Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time owning a Retriever and it has been a blast!! She retrieves everything in sight and is currently learning how to put them back in its place. She is the gentlest, calmest, most loving dog!! Even when she has something she knows she shouldn't she comes and shows me she has it and has a look on her face that says, "Sorry I just can't help myself so here you go - take it". :)

I have a question though about why does she put her paws up on my arms when I'm petting her? I wasn't sure if it's a sign of dominance or she just likes sitting up on her back legs. I've noticed a friend's retriever does it as well and wasn't sure if it's just a breed thing or something I should discourage?

Thanks!!!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sorry I don't have an answer for you but my Caue like to have a paw on me at all times. Oakly just likes to be touching me in some way. I've always assumed it was because they want to know if I move.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We always joke that ours is petting us back. Not sure what the real answer is.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Our Chester retrieves everything too. He does drop it now but I don't think we can get him to put the rug back by the front door or the pillow back on the couch. Most of the time I think he does just because he wants to play. Usually I use his pesky play as a small training session...maybe a sit stay or down stay while I put whatever he takes back where it belongs. Chester has that face too "sorry Mom" face.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My friends Aussie Shepard does the same thing to her. He's started to do it to me as well as I'm there a lot. We just think it's an "affection" thing. As he never USED to do it until he knew me much better. But then I use him for a pillow. He gets on the sofa, I put my pillow on him, he's the perfect height for my neck. Then at some point, after a nap maybe, I'll sit up, he'll turn and put his paw on my arm or leg. So we just feel that he's a touchy-feely dog.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Porter (RIP) used to do this too. I always wondered why because I never noticed other people's dogs doing this. He like to be touching at all time too, so I always took this as his way of being close to me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
layla does the same thing. she goes around the house picking up her toys when i'm asleep and insists upon jumping into bed and dropping them on my head. :doh:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Scout does the same thing with collecting, but stands in front of you with puffed face (even if the item is so small it won't puff his face out) and looks at me with the "i don't have anything in my mouth" face followed by a "do I"

Noah likes to show and stand just out of reach and run.

Scout likes to (currently) put half his body in my lap. I think they are making sure your not moving while they are enjoying it. Noah leans.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I think it's just giving back some affection. Although, Our Penny will move slightly as we pet her directing, I think, where she wants to be scratched. He may be doing it so you can pet his chest. Or it may be a way to getting close to you so you can reach him better. Definitely not a dominance thing. Personally, I would not want to discourage it. I think it's cute.

Penny has a habit of 'swiping' me with her paw. Everytime time I sit down (yes, even in 'there' :doh:) I get swiped with a paw on my thigh as if to say "HEY you're just sitting there, PET me". I think that's cute too.

·
Owned by Buddy and Lady
86 Posts
Lady does this, I always thought is was "not there, pet me on my chest" as she does then when we are petting her neck or her side. Buddy doesn't do this cause he doesn't care where you pet him as long as you are petting him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts