Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling this way....Update..they did just fine while I was gone, about 3 hours..I put them in the garage with some toys and their water bowl..when I came home I just opened the door of the garage and never spoke or got excited...but boy did they get excited!!! they almost knocked me over, but calmed down within seconds and just went about doing their own thing.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My gosh, I have to get a life..LOL..I am so taken up with these 2 Goldens!
I am the same way, I hate not being with my dogs. :)

I think it is important thought that they learn to be home alone. I worked full-time when I first got them (with a sitter coming in) Darby was 2 and Kirby 1 when I quit. Since then I am home most of the time and they got used to that fast. Now DH is part time so when I do work part time or occasionally a full day they are comfortable with that and they have Daddy around for part of the day too. They do sleep when I am gone.

Claire's Mom nailed it though - I also struggle with separation anxiety!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, I agree that it is important that they learn to be home alone, and as I look through the window and see them now on the lawn chasing each other I see that they are fine without me and are having a blast. I have always worked full time and didn't feel I was ready for a dog..but thought I'd get one when I "retired"...fast forward...we moved from where we were living 4 yrs ago and now live at our previous "summer home", it is in a rural area with no neighbors, my husband works and I stay at home with the pooches, which is fine for the time being, but I know I want to return to the work force and we have been trying to sell our place and move closer to a city but so far no luck. So, long story short...eventually the "boys" will have to get used to spending time alone when I return to work, as I am too young to retire yet..LOL.. or I may end up taking them to daycare..but for right now I can't imagine life without them 24/7.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts