Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feeling a bit fed up...had some major surgery last year and the recovery hasnt been good. :doh: On top of this I have other health issues which mean I'm not as strong as I shoukd be. :doh: I love my boy so much but everyone has to walk him as I cant...and I miss that so much. :( But I get to spend a lot of fun time with him now I home all day and hes not so clingy to his Dad now. ;) I would LOVE another pup and I am so sure it would be the making of him..he would love the companionship and having something to care for and share with. But in my position I am not really able to ask, its a lot of extra work for my other half and until now it was ok, I could quell my yearning. BUT...I have just discovered that theres three boys from a litter born Dec available out of a bitch I would love to have a puppy from :D ...the same line as my last G R and she was amazing. :smooch: And the father has some of the same grandparents etc as Chester. The perfect combination pup I have wanted. He should have my name on...shouldnt he :confused:
Why did I have to have this stupid condition :confused: I really need this pup! :smooch:

·
Premium Member
18,413 Posts
I know how frustrating it is when physical limitations prevent you from doing what you want. I hope your recovery is better in the new year.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Only you and your signicant other know how much you are capable of taking on. I would have a discussion with each other and possibly your doctors and see if this could help you heal or hurt you.

Personally, I have found that two dogs is no more work than one, but dealing with a puppy will be more work.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Elly, you have an amazing family and as you know, with what you've been through only you guys know truly how much you could cope with. Talk to OH and your chicklings and what is meant to be will be. Hugs from us:wave:

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Time to have a sit down with your husband, face to face and really talk about this. I bought a second horse when I was really in pretty bad shape physically and my first horse was on a downward spiral, health wise.

He was never opposed to it but wondered if it was the sensible thing to do. I just knew I couldn't live without being as active as possible with a horse. And I knew I would need lots of help, hands on help. He agreed.

Since then I've bought yet another horse and he's very hands on helping with that one too. And he realizes that much of my health and working to improve my health is inspired by my horses.

You may be wonderfully surprised that your husband is more than willing to be a part of this new pup's life and assist with training and daily chores.

·
goldenfan
695 Posts
Elly, If you really feel that a puppy is what you need and you can cope then go for it. Sometimes a puppy is meant to be and your family sound amazing. I have bought or kept puppies that I hadn't planned to have and they always seem to work out. Annef

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone, its really helpful sometimes to just write your feelings down and then a bigger help to find people have responded with such kindness and wisdom and experience. I have had some really bad health issues even since writing that post which has led to no sleep apart from three hours in over sixty hours..in fact the post may have been written at the start of one of the sleepless times and having done some more research into my last girls line I am now wondering if I was just very lucky with her health with her Dad and want to dig a bit deeper now. I have major puppy fever but really maybe I am just asking a bit too much of everyone to take on such a big task when we havent stopped for breath yet since my surgery. My way isnt to stop for breath...but now I am on the dependant side of the fence..I have to realise my way isnt always the only way anymore :( I have an MRI booked for Feb and until that gives us better news, maybe I need to keep our options clear and just dream for now :(

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Maybe a call to your local kennel club could get you connected to someone with a puppy to fill your puppy fix without necessarily having to get a puppy?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had minor surgery recently. I can't walk Butter for five more weeks. :(

Aww its hard isnt it. Mine was in July and I havent been able to walk Chester since and not sure if and when I will again, I miss that sooo much but we have great fun with training and games at home and we have become a lot closer for it too as he used to be closer to his Dad...so theres a plus side to everything I guess.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Aww its hard isnt it. Mine was in July and I havent been able to walk Chester since and not sure if and when I will again, I miss that sooo much but we have great fun with training and games at home and we have become a lot closer for it too as he used to be closer to his Dad...so theres a plus side to everything I guess.
Yeah....he was getting pretty antsy. He likes being outside, but he enjoys his walks. I got the green light to walk Butter this past Friday. The only caveat being that I have to walk him....I can't let him walk me. lol.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Elly, remember our breed is considered the highest for trainability for any disability. There is a family in my church who has Coopers brother. The lady was hurt in a car accident, broke her back and it is not clear if she will be able to walk unaided again. From the time Laker came home with them they taught him to pick up things and take to her. He has learned names for things and knows them well. He stands still and she uses him to steady her. He seems to naturally know to settle when with her and she WALKS him down the small driveway and back on the days she is able. Laker is a normal 6 mo old, but on the calm side (as is my Coop). These are not trainers, Laker has had no formal training, just day to day care and his life is a training in progress as is her new life. They are so close and I can't wait to see the adult Laker matures into. Connie is close to her 6 yr old golden, but will confess she never imagined the help Laker is and how easily he seems to learn her needs. Their bond is incredible to watch, as Laker watches her constantly and is always there when she calls. He sleeps next to her wheelchair, can bring her many items, will scratch the refrigerator when she tells him she needs water (hubby brings it). Amazing for a baby golden for sure.
Laker has never been walked! He came to them only 4 days before her accident. We have decided to meet 2 evenings a week and her DH and I walk the brothers together. Can't wait to get this started

Just said all this because our Goldens are a special breed as you know. If you have the patience to train as you recouperate and patience to know you both will be in the learning stage for a long time, this could be very do-able. It would have to be a family decision, but again just another suggestion to be able to look at this from another angle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts