Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts
As a child growing up with dogs, we NEVER had a male dog and the reason being that males run away from home all the time, they hump kids and they are more aggressive.

As an adult, I've had goldens for over 30 years & females up until 3 1/2 years ago when we brought Oliver home. Was I looking for a boy - not necessarily but I fell in love with him @ 5 1/2 weeks old.

I'm addicted to the boys - they're more loving, they're more eager to work, they're excellent with kids (try to keep them away from kids;)), and, personally, I think that the males are much more attractive than the females (MY thoughts only!). I also find that the males don't hold a grudge like the females do if they don't get their own way - Riley will lie on the floor with a Hmmmmf and turn her face away from you whereas the boys will put their head on your lap as if to say "Pllease, please, please...".

My guys DON'T hump but Riley, the spayed female, does. She's the one who tries to start the outdoor congo line! Nyg has also been exposed to females in season while doing a day training course & he was fine - confused but controllable & worked well.

I've also never had problems with any of my boys lifting their legs in the house or lifting their legs every 2 feet when we're out on a walk - I let them know that it's not acceptable behaviour in the same way that other behaviour is not acceptable.

The only negative about males is the curious questioning by children when the boys roll over & "expose" themselves - "What's that?????" Back to sex ed 101!

All of my intact males are very easily trained, and while loopy when there are girls in season, they are still easy to live with and work well when asked. In fact, DOING stuff with them when the girls ARE in season is helpful and gives them something else to focus on. NONE of them have ever wanted to "hump everything".
I SO agree PG! while Boston is about out of his mind today! as there are 2 girls in standing heat! He would and does obey me to the nines! He is loving, quiet, focused and so endearing!!! most days. I say this in the midst of my "I'm gonna kill him" mindset!!!! :eek: He never humps people or things in the house. Only what I allow him to hump;)!!!

My one Female Golden was a humper AND she was altered. Not sure what that tells us LOL

I didn't mean that literally. Intact boys do hump though, heck altered boys still hump. My neighbors dog won't stop humping my girl and he's been fixed for seven years. Yes, I agree you can train them not too but again it's a lot of extra training. My friends dog is trained very well in obedience, he was just harder to train for my friends than their girl was. Also, his hyperness was just something they had to deal with by giving him lots of extra exercise. For them the male was harder all around and I wonder if he would not have been so difficult if they would have fixed him.

I used to get that right, and fast, all the time. Until someone told me you're not supposed to pull off the little colored stickers and move them onto different sides....

They usually do well until I pull out the Rubik's Cube.

In my limited experience girls are definitely more independent...Tilly could be described as aloof at times...which I don't, for one minute, think is a normal golden characteristic...her early upbringing certainly didn't help her independent streak and I think damaged her ability to bond with us fully. She definitely wants affection on her terms. My male (not a golden) is the soppiest little boy you could imagine...he needs me in a way that Tilly doesn't.

All my males have been easily trained and eager to please me both before and after they were neutered.(After age 1)

When we are talking males are more loving ,we are talking GOLDENS, not other breeds.
I have had male dogs of other breeds as a child but since having male and female goldens, the boys are it for us.

And we have two, Selka prefers me by far, Gunner loves both Mom and Dad equally.

Good Luck with your puppy! Can't wait for pics!

in our house, my DH has the girl(s), me the guy(s) - - it makes it easier when it comes to spaying. He has the "guy thing" about getting a male fixed, girls he has no problem; me - get everyone "fixed" (had a couple stray cats that got"fixed" 2x).

prefer female labs cuz they will be smaller, but I've always bonded closed with the males

Isn't it funny? I'm a love me love me love me kind of gal too.... just ask my hubster.

Actually, Sophie is sooo calm, she rarely acts like a puppy. She's an old soul in a young body. She learns quickly, and is always looking in people's eyes to see what we might ask of her next. I have absolutely no experience with male dogs, so I can't compare. I suspect that she's the "loveme loveme loveme" type as well, but since we've always had a cat, it's not any different (except the fact that she's willing to show her appreciation of the love we lavish on her) and we're extremely willing to oblige :D

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.