Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
We lost our 10 year old Golden in May. I've been researching breeders for at least 2 month now. For the past month I have exchanged messages with a breeder about 4 hours away. She has probably sent me a total of at least 50 pics and video's of her litter along with tons of information. I have been looking at one male in particular. Within the past week she has placed 2 males and the only remaining available pup in the litter is the male I have been looking at.

Of course it's only human nature to wonder "why didn't anyone else pick him?"

I must say that my initial excitement took a little bit of a hit when I read over his PAT scores that shows he needs a "high energy" home. The breeder feels like he was just excited the day of the testing. I have invested so much time into this pup and breeder but for some reason I still can't just say YES! The answer I cant figure out is WHY? He is certainly cute enough. The price is fair. His sire/dam have full OFA and genetic clearances. I love the breeder.

From what I understand there is someone else interested in him if I pass. I told the breeder I would let her know today. At least it's good to know that he is going to a home, either with me or someone else. I think some of my delimna is this. I like this pup, im just not 100% sure he's THE ONE. I couldn't tell you why because I just don't know. I have not seen him in person, only pics and videos. I've been looking for a sign to tell me but I haven't got it yet. The other part of my dilemma is that I really like this breeder and don't want to disappoint her. I don't want her to feel like she has invested all this time with me and then I end up not buying her pup. Being that we have messaged every day for the past month, we have got to know each other beyond our common interest in Goldens. I feel like we've become friends.

I had a heart to heart with my partner today about it. He's usually the one that is ready to pull the trigger on everything and im the one that is "the voice of reason" and has to list the pro's and con's :ROFLMAO: Well, he surprised me by saying he wasn't sure if he was ready for a new pup since it's only been four months since loosing our boy. Maybe thats should be the sign I have been looking for? I know that if I really wanted to move forward with getting the pup, he would be ok with that but now that I know he might not be ready, I need to respect his feelings.

I keep telling myself, it shouldn't be this difficult to make a decision if it's the right decision and the right pup. Then i look at the pics and video's of the pup and second guess myself. I don't want it to be one of those decisions that you make and wake up the next morning and the first thing on your mind is "what did I do?" I have no doubt if we got him that we would end up falling in love with him and give him a good life. How can you not fall in love with ANY golden?

All that being said, what's the purpose of my post? I don't know :ROFLMAO: I guess just wondering if im just an odd duck or if anyone else has been where I am.
Sounds like you’re just not ready yet. I totally get it, it took me forever to finally be ready after I lost my Dakota.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We lost our 10 year old Golden in May. I've been researching breeders for at least 2 month now. For the past month I have exchanged messages with a breeder about 4 hours away. She has probably sent me a total of at least 50 pics and video's of her litter along with tons of information. I have been looking at one male in particular. Within the past week she has placed 2 males and the only remaining available pup in the litter is the male I have been looking at.

Of course it's only human nature to wonder "why didn't anyone else pick him?"

I must say that my initial excitement took a little bit of a hit when I read over his PAT scores that shows he needs a "high energy" home. The breeder feels like he was just excited the day of the testing. I have invested so much time into this pup and breeder but for some reason I still can't just say YES! The answer I cant figure out is WHY? He is certainly cute enough. The price is fair. His sire/dam have full OFA and genetic clearances. I love the breeder.

From what I understand there is someone else interested in him if I pass. I told the breeder I would let her know today. At least it's good to know that he is going to a home, either with me or someone else. I think some of my delimna is this. I like this pup, im just not 100% sure he's THE ONE. I couldn't tell you why because I just don't know. I have not seen him in person, only pics and videos. I've been looking for a sign to tell me but I haven't got it yet. The other part of my dilemma is that I really like this breeder and don't want to disappoint her. I don't want her to feel like she has invested all this time with me and then I end up not buying her pup. Being that we have messaged every day for the past month, we have got to know each other beyond our common interest in Goldens. I feel like we've become friends.

I had a heart to heart with my partner today about it. He's usually the one that is ready to pull the trigger on everything and im the one that is "the voice of reason" and has to list the pro's and con's :ROFLMAO: Well, he surprised me by saying he wasn't sure if he was ready for a new pup since it's only been four months since loosing our boy. Maybe thats should be the sign I have been looking for? I know that if I really wanted to move forward with getting the pup, he would be ok with that but now that I know he might not be ready, I need to respect his feelings.

I keep telling myself, it shouldn't be this difficult to make a decision if it's the right decision and the right pup. Then i look at the pics and video's of the pup and second guess myself. I don't want it to be one of those decisions that you make and wake up the next morning and the first thing on your mind is "what did I do?" I have no doubt if we got him that we would end up falling in love with him and give him a good life. How can you not fall in love with ANY golden?

All that being said, what's the purpose of my post? I don't know :ROFLMAO: I guess just wondering if im just an odd duck or if anyone else has been where I am.
I was on a waiting list for a pup thinking I was going to be on the list a while. A few months went by when the breeder contacted me and said a pup was available if I want it. We passed on it because it was too soon after our girl had died from cancer. We were still grieving. Another few months another puppy was available and we were ready! She’s perfect and we got her at the right time! Good luck. All hearts heal differently.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a little late to this.

I lost my eight year old Golden to hemangiosarcoma of the heart last December. It was sudden and there were zero symptoms until the day she passed. She competed at an agility trial 5 days before and ran normally.

I picked up my puppy 4 months after she passed. I started looking at litters in January because it was the right time for me. The right time is different for everyone. I had to drive to the breeder 6 hours away to visit the litter when they were 6 weeks old - I had to see them myself before take home day. The breeder picks the puppy for the owner, but I fell in love in green collar boy and couldn't get him out of my head. I never told the breeder because what you see on one visit doesn't tell you everything about each puppy, plus they're still developing at 6 weeks old, but she just happened to pick him for me.

I made his first vet appointment 2 weeks before he came home and cried when I hung up the phone after I finished making the appointment. It felt weird making plans for a new dog.

I love my puppy. He has everything I hoped to have for my next puppy and I'm excited about our future together. I still miss my last dog. Thinking of her still makes me cry sometimes.
I just want to say that your post could have been written by me. Exact same thing happened to us four years ago in November. I knew very quickly that I wanted to get another golden and quickly for a few reasons. One, I wanted a puppy to bring some joy into our family that had been completely devastated by the sudden and unexpected passing of our Molly. my youngest child and Molly were soulmates and the sudden loss was very very painful. Two, our other dog was clearly very lonely and noticeably depressed and we knew we needed to get him a playmate. And three, I needed it. Like you I still can cry on a dime if I think about what happened or talk about Molly. But I'm (we're) in love with our second golden, Lola, who will be four in November. She brought a lot of joy to our family when we needed it. I think everyone has a different timeline and no one is right or wrong.

·
Registered
200 Posts
After my girl passed at 12 years old, I knew I wanted another girl. But not just any girl, I wanted a certain pedigree and temperament type. It took me 4 yrs to find my girl. And she is perfect! I looked at many litters, but like you, I just couldn’t commit. Then suddenly a litter showed up that seemed perfect. I committed and I got the perfect fit. I somehow knew this was the one. So maybe your intuition is just telling you to wait. The right one will come, sometimes it just takes time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wow, all good questions!
Why do you want a puppy? I miss my boy and i miss having a companion to love and share life with.

What are you looking for in a dog? A companion to love and share life with.

What do you think is missing with this puppy? I really don't know other than his PAT scores and comments labeled him "needing a high energy home". I wouldn't call us high energy. Not total couch potatoes but definitely NOT high energy. Breeder thinks he was just excited the day of the test. Also seeing my partners lack of enthusiasm when I showed him pics. He was like "oh, he's cute". He wasn't like "OMG..... we have to have him!".

If you decline this puppy, then which direction will you go? I will continue my search for the right pup.
When I finally found the girl I was searching for, after 4 years, it was a OMG moment. I knew this was the litter, though there were three girls, so I didn’t know which one, but I did know this was the litter. When I met the girls I wanted two of them and I couldn’t decide between them. So I took the one that picked me and am so glad I did! This girl was the One! The One I was searching 4 years to find!

·
Registered
5 Posts
It took me 11 years to be sure I wanted another golden. I love the breed but I needed to make sure I wasn’t just trying to replace the one that died. Every pup is an individual and will not be the dog you lost.
If you’re ready and the pup is right, you’ll feel 100% sure it’s right. Doesn’t sound like you’re there yet.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts