Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sitting here crying because our jerk of a landlord was just in the front yard yelling at my dad who is a 71 year old dialysis patient about how he wants a tiny bit of money we owe him and I just feel like I can't take it anymore. We have paid him on time every single month for the five years we have lived here except for the month that my dad got sick and we needed to buy him 400.00 worth of medicine when he got out of the hospital. We have been giving him extra to try and pay him off, but i think he has money problems and he's taking that out on us. I swear when i saw him treating my dad like that I wanted to rip his head off. We have been saving up to move to Maine and we are so close but I had to pay more medical bills and now we are about 700.00 short of what we need to move. My dad got a job offer in Maine and that makes me want to get there so bad because then things would be so much easier. I just feel so helpless and wish I could do something to get us out of this horrible situation. My Dad doesn't deserve this. We took care of my mom while she slowly died of cancer for four years and did everything so she could die at home like she wanted. After she died we lost our business and our house. He got sick a year ago and went to the hospital in kidney failure and he is doing so well with his health now that I'm scared he will get sick again if he has to keep dealing with this. I feel like a faliure because I can't fix everything. I love him so much. He is all I have and this is breaking my heart. I'm sorry this is so long but I'm just having a very hard time. Why can't something good happen for a change?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I'm so sorry. No one deserves to be treated like that. I don't know what's the matter with people today. Cherish your dad and give him the love and support he deserves. I will be praying that things ease up for you all.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened. I know I would probably need to be held back if I heard someone talking to my parents like that.

What part of Maine are you moving to? That's where we live. Maybe we'll be neighbors. :bowl:

Reactions: DaisyGolden

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so sorry that happened. I know I would probably need to be held back if I heard someone talking to my parents like that.

What part of Maine are you moving to? That's where we live. Maybe we'll be neighbors. :bowl:

We were hoping to move to Bath or near there because there is a good dialysis place in Bath and a woman my Dad talked to offered him a job in her store there.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Hope your plans to move to Maine work out. It seems like all businesses are clamping down on late payments. I've noticed several local businesses that used to let things slide now fire out disconnection notices the day after a bill is due. I'm at the North end of the Maine coast.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
DaisyGolden, I am so sorry you have a such hard time. I will pray for you and your family. Don't know the answer on your question but believe me it has to change for better. Stay strong, you dad needs you.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
That was horrible that the landlord yelled at your father. Where is human decency and compassion? His own money problems are probably making him stressed, but it is not an excuse.
My daughter rents a basement apartment of a man's house. She came home after work and the landlord had so many visiting relatives parked in the driveway, there was no room for her car (no street parking allowed) so she just went to stay with a friend. The next day was the day the rent was due. She went straight to work from the friends the next day and went back to stay that night with the friend because the landlord had all those people staying over again. The landlord called her the next morning, demanding where his rent was. Sheesh.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Aw, I'm so sorry things have been so crappy. I don't have much to offer but support and sympathy...I can't believe your douchey landlord yelled at your dad! Hope things pick up for you soon.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened to your father and you. I'm sending you prayers and good thoughts that things will work out for your family. My heart hurts to read about people treating elderly people like that. It's not right.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
I am very sorry, that this jerk is treatingyour dad this way, people can be hard hearted, just a warning about maine, i live in eliot, in southern maine, rent is expensive, fuel ,if you heat with oil, is expensive.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
My heart aches for you. It must be so difficult to deal with your dad's situation, especially while you're still mourning your mom. Seeing someone we love deal with pain can be harder than handling our own challenges.

When things go badly, as they certainly have for you and your dad, it is difficult to lose sight of the good things that do happen. For example, despite a terrible economy in which older men are having an especially hard time finding jobs, you dad has been offered a job. That's a pretty wonderful occurrence!

I think most of us tend to focus on what is wrong, instead of celebrating what is right. Then we feel overwhelmed by the bad stuff. Trying to change that for myself, I find it helps to write down the things that happen that make me happy or that go my way. Sometimes that's a simple as enjoying a sunny day, the sight of deer on the lawn, or the taste of a favorite food. The more I pay attention to what is good, the more of there seems to be!

I hope your landlord finds some compassion and that you and your dad can make the move to a place that's happier for you. Maybe there are some social service programs that could help? Your father's dialysis requirement probably qualifies as a disability and there are government agencies that can help with medical expenses, among other things.

Hoping this go better for you and your dad soon,
Lucy

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened -- sending wishes for better times ahead.

I don't know if it is something that you would be interested in but there are places to ask for help Home - Modest Needs® helps people with unexpected emergency situations -- like when your father needed extra medication or Wish Upon a Hero and I'm sure there are others.

Good luck with your move to Maine

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You are in my thoughts and prayers for a smooth transition to moving to Maine. Hope you find a kind landlord and make many golden friends. You might even end up living near a forum member. That would be nice!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Your Dad

I am so very sorry that the Landlord has treated your Dad so unkindly-I do believe in the saying, What goes around comes around!

Just keep loving your Dad, and listening to him and that will be worth more than anything to him. Praying your move to Maine will be filled with wonderful things and kind people.

I agree with everyone else, I'm sure there are social services that would be able to help, example: Food Pantry.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for your kind words. It makes me feel better to know that people care enough to say them. Just so everyone knows we can afford food and everything. My Dad makes just enough retirement money that he doesn't qualify for social services. You can only make like 15,000 a year to get help like that. I know that Maine can be exspensive but where we live now we are about 30 miles from his dialysis center and that means we pay at least 200.00 a month for gas just to get him there. That's why we are going to rent a place thats really close to his dialysis center. Also the fact the he will have a part time job there will help a lot. I have also been working very hard to pay off any debt we have and now we have no credit card debt and the car is paid off. I do have to pay quite a few medical bills but I'm working on getting rid of those too. I'm going to get everything together and fix it all. I just have to take it one step at a time. It just made me so mad that someone thinks it's ok to yell at a person like that. We aren't even a whole rent payment behind. I think he thought he could scare my Dad or something. My Dad was in the military and doesn't scare easily. I'm so proud of my Dad. You would never know he was 71 and on dialysis. This summer he put up a wood fence and planted a garden himself. I'm always telling him not to wear himself out but he always say "no, I can do it". There is one good thing that has happened. Our neighbor is doing about 700.00 worth of work on our car for just the cost of the parts. I'm feeling a little better about everything today and I do have more hope that things will change for the better. Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts