.

Stupid people.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I'd suggest a three iron...but use it on the owners!!!!

Pete

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I have had this happen twice when I was walking Brooks. Both times the owners were nearby and saw their dogs attack Brooks and both times I had to kick the dog away as it kept trying to attack. Very scary.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well I'm glad everyone is ok. I probably would have walked back to their door and told them exactly how I felt about the situation.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Glad to hear your dogs are ok, but what stupid owners i can't believe they didn't say sorry when cleary it was there fault. They shouldn't own dogs at all,any animal for that matter. My Einstein has been attacked a few times the first dog wouldn't give up even after being kicked 4 times in the head, It only gave up when the owner came runing yelling. The second attack ended quickly as when i yelled the other dog backed off, Both dogs were golden retrievers. Cause of this Einstein is wary of meeting new dogs.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how clueless people can be. It says alot about you that Willow and Diesel showed such good manners. My family has owned GS and I do know how protective they can be. Then again when you read the story about Angel the same can be said for Goldens when they feel their people are threatened.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I had the same thing happen to us. I was walking Bobby & Dylan (nice Spring day)
and a neighbors dog jumped over their porch fence and went for Me, Bobby nailed the dog by its throat until the neighbor leached it. They did apologize, but soon after the same thing happened to a small child in our neighborhood. The owners PTS their dog, they couldn't take anymore chances.
By the way Dylan was hiding behind me during the attack!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi am so glad Diesel is ok,i dont believe in hurting any animal but saying that NOTHING AND NOBODY would hurt my Molly and i would do everything in my power to stop it.I agree some people are not fit to have dogs and just look at what example there showing their children :no:

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Glad to hear that Diesel is ok, but I can just imagine the uproar had he really fought back and defended himself, as he had every right to do. It's probable that the dogs have done this before and the owners just accept it now. I agree with Tanya, if a dog attacked one of mine it would have a size 7 placed very carefully up it's rump (that's the polite version).

Hope Willow and Diesel enjoyed there walk apart from that

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went past their house again today and heard the dogs barking at the gate. Diesel pulled away slightly but was ok when we went past. I was expecting more ofa fuss from him as he is such a big wuss but I think he was too excited about the snow!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts