Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Destroyer of Toys
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have never ever had a problem with Louie chewing anything up. A few times he got some things out of the trash, but nothing major. And once he hopped onto the counter and got into my bread pudding. Aside from that, he's never chewed up anything that isn't his. Until this week. He got my cookbooks in the spare room. Out of all the things in there that he could have gone after, he chewed them to pieces!!!

He stays in the spare room when I'm at school, otherwise he will sit in front of the front door and bark at anyone that walks into their apartment, or out. Or he'll get into the trash or the kitchen. I'm just wondering why all of a sudden these incidents? There wasn't food on the cookbooks, and he even had a toy in the room. I don't understand why he would do this after never having done it before? Did I possibly upset him?? :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
I feel your pain in losing your cook books, they are so vital and very expensive! Maybe little Louie is putting you on a new weight lose plan!

I don't have any electronic books, but I guess this is where they would have there advantage! However I really love the physical aspect and smell of books. Plus I love opening up a cook book and seeing all the ingredients stuck to the page from last time I cooked the recipe!!

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Plus I love opening up a cook book and seeing all the ingredients stuck to the page from last time I cooked the recipe!!
This may be why he went after the cook books. :)

I've also read here that many goldens adore paper products. You can try replacing your books online at places like Abe Books. I have purchased really expensive cookbooks in excellent condition for a song there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
he's hopped on the counter and went into the trash.
i'd say he's not completely house broken. he could be bored
being stuck in a room while you're at school. find someone
to come in and give him a break while you're at school.

We have never ever had a problem with Louie chewing anything up. A few times he got some things out of the trash, but nothing major. And once he hopped onto the counter and got into my bread pudding. Aside from that, he's never chewed up anything that isn't his. Until this week. He got my cookbooks in the spare room. Out of all the things in there that he could have gone after, he chewed them to pieces!!!

He stays in the spare room when I'm at school, otherwise he will sit in front of the front door and bark at anyone that walks into their apartment, or out. Or he'll get into the trash or the kitchen. I'm just wondering why all of a sudden these incidents? There wasn't food on the cookbooks, and he even had a toy in the room. I don't understand why he would do this after never having done it before? Did I possibly upset him?? :(

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,074 Posts
I would venture to guess he was bored!!! My guys have toys and bones all over the place yet my almost 3 year old has helped himself to a few paper products: his insurance policy. When I asked the insurance company for a replacement, they said he was obviously not happy with his policy; a Sunwing travel guide (guess he thought he should take a hot vacation; an atlas; a Sears catalogue and a puzzle. These occurred when he was a bit younger but I had to put paper things high on a shelf. Now that he's older and more mature, I can put the papers on the lower shelf but now when he's bored, he defluffs his blanket!!!

Maybe try providing him a couple of good chew bones (you can get chicken or peanut butter flavored) or something he can play with that will mentally stimulate him.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Yep, I agree with the others. Most likely a combination of boredom and the yummy smells from the cookbook. It's why dogs go after the garbage, too. To us, it stinks and is gross...to them it's a cornucopia of deliciousness!

I'd suggest a few things:

1) take him for a 30-45 minute, FAST paced walk in the mornings before you leave for school. You'll probably have to wake up earlier and it might be dark out, but it'll benefit your pup in the long run. If he's old enough - like older than 6 months - I'd also look into getting a backpack for him to wear on his walks. Start off with it empty and when he's older than 12 months, you can lightly fill it with weight. The key is to get him moving quickly so walk like you're late for an appointment, a brisk pace. Keep him at your side and don't let him wander off to smell things or pee every 2 minutes. You want to get him thinking and paying attention to you so he uses his brain, which will tire him out faster than if he was allowed to lolly gag around.

2) Get him a kibble dispensing toy or make your own and feed him breakfast in it. These take more time than just dumping kibble into a bowl so he'll have to use his brain and nose to get these to work. Brain + nose = mental stimulation = tired dog who doesn't get into trouble. Kong wobbler, a-maze-ball, squirrel dude, etc are all good kibble dispensing toys. Stretches breakfast out from a brain-dead 2 min of gulping down food to a 20 minute or longer activity. When I had my foster pups, they got ALL meals in a kong wobbler and I supervised while I put on make-up and did my hair before leaving for work.

3) Check out a good frozen kong recipe. (You can check my blog for a great one!) It shows you how to stuff kongs and freeze them so the dogs are always encouraged to eat it, but it still takes them an hour or longer. Start filling one up the night before and freezing it overnight. After walk and breakfast and right before you leave, put him in the spare room and give him the frozen kong.

Honestly, he needs to get some physical and mental exercise before being left for the day. Being left with a toy isn't enough...toys are only fun if they're being played WITH someone or being interactive. A boring toy he has every day and without anyone to interact with it (and him) isn't going to keep him out of trouble. A big walk, mental stimulation and a frozen kong (more mental stimulation) will definitely help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts